Advance Vs Pedigree Advance

Bec n Shad

Hi All,

This is my first post so a bit about me...

I have a Miniature Poodle pup called Shadow. My fiance and I plan to do Agility and Obedience Trials. Currently he is on a mix of 1. Chicken and turkey mince with baby farex and lactose free milk, and is being introduced to 2. Chicken, pasta and carrot.

Anyway, I am wanting to feed him a dry food along with meat and vegies, and his breeder recommended Advance Puppy Rehydratable. Now when I googled this I found a Pedigree Advance Puppy Rehydratable and the simple Advance Puppy Rehydratable. I'm confused... They both claim to do the same thing??? I had a look in the ingredients and they both look very similar. Can anyone tell me what the difference is and which one they would recommend? I remember seeing a thread which gave star ratings to all dry and can food, and Pedigree only got 2 of 5 stars. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this?

And (yes, I know it's getting long! Hehe!), can anyone recommend a good diet to be fed in conjunction with the dry food? I used to feed My Dog cans to my old dog who is doing well on it, but the breeder says that this is an absolute no no. Now I'm at a loss to what to feed! I'm not a fan of the BARF diet simply because of all the prep that it needs and I'm lazy!

Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by Troy
Name removed

BARF patties are good if you can't be fussed with the preparation yourself, pretty economical for just the one small dog.

Personally I would ditch the farex.

Any of the high end dry puppy foods would be fine, Advance, Proplan, Eukanuba, Royal canin etc

He probably doesn't really need the rehydratable, he needs things to chew, so a good puppy dry, chicken necks, wings, lamb breast etc

Guest belgian.blue
Anyway, I am wanting to feed him a dry food along with meat and vegies, and his breeder recommended Advance Puppy Rehydratable. Now when I googled this I found a Pedigree Advance Puppy Rehydratable and the simple Advance Puppy Rehydratable. I'm confused... They both claim to do the same thing??? I had a look in the ingredients and they both look very similar. Can anyone tell me what the difference is and which one they would recommend? I remember seeing a thread which gave star ratings to all dry and can food, and Pedigree only got 2 of 5 stars. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this?

Purely advertisment. Dog food companies can put whatever they like on the packaging .. it doesn't have to have any truth in it. And it rarely does.

Like dry food saying 'all natural' yeah sure!

Scrape the pasta.

All our pups get Farex & they love it .Have used it for over 20 years & we suggest the owners wean them after the first month.It is agreat night time filler or early am snack that the small breeds just love.

Also is the pup 7 weeks or 8 weeks.If its 7 it was sold under age especally as you have listed the dogs kennel name??

many breeders use the rehy advance,We personally couldnt as it didnt agree with our breed when they added the colostrum to it.I think one has colostrum & one doesnt .We used it years ago but scarpaed advance when they keeped changing the ingredients which didnt suit our breed but i do now many poodle breeders who find the product to be very good.

If you really want to play around with the diet i would still involve you breeder,Diet in breeds which can suffer from cataracts is very important,It is well known that diet can create a diet form off cataracts which is why breeders will send there pups home with a diet sheet that has worked well for them with no health issues.Often breeders puppy guarantee is also based on you feeding what is suggested or a discussion if changing.

I dont feed BARF & dont plan too.I have friends who feed full BARf whose dogs look no different & are no more healthier than mine.

I feed a dry that suits the individual dog & i do feed raw mutton,chicken necks.,fish,yoghurt etc tetc .Occasionally i use the BARF patties on one dog who can only tolerate a small amount of raw each week.

Diet is a very personal thing with many opinions & what works for one dog may never work for another.Many breeds need a certain specific diet that suits there needs compared to others.

You will never get the answer you want but i would consider heading into the poodle sub section as they would be able to talk diet with you :(

My fiance and I plan to do Agility and Obedience Trials. Currently he is on a mix of 1. Chicken and turkey mince with baby farex and lactose free milk, and is being introduced to 2. Chicken, pasta and carrot.

Make sure the chicken and turkey mince is actually minced meat and bones not just meat. What do you mean by him being introduced to chicken if he is already eating chicken mince? Get rid of the pasta & farex as they are not needed. Included more veggies then just carrot.

And (yes, I know it's getting long! Hehe!), can anyone recommend a good diet to be fed in conjunction with the dry food? I used to feed My Dog cans to my old dog who is doing well on it, but the breeder says that this is an absolute no no. Now I'm at a loss to what to feed! I'm not a fan of the BARF diet simply because of all the prep that it needs and I'm lazy!

You can scrap the dry food altogether and feed BARF patties and chicken carcus mince/chicken necks. Simple and easy.

Hi all,

Thank you so much for all your help and advice! You lot are a knowledgable bunch and it's great to know you'r here!

Shadow was sold as a "pet only", and his breeder was happy that he was healthy enough to send at 7 weeks. We would have held off except that with transport dates, etc, this was the only time we could get him if we didn't want to wait until he was 10 weeks.

Can you explain these BARF patties a bit more? What's in them, where to get them, etc?

He is only going to be on the farex mix for another week then he will be on the #2 diet. The amount he is getting is slowly being decreased. I always assumed chicken mince and chicken thighs were different? I.E. Mince is made of more than just the thigh bit... That's what I meant by introducing chicken :(

His breeder is great and is involved in the diet change. They are very helpful with tips and recommendations.

I will keep your suggestions in mind. I am more worried about him not getting the right amounts of vits and mins than anything else.

Thanks again!

Shadow was sold as a "pet only", and his breeder was happy that he was healthy enough to send at 7 weeks.

No matter that the pup was strong and healthy, the breeder broke the code of conduct of his governing canine council in selling the pup at that age. Registered breeders have a code of conduct (or ethics) they have to abide by, and which they promise to abide by when they become registered.

"Shadow was sold as a "pet only", and his breeder was happy that he was healthy enough to send at 7 weeks. We would have held off except that with transport dates, etc, this was the only time we could get him if we didn't want to wait until he was 10 weeks."

Yep breeder broke the COE ,you may want to mention to the breeder you listed there prefix & the fact they sold under age on a forumn.

Advance Vs Pedigree Advance? They are the same thing.

Pedigree is a dog food and Pedigree Advance is a dog food. They are both made by the same company but one is the bottom of the bucket on quality and one is at the top.

The company make three levels of food:

Pedigree (yellow bags - what used to be known as Pal and most breeders wouldn't recommend it. It's sold in supermarkets)

Optimum (silver bags - middle range pet food and top of the range of what is sold in supermarkets)

Pedigree Advance (blue/purple/green bags - premium food sold in pet food stores but not supermarkets).

The cheaper the food the more grain it contains as a filler. Dogs do not require grains as part of their diet and they can cause a lot of health problems. The more fillers the more poo the dog produces.

Edited by Pointeeblab