Kramar Chicken Breast Strips

kleintjie

I can't believe my bad luck. Monday night I bought somet treats for Evie which I almost NEVER do. Guess what I chose? Kramar chicken breast strips. It said 100% chicken, no added colours preservatives so it looked ok.

I gave her 1 stick Monday night then another Tuesday morning. Tuesday afternoon I heard about a treat recall on the radio. I wasn't too worried, but when I got home I had a look online. Could you believe my surprise when the treats I bought Evie was the ones that got recalled!!! I feel so guilty!

She looks fine. She's vomitted once tonight and had a bit of diarrhea (sp?) today. I don't know if it's coincidence or not. I feel so stressed and guilty about it!

I called the vet and they said I should find out from Kamar how much should be ingested to cause any problems.

Does anybody know? I weighed what was left and she's had about 11g.

Maybe I should take her to the vet tomorrow?

Edited by kleintjie

Hopefully nothing is wrong...it could very well be that she had those symptoms because it was something new and went right through her...I've given them to Henschke before with no problems (except for a bit of runny poos which I put down to change of diet).

I can't believe my bad luck. Monday night I bought somet treats for Evie which I almost NEVER do. Guess what I chose? Kramar chicken breast strips. It said 100% chicken, no added colours preservatives so it looked ok.

I gave her 1 stick Monday night then another Tuesday morning. Tuesday afternoon I heard about a treat recall on the radio. I wasn't too worried, but when I got home I had a look online. Could you believe my surprise when the treats I bought Evie was the ones that got recalled!!! I feel so guilty!

She looks fine. She's vomitted once tonight and had a bit of diarrhea (sp?) today. I don't know if it's coincidence or not. I feel so stressed and guilty about it!

I called the vet and they said I should find out from Kamar how much should be ingested to cause any problems.

Does anybody know? I weighed what was left and she's had about 11g.

Maybe I should take her to the vet tomorrow?

I wouldn't be concerned either. I was the one who posted the link about the chicken treats. I used to give my girl packets and packet off them for around six months. She now has serious pancreas problems and they think possible kidney damage. But as i said she went through alot of packets. I was also sucked in by the 100% chicken no preservatives etc. Poor little darling iam so annoyed i cannot describe how mad iam. She was born with perfectly normal organs now because of these treats they are badly hurt :-(

I've stopped feeding them to my shih-tzu's too. They seem to have an addictive quality to them,my dogs cant get enough. I have fed loads of them,maybe 1 or 2 packets a week over the past year :hug: SO i dont think the one or two strips you fed will cause a problem.

Does anyone feed the "VitaPet" Jerhi" treats? These are their all time favourites! They are thin redish sticks.These and the chicken jerky are the only 2 treats my dogs will eat.The vitapet is from China aswell....

I've stopped feeding them to my shih-tzu's too. They seem to have an addictive quality to them,my dogs cant get enough. I have fed loads of them,maybe 1 or 2 packets a week over the past year :rofl: SO i dont think the one or two strips you fed will cause a problem.

Does anyone feed the "VitaPet" Jerhi" treats? These are their all time favourites! They are thin redish sticks.These and the chicken jerky are the only 2 treats my dogs will eat.The vitapet is from China aswell....

How about these's treats.. iv just started givin em to my furkids, she is also a Dol memeber :hug:

http://www.happypawstreats.com.au/ordering.cfm

you will probably be ok if you have only fed a small amount to your dog.....

it seems that most dogs affected ate quite a lot......

it looks like the usa has had lots of similar cases with treats....

it sounds like our govt doesn't keep in touch with the usa regarding food safety, or possibly this owuldn't have happened here ?

http://www.avma.org/press/media_alerts/070...erky_treats.asp

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/...art-tests-.html

http://petfoodtracker.blogspot.com/2007/08...called-dog.html

the problem is , we never know the name of the factories in china that importers here buy from, so it's hard to know what chinese made treats are more risky to eat ? ......

I've stopped feeding them to my shih-tzu's too. They seem to have an addictive quality to them,my dogs cant get enough. I have fed loads of them,maybe 1 or 2 packets a week over the past year :hug: SO i dont think the one or two strips you fed will cause a problem.

Yep that is the same thing my dog went through. She loved them. She went off her food and would only eat these treats. I knew something was really wrong when she eventually couldn't even eat these treats in the end. It also seems to have only affected small breeds of dogs. My girl only weight 4.5kgs

I'm from the U.S.A. and we have gone round and round with this yet the FDA has not enlightened us to what the toxin is and if the stores or manufacturers know, they are not saying.

They are calling this 'Fanconi-like syndrome both in AU and in the U.S.A. This is known to be caused by outdated tetracyclines.

Poisoning and Toxicology Handbook By Jerrold B. Leikin, Frank P. Paloucek

Seems like all these treats may have undergone higher levels of irradiation at some point. Could it be that irradiation is affecting the residual antibiotics in chicken? Or maybe it is simply that some of the chicken, (China producers tend to source from many small farms), has high levels of antibiotic residues and some not. The FDA does stop meats from China regularly for having problems with antibiotic residues, but they test only a fraction of imports.

There are still reports of new illnesses here in the U.S.

http://www1.epinions.com/msg/show_~threads...m_id_~247/pp_~3

Edited by CooperDog

Not that I am defending Kramar in any way, because I fed them as well, and am as mad as can be, but the only cases reported to kramar or the autralian veterinary assosciation have all recovered and apparently quickly. If any other cases exist, please report them asap for all dog owners peace of mind!

We have treated two serious cases of acquired Fanconi syndrome 'suspected' to be related to chicken jerky treats. It involved daily blood tests, teetering electrolyte levels, lots of fingernail biting and 3-4 weeks in hospital on fluids (for 2 small dogs). Thankfully they recovered well and are doing fine, but it was very worrying for a while.

Edited by Rappie

We have treated two serious cases of acquired Fanconi syndrome 'suspected' to be related to chicken jerky treats. It involved daily blood tests, teetering electrolyte levels, lots of fingernail biting and 3-4 weeks in hospital on fluids (for 2 small dogs). Thankfully they recovered well and are doing fine, but it was very worrying for a while.

Do you know how often they were given the treats? Would be good to know for other people worried about their dogs...including me...how long before you see any symptoms? Is it straight away for months/years down the track?