Using A Rotary Tool (dremel/similar) To Trim Nails

kaywoman68

Hi All,

After another excruciating episode of wrestling 2 Cockers to trim nails, I did a search and found that a lot of people either use filers or rotary tools to trim dog nails. I've found some good links from my searching through past DOL threads about how to trim the nails etc.

I noticed there's some people who have a hobby kit? (i'm assuming it's smaller than a normal dremel?)

Questions are:

What brand?

Which sort is it (small/cordless)?

How much was it?

What speed do you use it on?

Which bit do you use? (from what I've read, the sandpaper bit)

What dogs do you have?

:cheer: in advance. This is all very new to me as I don't know my power tools :love:

Edited by kaywoman68

I have a battery operated dremel labelled a dremel alkaline MiniMite... its manual calls it a Model 760 Golf club cleaning tool

Got it off ebay - two speeds - I use the low speed.

eta. I nicked a tubular shaped sanding thingy from the boyfriend's corded dremel kit.

Edited by dwynwen

I brought a Sontax brand 60 piece mini rotary tool set from Bunnings,only cost about $18 or less.Its great,is rechargable so is cordless, no batteries to buy and can be used with the cord if you happen to forget to charge it

I did have one of the Dremel golf cleaning ones that takes batteries but trying to do 2 large dogs nails with it you'd have to keep replacing the batteries in it

is same as this one http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...amp;refid=store

Edited by 4 Paws

I use what is sold as a pumpkin cutting/styling tool (go figure!) but is essentially a cordless Dremel. I find it sucks the juice so invest in some good rechargeable batteries. I love the cordless as I don't have powerpoints everywhere and it has been especially useful in the puppy pen. Just remember to go slow, use positive praise until doggy gets used to it, use the sandpaper head, not the grinding stone and try not to file your fingers in the process (it hurts!).

I wouldn't go back to clippers at all :rofl:

I use what is sold as a pumpkin cutting/styling tool (go figure!) but is essentially a cordless Dremel. I find it sucks the juice so invest in some good rechargeable batteries. I love the cordless as I don't have powerpoints everywhere and it has been especially useful in the puppy pen. Just remember to go slow, use positive praise until doggy gets used to it, use the sandpaper head, not the grinding stone and try not to file your fingers in the process (it hurts!).

I wouldn't go back to clippers at all :vomit:

Mine broke :laugh:

Hi kaywoman68

I've been using a Dremel drill for my gundogs nails for about 7 or so years now and to answer your questions:

What brand?

Which sort is it (small/cordless)?

How much was it?

What speed do you use it on? -

Which bit do you use? (from what I've read, the sandpaper bit)

What dogs do you have?

What Brand - Dremel - from Bunnings. (I actually use it for other things as well as the dogs' nails.) :)

What Sort/Cordless - Dremel Multipro and it has a cord - and I don't have a problem with it getting in the way either. I have a power point right next to my grooming table so it's not an issue for me.

How much - Can't remember that far back, but it was a bit expensive (but has been well worth the expense).

What speed - Mine has about 8 speeds so it varies as to what speed I use and on what particular dog.

Which attachment - Yep, I use the sandpaper attachment for their nails.

What dogs - Wei's and Brittany - and as all my dogs suffer from "Nail clipper syndrome" :vomit: , I had to find an alternative that wasn't stressing both the dogs and me out. It has been a godsend having the drill. Mind you, it does take some time, patience and training to get the dog to get used to it. I found a slow, positive introduction to it the best way and don't have a problem any more with any of my dogs. :laugh:

:laugh: everyone. It sounds like I will buy a dremel to use instead of doing the painful process of nail clipping. I am always sooooo scared of doing Oi's nails cos they're black. I took her to a dog grooming place to get them done and it was more painful watching them do it cos Oi obviously didn't want to be there and there was also a little of bleeding too :vomit: (felt so horrible). As for Orson, he's got a funny nail (his 'pinky' on his front right paw doesn't touch the ground so it requires frequent monitoring).

What dogs - Wei's and Brittany - and as all my dogs suffer from "Nail clipper syndrome" :love: , I had to find an alternative that wasn't stressing both the dogs and me out. It has been a godsend having the drill. Mind you, it does take some time, patience and training to get the dog to get used to it. I found a slow, positive introduction to it the best way and don't have a problem any more with any of my dogs. :love:

:) You have been trained just like me

Chazer took to yelping when I clipped his nails so I started using a dremmel. Then Chazer started yelping when I dremmeled his nails.

Chazer taught me to be terrified of clipping dogs nails.

Someone else clipped Chazer's nails for me at Geelong show, he just lay there legs up in the air, no worries in the world - apparently it only hurts Brittanys when their owner clips their nails, not when someone else does it

:) You have been trained just like me

Chazer took to yelping when I clipped his nails so I started using a dremmel. Then Chazer started yelping when I dremmeled his nails.

Chazer taught me to be terrified of clipping dogs nails.

Someone else clipped Chazer's nails for me at Geelong show, he just lay there legs up in the air, no worries in the world - apparently it only hurts Brittanys when their owner clips their nails, not when someone else does it

Hey Helen - Yep, Brittany's are the biggest woozies in the world. Sharnie used to give such a high-pitched yelp when I attempted to do her nails with the clippers that anyone would think I was trying to hurt her. The Dremel has made my nail filing duties with her so much easier.

Chazer sounds like he is more of a woozie than Sharnie. Typical male.... :laugh:

He is a bit of a girl. I think it started when he got a pink tracking harness

Oh poor Chazer - he is probably embarassed wearing it :laugh: - not that there's anything wrong with a pink harness. :rolleyes:

Edited by Weibritty

:D everyone. It sounds like I will buy a dremel to use instead of doing the painful process of nail clipping. I am always sooooo scared of doing Oi's nails cos they're black. I took her to a dog grooming place to get them done and it was more painful watching them do it cos Oi obviously didn't want to be there and there was also a little of bleeding too :D (felt so horrible). As for Orson, he's got a funny nail (his 'pinky' on his front right paw doesn't touch the ground so it requires frequent monitoring).

Hi kaywoman68,

I can endorse all of the positive comments the other respondents have made. My recommendation is to buy the OZITO rotary tool from Bunnings for around $40.

This tool has a variable speed selector, flexible attachment, numerous accessories and comes with a 3 year replacement warranty. We have a Norfolk Terrier and find that the lowest speed setting is ideal to take small amounts off his nails on a weekly basis. He is still getting used to process but is far more receptive to this method of having his nails trimmed than he ever was with the clippers approach, and it is much less stressful for us knowing that we aren't causing him any pain. The only thing to be aware of is that you must not try to take too much off any one nail at once because the friction of the sanding drum against the nail will cause the nail to get quite hot and hurt your dog. We apply the sanding drum for only 3-4 seconds at a time before moving on to the next nail. Sometimes we make two passes over all of the nails to achieve the desired result.

Ah yes, good old "No-nail tremors". Highly debilitating disease that one.

Also affects Staffordshire Bull Terriers who start to cry and shake uncontrollably at the mere sight of the nail clippers.

Also affects Staffordshire Bull Terriers who start to cry and shake uncontrollably at the mere sight of the nail clippers.

And THAT my dear is the reason why a Dremel is used - although I still get the older dogs fighting to get away from the stupid orange buzzing thing! Aziah I can't believe yours broke. :D Your dogs must have real heavy duty nails. Mine's lasted about a year now. Admittedly I'd probably buy one from Bunnings next time - a bit more heavy duty, but it does the job for now.

LOL - now I have a name for the condition