Tug It Starter

4 Paws

OMG,I just had to report back I receive the tug it starter today and loaded it up with 2 frankfurts.Just got my girl who has never shown any interest in tuging before and after about 30 seconds actually started tugging it and really got into it.Couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

After she had a really strong tug on it I thought for sure it would have a hole in it but it's fine as she really had her teeth latched on.The food comes out really good(just watch your self get covered in the squished contents)

So overall a great product I'd recommend :cheer:

How awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

OMG,I just had to report back I receive the tug it starter today and loaded it up with 2 frankfurts.Just got my girl who has never shown any interest in tuging before and after about 30 seconds actually started tugging it and really got into it.Couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

After she had a really strong tug on it I thought for sure it would have a hole in it but it's fine as she really had her teeth latched on.The food comes out really good(just watch your self get covered in the squished contents)

Thanks for your input laffi.Do you have the starter one or the 2nd one?Has it gotton any holes at all in them over time?

Thanks for all your input laffi.Do you have the starter one or the 2nd one?Has it gotton any holes at all in them over time?

Thanks for your input laffi.Do you have the starter one or the 2nd one?Has it gotton any holes at all in them over time?

I have the starter one and LP has the advanced one. Hers just has smaller holes (so harder to get food).

I have to admit I haven't been using it recently so it's still looking great. :laugh:

I think once you get your dog to tug with food in tug-it you can start by slowly getting her on to tug with toys. First I would start with a frankfurter in a sock so it's still food/smell but less or no food.

That's fantastic 4paws!

Like Laffi said - once you get the interest in tugs - I would alternate to the jackpot tugs (the links I sent earlier) then a plaited tug.

The jackpot tug because there is still food in there (just not squeezing out)

and then the plaited tug coz you can insert small pieces of food in there too :cheer:

I think it's awesome she was tugging so well. I will give mine a try at the cathy slot seminar and let you know how it goes.

Yes - they aren't terribly strong 4 paws because of the mesh - however they would be pretty easy to replicate - just get some shadecloth and all you'd have to do is sew a pice together :love:.

I used mine for the first time last night and put some chicken chunkers in there. Mine is the advanced one, but it has already been pierced (but not enough to warrant it 'broken'... just so food comes out faster... smart dogs!). They absolutely loved it and really increased their drive to the 'dead' toy (mine previously would run to me rather than the toy lying on the ground when practicing training!).... A definite plus.

I had several dogs steal it off me and tug with me, even though their owners professed they have never tugged before in their life :rofl:

So a definite 8/10 for me... the only downside is that because of the mesh, it doesn't last long at all :rofl:

Yes - they aren't terribly strong 4 paws because of the mesh - however they would be pretty easy to replicate - just get some shadecloth and all you'd have to do is sew a pice together :love:.

I used mine for the first time last night and put some chicken chunkers in there. Mine is the advanced one, but it has already been pierced (but not enough to warrant it 'broken'... just so food comes out faster... smart dogs!). They absolutely loved it and really increased their drive to the 'dead' toy (mine previously would run to me rather than the toy lying on the ground when practicing training!).... A definite plus.

I had several dogs steal it off me and tug with me, even though their owners professed they have never tugged before in their life :rofl:

So a definite 8/10 for me... the only downside is that because of the mesh, it doesn't last long at all :rofl:

Heard from AgilityClick and they contacted the makers and have been told the advanced one is stronger so i'm going to order it plus they are giving me free freight which is great PR From them

i think my girl was getting it too far down in her mouth,basically eating the tug so that may have been the cause.

May look at making something similar with shadecloth

I make my own 'tugging pouches' designed to get dogs to interact with toys and sell them at the club where I instruct - but I did buy one of the 'advanced' tugs for one of my kelpies - not because there's any difficulty getting him tug but just because I thought he'd like it - which he does.

He has had 2 or 3 pretty full on sessions with it so far and no damage as yet so four paws up for the fabric.

There are some things about the design I don't like though - firstly the mesh is strong but not really all that soft (don't know about the beginning one) so I'm not sure it would appeal to all dogs - guess the lure of the food might overcome that? I have found that some dogs will only entertain the idea of tugging with very soft fabric and this is not.

Secondly, I don't like the narrow opening at the top where the food goes in.

Not all that much comes out from the holes in the advanced one and I prefer using something that I can also target the dog to and the dog will get an instant reward , rather than picking this up and getting a lick. Although for an already tugging dog, it's fine.

I prefer something with a wider opening at the top and reinforced so that it actually sits open on the ground and the dog can get food out itself.

I don't think it's fair to take a food crazy dog that is not yet into tugging and then the only food reward that the dog gets for interacting with the toy is a tiny bit of food that squeezes out the holes. And the opening is so small that if you do take out some food for the dog you have to feed it yourself rather than letting the dog get it out. And it's a bugar to get the left over food out at the end and clean.

The one thing that I do like about the design though is that if you put heavy enough food inside (chicken necks, etc) it's easy to accurately throw to reward.

Secondly, I don't like the narrow opening at the top where the food goes in.

Not all that much comes out from the holes in the advanced one and I prefer using something that I can also target the dog to and the dog will get an instant reward , rather than picking this up and getting a lick. Although for an already tugging dog, it's fine.

I prefer something with a wider opening at the top and reinforced so that it actually sits open on the ground and the dog can get food out itself.

I don't think it's fair to take a food crazy dog that is not yet into tugging and then the only food reward that the dog gets for interacting with the toy is a tiny bit of food that squeezes out the holes. And the opening is so small that if you do take out some food for the dog you have to feed it yourself rather than letting the dog get it out. And it's a bugar to get the left over food out at the end and clean.

The one thing that I do like about the design though is that if you put heavy enough food inside (chicken necks, etc) it's easy to accurately throw to reward.

I do agree about the small opening and difficulty to clean etc :rofl:.

however I've found the opposite - I think they do get an instant reward when they tug/lick/ pick up the tug-it, and it's a great way to encourage tugging. I have found personally, with my own dogs, if they have one where they can grab the food themselves, they aren't terribly interested in learning how to tug, as it just becomes another dispenser of food. I love the tug-it because it is a great way of using the primary drive and get the dog to initiate tugging.... wel that's what I found :love:

Im wondering if the dog is actually tuging the toy (being in prey drive) or tugging the food (being in food drive)

I would be worried about tugging of food, IMHO it could create possessiveness behaviors over food.

I dont really understand the purpose of this toy, dogs tug in prey drive so if they are being rewarded with food this isnt developing their prey drive only food drive

And if you are to reward with food because the dog loves food why not just do that direactly rather than via a sophisticated toy??

Or why not just tug with a chicken wing? :(

Edited by MonElite

Im wondering if the dog is actually tuging the toy (being in prey drive) or tugging the food (being in food drive)

I would be worried about tugging of food, IMHO it could create possessiveness behaviors over food.

I dont really understand the purpose of this toy, dogs tug in prey drive so if they are being rewarded with food this isnt developing their prey drive only food drive

And if you are to reward with food because the dog loves food why not just do that direactly rather than via a sophisticated toy??

Or why not just tug with a chicken wing? :o

Because I would like some fingers left! :rofl:

i was reading this thread with the same question running thru my mind. I have the opposite problem of mine going nuts to grab the tugs or rags... just out of curiosity have you tried to just thread a rag thry the leash handle (so that you have the hard clip part in your hand) and drag it around as if you were playing with a kitten? once the dog has a firm grab then grab on both sides of rag and tug??

my pom does it too and will fight my shepherds for the rag/tugs when i bring my toys out.

sorry i'm just curious... it seems like we're all forgetting the "simple" techniques :rofl:

In my particular situation, I'm not that concerned if my girl learns to play tug or not, my issue is that she has no interest in toys so not sure how I am supposed to teach her to retrieve when she has no care factor to pick things up in her mouth or fetch them! Would a tug it starter help with this or am I looking in the wrong direction?

Meanwhile, my other girl is a tugging NUT. Can't leave leave her rope toy lying around or she'll rope anyone into playing tug with her! :eek:

Ruby81 - I could quite possibly help.... it really depends on the dog.

I have found it to be great as my dogs would usually finish a series of jumps then run back to me... even if there is a tug on the ground (and yes they tug!)

With this sort of thing, or that training tube, I have been able to get them to run TO the toy rather than coming straight back to me. I prefer doing this rather than an open target plate with food on there, because I usually am not quick enough to prevent them from getting the food :eek:

For me, these toys have worked really well.... especially in very distracting/ stressful situations.

Thanks guys. And thanks for the link to teaching retrieve with a clicker, I'll give that a good read when I'm not at work :eek:

I taught Ruby to retrieve with no formality to it, no wonder it took me so long! This time with Millie I wanna get it right, even if she has no interest in picking things up in her mouth, yet :eek::eek: