Puppy Peeing On Dinner Bowl?!?

ebonyblackdog

We have a reasonably new addition to our family, Zack. He's about 4-6 months old and we've had him for about a month now. He gets along beautifully with our other dog, Ebony. He has started a strange habit. Last week he piddled on Ebony's bowl after they'd finished dinner. He got roused on as we caught him in the act. We thought that was the end of it. Then last night he piddled on his own bowl after he'd eaten. Again he got roused on. This doesnt strike me as normal behaviour, there are no fights over food, so I don't think that's the problem. He is only a puppy, so I'm hoping he will grow out of it. Is there anything we should be doing to prevent this behaviour or watching for.

Occasional little teenage boy dogs are just "gross", (by human standards). :wink:

Some outgrow it because they feel sure of their status and others will retain the inclination throughout their lives. By marking the food bowls he is staking a claim, establishing himself, investing in or buying some "property". :laugh:

If he becomes a nuisance with scent marking, de-sexing may help before it has become an entrenched behaviour .

Otherwise just remove bowl as suggested. :) His marking is merely another variation of normal doggy behaviour.

Thanks for your help. I will remove the food bowls in future. I think you're right he may want to claim some ownership, he is showing other "teenagerish" behaviour too, I feel. Like selective hearing etc.

He is desexed, but the operation was done about a month ago when he was at the RSPCA.

I know that boys tend to mark, but I thought food bowls would be safe, given how dogs "normally" don't like to do their business anywhere near their bed/food. :laugh:

Edited by ebonyblackdog

I have a nearly 4 yo bitch who does this, once she has eaten she will pee in her bowl, she will then check who else has finished and then pee in their bowls.

Shes the boss of the pack and wont do it if she can see me,

Supervise and seperate at feeding times

I had to have a bit of a giggle when I read this topic... We got a lovely and very affectionate Kelpie male "Sammy" from the pound with a history of abuse and neglect, I found when we went to dog training he'd pee on everything...including me, at home he'd pee in his bowl.

Anyway long story short I was horrified and apart from the standard theory of marking his territory I had no idea why he was doing it, and he's not a dominate dog and I wouldn't class him as ever being leader of our dog pack. I eventually worked out that when he was anxious he would mark what was "his"... (plus the bowl) And generally now things go okay and he knows not to pee on me, that and I've learnt to get out of the way (especially when he's put in a new situation) :rofl:

His latest target was my new 12 week old pup "Pippa" ...I only just got her out of the way of being claimed by pee when we went to Sammy's dog training class last week. :rofl:

I'm glad I'm not alone with the peeing in the bowl behaviour... and I'm happy to say it has actually stopped happening. :rolleyes: