Sheltie Owners

Does anyone have a sheltie with allergies and if so what antihystermine works best? I have tried Claratyne for a week without sucess and have just started Zyrtek. I hear it is a process of elimination to find out which one works best for your dog but would like to speed up the process as Kasper has scratched all the fur off from around his eyes :(

Hi.. I would be going back to the vet, and explaining the situation. Tell teh vet that you don't want cortisone injections..and ask for an alternative :( It's YOUR call !

Kasper may need some locally applied cream to help around his eyes... there is always the risk of more inflammation and infection.

Dogs' allergies can be to anything, remember.. carpet shampoo, anything sprayed on the grass at the park.. different grasses.. dust containing pollen or chemicals can cause reactions...

Does anyone have a sheltie with allergies and if so what antihystermine works best? I have tried Claratyne for a week without sucess and have just started Zyrtek. I hear it is a process of elimination to find out which one works best for your dog but would like to speed up the process as Kasper has scratched all the fur off from around his eyes :(

My sheltie x has Iramine--from the vet. She is only allergic for a very short time each year. I assume it's a very specific grass or plant. The Iramine works pretty well.

Di

If I recall Kasper is quite a young dog and you certainly dont want him on any form of cortisone/steroid for any length of time. :(

There is a human cortosteroid cream, Aristocort, which worked for Panda when he had D.L.E. which would be an alternative to steroids given my mouth.

It will depend on what allergies he has i.e. grass, paspalum, wandering jew?

Perhaps pop your questions into the sheltie thread?, there are a number of sheltie breeders there who dont often visit Health and Grooming and may not see your post. :laugh:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...&start=7410

• 2 weeks later...

Both my shelties have hayfever/allergies (it is rife in Canberra).

I use a hayfever tablet from the vet for my male on the bad days before we go out. But I know most of the owners from our local oval use either polaramine or phenergan.

My female is a constant paw licker so she gets a 6wkly shot during the worst months - it works wonders and it is an antihistimine not a steroid. I can't remember what the shot was called but I am sure your vet would know. It doesnt matter what she is allergic too as it works broadly.