Shiba Inus, Siberian Huskies Ect

A friend of a friend has a Shiba Inu who will just bolt if she gets out the yard, I have heard of huskies doing the same thing when out walking if they get off leash. I've never owned these breeds so I'm just wondering from those who either own them or have experience training them what drives them to behave like this ? huskies just being bred for running ? or strong prey drive- get whiff of something and they are just off ?

For those who have trained them how did you go about getting a reliable recall ? How did you motivate the dog ? Can they be sensitive to corrections ?

thanks,

Katie.

Ask Huski, she is the expert on sibe recall :rofl:

Speaking for myself my guy will bolt and while he was very very good in early training as he matured he got more difficult to motivate, everything else is more interesting than whatever I am trying to get him to come back for :rofl:

A friend of a friend has a Shiba Inu who will just bolt if she gets out the yard, I have heard of huskies doing the same thing when out walking if they get off leash. I've never owned these breeds so I'm just wondering from those who either own them or have experience training them what drives them to behave like this ? huskies just being bred for running ? or strong prey drive- get whiff of something and they are just off ?

For those who have trained them how did you go about getting a reliable recall ? How did you motivate the dog ? Can they be sensitive to corrections ?

thanks,

Katie.

Hi Kate

I can't speak for Shibas but IMO, when it comes to breeds like Sibes its a combination of traits: high prey drive, stubbornness, the breed is bred to think for themselves and their instinct to run is very strong. That and many spitz like to take advantage when they know they can! Give them an inch and they will take a mile. Many sibes are known escape artists and a secure yard is a must.

When it comes to how do you motivate the dog and are they sensitive etc - I would definitely say it does depend on the individual. My sibe has a high prey drive, but I have unintentionally conditioned him to retrieving - that is, every time I bring a toy out he expects me to throw it so he can chase it. So whilst I could develop his prey drive the way I want to, he also has a very high food drive so its easy to train him this way.

Where about is your friend located?

Ask Huski, she is the expert on sibe recall :(

Speaking for myself my guy will bolt and while he was very very good in early training as he matured he got more difficult to motivate, everything else is more interesting than whatever I am trying to get him to come back for :rofl:

LOL I'm no expert, I just believe attaining a recall with a Sibe is possible :thumbsup::rofl:

ETA: When my sibe was young he got out of the yard and would bolt, he ran onto a busy main road and narrowly avoided being hit by a car. The times he has gotten out of the yard have been very rare - but in more recent times since I have been working on his recall, the front door was left open by a guest and he got out: as soon as I called him, he can running back and went inside. Not saying his recall is 100% or anything, but boy was I glad that he listened to me! :mad

Edited by huski

My Akita has surprisingly good recall! :rofl:

However, good recall in the house or yard or friends place or even off-leash park doesn't really translate to good recall after escaping the yard - there's a difference between coming when called and coming back when escaping!!!

I find the best thing to do is make excitable high pitched noises and then run as fast as you can in the opposite direction - doggy will then turn and chase you rather than expecting you to chase them!

That and never ever ever let your spitz escape in the first place :rofl: x

My sibe has a good recall though i still wouldn't let him off leash anywhere unless it was closed in! At obedience he never misses a recall command - but that doesn't mean that it's perfect. If he was ever to get out, he would totally ignore my call and if i chased him, he would run in the opposite direction.

Sam's advice is good - run away from them making loud high pitched noises. Zero runs towards me if i do that because it's become a more interesting game. Having a jackpot treat (like a pigs ear) also helps!

I agree with what the others have side so far.

My Samoyed has an ok recall right now (not great for the breed as they should be much better, being working dogs and all :rofl: ) and getting better. I have been forced to run around like a loon trying to get him back before, I think everypne thought I had lost my mind :rofl: but it does work.

I now have him to the point where he wont try to dash out the door at all, but waits calmly while I step out and call him, we can now go for short walks around our property without him running off (even with roo's and ducks around) and when he does get a little distracted I call him to me, he gets a nice yummy treat and a cuddle (which he will do anything for) so far so good.

Edited by Wolfsong