Hot Spot

I would suggest an elizabethan collar on his head to break the licking cycle and give th sore a chance to heal.

Bath it in warm salty water and dry.

If it is really wet and weepy then curash powder (baby nappy rash powder from the chemist or supermarket). If it's not that wet then curash ointment.

chuckie.. how long has he had this? Is it on the upper surface of his 'wrist'?

It may be a hotspot.. but ,maybe....

I am thinking it could be a lick granuloma ...hard to tell without looking !just thinking out loud :love:

These are very annoying!

It starts with a nerve irritation.. dog licks it .. it feels a bit better... 'itch' /lick... skin gets a bit red/lick/skin gets worse, bacteria enter/lick... etc etc...

If you think it may be one of these.. see the vet.

he will probably need an elizabethan collar or soft basket muzzle to break the cycle, either way. You MAY be able to use a bitter spray to stop him... instead .

it wasn't getting much better and i was out of town (in sydney) so i just took him to the nearest vet. they turned out to be very very nice.

Well she didn't give it a name. she shaved the hair around it. then washed it with pink chlorhexidine i think. then put some illium neocort on it. i said had some of that so i will apply the ilium neocort on it from now on till it clears. She recommended the pyrohex shampoo on the paws twice weekly. started that to-nite. and there is a leave in conditioner, but i haven't tried that yet. she did suggest oral antibiotics also, but i hesitated on this (maybe i should of taken them too, regreting that i didn't now), because i'd rather try the topical stuff as it seems to be a topical problem not a systemic one. she did not disagree with this and said it still should clear up without the oral antibiotics. well if it doesn't drastically improve by the w/end, i'll go again to my local vet. i'm keen to try the pryohex oiitment - that sounds good.

Sorry i just called it a hotspot. sam gets these spots on his paws he chews occassionally. i think allergy related.

ps I tried an elizabethan collar with little success. the problem was me not the dog. I couldn't work out how to put the thing together!

One of the best things for Hot Spots is Listerine. Just buy the brown one ( it must be the brown one) from the supermarket and apply it to the hot spot twice a day and it will be gone in no time

Ian

My Sam has a hot spot just next to his paw and he licks and licks it till its looks red and sore. Is there a good simple topical medciament that be put on it to sooth and dry it out? Any ideas?

Thanks

I am pleased to hear that the hot spot is healing well. I have found over the years that some dogs are more prone to them than others. If your dog does get another hot spot, please try my Listerine idea and if you act as soon as it starts to appear you will find that it will be gone within a day or so

Ian

www.saluki.com.au

It's healing well now. i think the main thing to help was the pyrohex shampoo on the paws and the ilium neocort. thank goodness.