Sexy Oscars Painful Problem

Kirislin

This is a bit saucy but not intentionally, if there's somewhere I can ask then it's here. :happydance:

Oscar keeps getting erections but they often cant go down and last night he needed emergency veterinary attention.

the background: Oscar was bred by me and sold at 10 weeks, I am now friends with his mum so we see alot of each other

He was neutered at about 5 months old I think and has the typical small penis and sheath that dogs seem to have when they've been neutered before puberty. He often gets these raging erections where the fully exposed glans swells so that it seems to have trouble going down again, made worse by him licking it because it hurts him.

It happened last night and just wouldn't/couldn't go down and my friend first tried running cool water on it without success so had to take him to the emergency vet! He eventually had it manipulated back with a bit of KY.

I think the problem is the opening in his sheath is small and once he gets his erection it's a bit like a band around it trapping the blood. I suspect it's potentially dangerous for him and I wonder if he needs surgery to open the sheath a bit. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing being required?

and here's the sexy fellow himself in my siggy. might have to call him Priapus from now on.

Edited by Kirislin

hes sexy all right !! :champagne: sorry cant add advise though except as yr friend did cold water poured on!!or into cold bath ,please keep us updated with out come((of problem ) :happydance: not the penis ,

OH dear, poor Oscar, I hope he's not going to become the subject of jokes :happydance: It's a good thing he cant read.

The cold water didn't work, I was sure it would but nothing was going to stop the poor boy last night, only the gentle intervention of a (lady) vet.

gee, maybe it's a rare problem, I've never seen or heard of it being a problem for dogs before and by the lack of response here I think perhaps it really is. I thought with so many people reading this forum I might get some other similar stories.

I will suggest she definitely talk to a vet about it anyway and report back here with the results, for all those doggys too shy to fess up that they too suffer with it.

Poor thing,

It is not uncommon in humans and is corrected with a circumcision. (don't ask me how I know I just do).

I am aware of a similar problem in drakes (male ducks), however they have really a long curly appendage that easily gets stuck. In ducks it's urgent to gently manipulate it back in the bird with moisturisure before it dries out :cry: .

Poor thing,

It is not uncommon in humans and is corrected with a circumcision. (don't ask me how I know I just do).

I am aware of a similar problem in drakes (male ducks), however they have really a long curly appendage that easily gets stuck. In ducks it's urgent to gently manipulate it back in the bird with moisturisure before it dries out :cry: .

circumcision is sort of what I suspect he needs, well not exactly, I think the opening needs to be made bigger but I just dont know if that's something vets do to dogs.

Didn't think male dogs could get an erection when neutered?

Neutering removes the testes and from what I understand this has little or no influence on their ability to have an erection

Edited by FionaC

The condition is called paraphimosis - it's not common but it's not rare. There is a surgery for this problem which involves making an incision in the prepuce to create a larger opening. If the swelling does not reduce, it can certainly become an emergency situation requiring immediate surgery.

The condition is called paraphimosis - it's not common but it's not rare. There is a surgery for this problem which involves making an incision in the prepuce to create a larger opening. If the swelling does not reduce, it can certainly become an emergency situation requiring immediate surgery.

Aha! thankyou, this is exactly what I thought needs to be done. It makes sense So it has an official name. I cant help wondering if it's not to do with early neutering, because he wasn't fully developed before getting the chop. I dont know though for sure, it's just my suspicion.

One case that I have seen which required emergency surgery was a 5 month old entire SBT, and another was a 9mth old entire dog, so I'm not sure how much influence early neutering would have as the 'equipment' still works in essentially the same way :laugh: He initially had a larger releasing incision made so that the prepuce could cover the penis. It took another 7 or 8 days for the penis to return to even an 'average' appearance, at which time he had a repeat surgery to modify to preputial opening to a more appropriate size.

When B was about 5/6 months old he got waaaayyyyy too excited and his lipstick got stuck out.

We rang the emergency vet (because as these things happen it was a Sunday at around 3pm) and they informed us that if it didn't go back in half an hour that we had to take him in.

Half an hour came with B still looking very unconfortable and his pink bit not going in and we headed to the vet. They got it back but she did mention that it was bad enough that she was considering surgery if her final go at it didn't work. She said it was reasonably commom in younger dogs and that desexing can lessen the chance of it happening again.

So i moved his desexing op forward and it has never hapenned again. :laugh:

it's strange that two of you have said desexing will solve the problem because Oscar is already desexed. He's not a horny type dog either, he doesn't hump dogs very often. Anyway I will get my friend to read what's been said here and I think she will probably consider an op for poor Oscar.

One of my boys has this problem. He was doing before he was desexed and has continued after being desexed. The whole penis comes out as well as the glands. It looks so painful for him but he loves it :thumbsup: .

The phrase "hung like a chihuahua" is not an insult in this house. He's a very big boy :( it almost touches the ground when he is standing up.

Anyway, about 2 in 5 times it will get stuck out so I give him an hour to work it back himself otherwise I use the lube on him to put it back. I have no idea how the sheath stretches so much and then snaps back into shape so quickly afterwards.

I've been thinking I should get the op done so it goes back in easier for him but my vet said if it hurt him, he wouldn't be doing it.

But his teddy bear is very attractive :laugh:

People that have seen me put it back in for him think I'm a nutter but I don't see the point in paying the Emergency vet $300 for something I can quite easily do at home.

The only difference between desexing and entire is when he was entire he would ejaculate all over the place. Desexed? no mess :D