Allergic Basenji

Siobhan

Hi All --

After the loss of Kai (our 7mth old German Shepherd) four months ago my husband and I finally feel ready to take on another dog. We've decided to rescue one and have found quite a sweetheart that we're interested in - a 18mth old Basenji cross.

The only concern with him is that he has an allergy to clover grass. We are not sure of the exact details at this stage, but it looks as though he's allergic to touching it (as opposed to inhaling the pollen). Aside from the obvious avoidance of clover grass - which would be near impossible unless we kept him inside permanently - what can people suggest with regards to preventative measures to minimise major outbreaks? I'd rather avoid putting him on long term medication if I can, but are there things like Telfast for dogs??

His foster mother let me know that she washes him with a medicated shampoo and puts aloe vera cream on his skin after being in long grass, but I've read that medicated shampoos can often make the problem worse with prolonged use as it lessens the immunity of the skin. Is there a natural alternative that I can use instead?

If we are successful in adopting him, the first thing I intend to do is put him on a immunity booster diet. Does anyone know of a good one? Or where I can get a receipe to make one myself?

Thanks Guys - I eagerly anticipate your advice

Cheers

Diesel has allergies (haven't had him tested but from placement etc it seems likely to be contact - so grasses etc). I would have a think first before you decide to adopt a dog with allergies - allergies are expensive to treat, and from my experience and talking to vets about it a lot more than I would like, it can be a lifelong struggle to keep them comfortable. Diesel is often itchy and there is a place on his flank he chews and I can't get the hair to grow back. I find it very stressful and really hope I don't get another dog with allergies.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. My Silky x Malt gets allergies and I can only put it down to grass.

I've tried different diets, malaseb washes, metho dips, vinegar.. (yes i was gettin desperate!) every cream possible from dog to human type and the only thing that stops him chewing himself is Prednisolone. :banghead:

Depends if it is a contact allergy it might be controlled with a spray called Cortovance - steroid that does not get into the blood stream. But if he is like many with many different allergies, you could be on a long road to discover what and how to control it - antihistamines, food trials, allergy testing, possibly even a drug called Atopica .... the possibilities are almost seemingly endless as I have discovered with my allergy GR boy - still not on the home straight :banghead:

We have a dog that is fairly allergic to beef and grass etc. We converted to the barf diet and use a product called vitaskin from greenpet.com.au - when she was really bad she was also on drops from greenpet. She is great now although if we don't give her vitaskin for a few weeks (like when we thought she no longer needed it) she flares up again. Good Luck

Keep in mind that pollens are also absorbed through the skin, so while it may appear that its simply a contact allergy, it's quite possible its still pollens. Allergies can be a real struggle to deal with, and as already said, expensive. Keep in mind that atopic dogs also generally get worse with age.

If you do decide to adopt this dog, I suggest you find a good dermatologist and get started on the treatment process asap.

Wow so many itchy dogs - I feel your pain

I have a 14 mo itchy whippet - I suspect grass

Worlds best product recommended on DOL - can't find the posts somewhere a little while back

EPO(evening primrose oil) shampoo - vet grade initially to settle things then normal

Also available in supplement for diet

Wash every 4 days until settled says to blow dry to really penetrate hair follicle - I cheat and just do her chest where she itches.

Miraculous after 1 wash less redness and weaping. 2 washes almost gone

Was not infavour of drugging the dog with steriod or antihistamines - I am a doctor and know the damage they do even the ones applied to the skin are absorbed heaps and heaps

Nasty

EPO is available from :

Vic - www.groomersproducts.com.au - wonderful people with lots of great advice

or

Bris https://www.classicshowsupplies.com.au

Can't say enough about how good this stuff really is - lots more testimonies on the other postings

Hi Guys -

This is why I love this forum. Everyone has so much experience with all sorts of problems. Thanks for all your advise! I'll keep watching this thread to see if anything else comes up. :laugh:

At the moment we are still weighing up our options with regards to adopting this dog. Given our most recent experience, I have to admit that I'm thinking long and hard as I'm not sure I have the energy to take on another high maintenance dog. :rofl: We will be having a meet and greet with him at some stage this weekend and we'll make our decision from there. All your advice will be taken into consideration - especially those of you who have first hand experience with scratchy pups.

I'll let you all know how it turns out. BTW we also have our eye on a young pup who looks promising, with no allergies :rofl:

Cheers

Hi Guys -

This is why I love this forum. Everyone has so much experience with all sorts of problems. Thanks for all your advise! I'll keep watching this thread to see if anything else comes up. :)

At the moment we are still weighing up our options with regards to adopting this dog. Given our most recent experience, I have to admit that I'm thinking long and hard as I'm not sure I have the energy to take on another high maintenance dog. :cheers: We will be having a meet and greet with him at some stage this weekend and we'll make our decision from there. All your advice will be taken into consideration - especially those of you who have first hand experience with scratchy pups.

I'll let you all know how it turns out. BTW we also have our eye on a young pup who looks promising, with no allergies :cheer:

Cheers

If you go with the young pup make sure you take out insurance immediately as that way if anything develops then you have that to help you out. Thank god I took out insurance when I did as 2 mths later the allergies started and I would be up sh*t creek without a pad right now if I didn't have it due to the on going nature of allergies.

I would bathe the sore area with Malaseb once a week and leave on for 5 minutes each time while he is standing in the bath.

Give fish oil capsules every day with the evening meal and apply Paw Paw ointment to the red areas. Works like a charm to clear up eczma and dermatitis, especially contact dermatitis.

Once under control its not a high maintenance problem at all.

Could be just a problem during this season of the year.

My dogs sometimes have this problem for a coupel of months a year and are fine for the rest of the year.

Edited by Miffy

May I ask what the Basenji is crossed with?

They reckon he's crossed with a Fox Terrier. I don't have a hard time believing that as he has certain Foxie traits.

Just so you all know too... Unfortuantely we got in too late with him as he was adopted by another family on the weekend (a bit sad for us, but great for him - so we are happy). Probably best anyway as we were still having doubts about the allergy issue. As we were looking at several dogs, we checked out the Blue Cross Animal Shelter in Wonga Park, Victoria and found our perfect little man. :eek: A Mini Foxie crossed with who knows what (probably Jack Russell) named Chili. He doesn't have any medical issues that we know of yet, so that's a good sign. He's coming home on Saturday, so will upload pictures when I have them.

Thanks again to everyone for their very helpful advise. Given I've never had a scratchy dog before, it certainly helped me make an informed decision - even if we didn't adopt him in the end!