Food To Use When Obedience Training?

Guest english.ivy

I prefer to steer away from cheese and any of the processed foods like ham, sausages & hotdogs (too high in both fat & sodium).

As I only do one class a week, I buy lamb/chicken/pork stir fry strips from the supermarket and steam them. I then cut them into small pieces.

Any other treats during the week are healthy treats with no added colours, preservatives, additives etc.

Things such as: best mates, supa naturals range (chicken sticks & chicken strips) dried duck pieces, dried liver treats, evo treats, dried fish etc.

The club where June goes (sorry, belgian.blue :rolleyes: ) actually suggest a slightly more moist food rather than dry food/treats.

I think Dave suggested Clinkers or Clunkers or something (?) to me? They were quite good - cut in half or quartered.....

But then I used to run around with half a BBQ chicken in my treat pouch (boy I was popular with the others dogs!) and wouldn't bother feeding my dog first before training - and oh boy did I have his attention! LOL!!

I always used to take a damp flannel (face washer) in a plastic bag with me as well as I hated having icky fingers *screws up face*

The club where June goes (sorry, belgian.blue :rolleyes: ) actually suggest a slightly more moist food rather than dry food/treats.

I think Dave suggested Clinkers or Clunkers or something (?) to me? They were quite good - cut in half or quartered.....

But then I used to run around with half a BBQ chicken in my treat pouch (boy I was popular with the others dogs!) and wouldn't bother feeding my dog first before training - and oh boy did I have his attention! LOL!!

I always used to take a damp flannel (face washer) in a plastic bag with me as well as I hated having icky fingers *screws up face*

Our club made the same suggestion, because softer or more moist food is easier and faster for the dog to consume.

I also make sure that the food I use in training is very high value to the dog, and as such is not something they get at any other time.

Guest belgian.blue

Hehe i was slack and didn't prepare for last nights class and wow my treats were messy. Ivy was covered in food by the end of it and we had a family of flies hanging around .. but she loved it and gave 110% attention!!

We start back on Jan 15th I think so I'm going to be all prepared to start the new year :rolleyes:

MUST GET A TREAT/BUM BAG!!!!

Boiled chicken and stirfry strips sound good to me. I'm also interested in getting my hands on some Evo food, where do you get it yourself Koolietas?

On a side note .. Ivy is doing wonderful at training apart from stay. We need some practice but she's a smart pup.

I use sweet potato, pumpkin and cheese cut into small cubes for my girl with allergies......... She can also have dried goat or fish which she loves

Frosty Paws are good for Jackpot containers....

Chunkers are good - but tend to go smelly really quickly. There are other Ball type treats called Guppy Pets - they come in chicken and vege, lamb, steak or kangaroo varieties - which the kids love. They are bigger than a chunker and can be cut or broken into smaller bits.

Have to say that the kids don't spend a lot of time chewing the treats - one gulp and they are gone :rolleyes:

Boiled chicken and stirfry strips sound good to me. I'm also interested in getting my hands on some Evo food, where do you get it yourself Koolietas?

Yeah - they're probably not the cheapest treat to use - but you can cut them into small pieces and they don't need to chew.

The Evo food...I get from a local Pet Goods Direct store. They are treat sized biscuits (not small pieces like kibble) but they break easily into small pieces, and I can just put a few in my pocket and break them whilst we're walking. No grains. They are the only place that I know of in the state that sell Evo.

I buy the Kangaroo Mini Roasts that are in a herb and garlic sauce/marinade. About 30 mins in the oven then take them out, dice them up and throw into zip lock bags and freeze. BIG winner at our place and they are only about $10/kg which works out a lot cheaper than many commercial treats.

Itend to use a mixture of sausages (OH seems to steal them though) cut into small pieces, cheese in small pieces or boiled chicken again in small pieces. Easier to swallow while training without much chewing. I've also used the bacon bits you can get from the deli in the supermarket

I've found kangaroo sausages,chicken breast boiled,sausages(chicken and beef),cheese,cabanossi,frankfurts and devon or chicken rolls the easiest.

I generally watch out for items reduced to clear ,cook if required and cut up and freeze.

Liverwurst goes down a treat as well.I usually find a small jar/container and give a few licks as a reward