Free Range Meats

Leema

ALL chickens raised for meat are 'free range'

Really? I never knew that... so what is the difference between 'normal' chicken and the free-range stuff (the Mt Barker stuff is actually heaps cheaper at my butcher anyway)

Free Range Park is readily available these days too from Linley Valley PPC - and I'd be of the assumption that ALL beef & lamb/mutton is free-range? Not sure what other 'meats' you are referring to?

I understand meat chickens are not kept in stalls like battery hens, but I believe the title 'free range' means that these birds have more space available to them than broiler birds. But you raise an interesting point and I should look into labelling restrictions....

I will check the central market and butchers. Thanks for the suggestions. :thumbsup:

It's definitely worth reading the label carefully! The number of times I see 'hormone-free' chickens :) - NO chicken in Australia is given hormones! However, antibiotic free is an important factor - that's why certified organic is probably a better way to go.

The other difficulty is that 'free-range' is not necessarily better welfare - it can appear better and can be better but it is all about management. Chickens don't normally live in flocks of hundreds or thousands such as those you see in barn laid or free range hens - it can cause increased stress, disease, feather pecking. Plus it is much more difficult for the stock people to check the health of each bird. I don't like the lack of space available for caged hens either but I have seen some amazing systems that, despite their huge size, are incredibly clean, sweet smelling with birds that are not squawking in fear or showing any health problems - again it's about management. There is a fair bit of research currently examining these problems.