My Girls Dew Paws Cut

i have been a long time reader, first time poster, i searched on this topic, but not much came up.

I am very concerned about my staffy X border collie. She is 1year old and this would be the 4th time she has cut open her dew paws.

The dew paw has been cut open on both front legs and looks very tender. Every time she has done this in the past, she has recovered, but it keeps reoccuring.

She is a very active girl and is fearless (which has it ups and downs!), but i am unsure of how she cuts them open. I know she doesnt chew the open, im sure it must be from diving in a bush chasing a ball or something similar

If i touch them she yelps, and she very rarely yelps which futher concerns me.

Her dew paws stick out futher than other dogs i come into contact with.

Any help, assitance, advice would be excellent!

Thank you guys!

This forum has assited me with many problems/games/training exercises in the past and i hope this one will be the same :(

Are you talking about her dew claws, or her paws?

If dew claws, and she often hurts them, it may be worth getting them surgically removed. A few days of keeping her quiet and bandaged and then she will be okay.

If her paws, maybe invest in some tough booties that she can wear when you walk her in the bush?

Guest belgian.blue

My parents english pointer had hers removed at the age of two. She kept ripping them .. banaged up for two weeks and told to keep quiet :(

Now she's fine.

If its her claws, get them cut off, it can be painful and they are usually bandage for about 10 - 14 days, but get some pain killers and she will be fine, Its summer, you may have better luck at keeping feet dry the i did - rained most days when i got my dog done!

Only things i found that annoy him now is scratching his face, he cant seem to do it as well as he could with they dew claw, and he had to relearn to hold a bone!

in future i will be requesting all my dogs to have theirs removed

Edited by Terrorbull

hey guys.

Not sure if it was the correct name, but its the paw pad next to the dew claw. I just assumed it was called a dew paw?? Not the dew claw.

I have been monitoring her for the last few days and keeping the walks a bit more quite (not easy!!), and they are healing well. I just really dont want this to reoccur again.

hey guys.

Not sure if it was the correct name, but its the paw pad next to the dew claw. I just assumed it was called a dew paw?? Not the dew claw.

I have been monitoring her for the last few days and keeping the walks a bit more quite (not easy!!), and they are healing well. I just really dont want this to reoccur again.

O.K have you considered that they may not be cut at all :laugh:

They may indeed be dry and splitting/cracking.

try some pawpaw ointment on a few times a day (just before a walk/feed so she doesn't lick it off straight away :(, and see if there is improvement.

Hello,

The 1st picture is a dogs Foot Pads

The 2nd picture is a very long Dew call .

These claws if not kept short can cut into the Foot pad

And No the vet will Not cut a foot pad off, only the dew claw if neccessary.

Petra

Edited by Dackel

And No the vet will Not cut a food pad off, only the dew claw if neccessary.

good pics :rolleyes:

IF the 'dewclaw' is to be totally removed, and not just the nail cut short... if that toe has a pad, then YES, the whole 'toe' comes off.. claw,bone, pad.

Do vets just remove the whole nail these days?I haven't heard of this.

All our working dogs have front dewclaws... and they are continually in bushes/dirt/sheepyards/trucks/scrambling thru branches on the ground, etc...

occasionally one will break a nail... but they cause NO other problem,and rarely need trimming either.

Thanks Phersephone,

EWEEEEEEEEEE that would need a stitch or two wouldn't it?

when a claw is removed?

yes, and bandaged for some time as well. I dont think i have a before photo of Atlas, but i can post an after one later on tonight

His dad ripped his claw out yesterday :rolleyes: his is almost all out, so fingers crossed it just falls off and causes no problems like Ats did

Edited by Terrorbull

There seems to be a bit of confusion, probably due to my lack of explaination.

So i have included pics

img2221un6.jpg

w640.png

img2223ds9.jpg

w640.png

Here is a photo of Flash modeling her broken paw pad. The pad where the joint in the leg is. Does someone know the actual name for this?

It has healed very well over the last week.

Thank you to the person that suggested for me to use paw paw cream, i have been doing this.

And just because i couldnt resist. Here is a photo of her in all her glory.

img2168lw3.jpg

w640.png