Help! I Need A Clipper Blade Sharpener.

webtutor

Hi there people, I am new to this, is there anyone who can direct me to a good reliable clipper blade sharpener? Preferably in NSW.

NOT the ACT please. Been there done that. :thumbsup:

My hairy pooch needs to be trimmed,because of the heat.

Before xmas I posted my blades to a firm in the ACT, and was not impressed, the blades would only drag through the coat, it was no good complaining,

it only made me more cross with the firm, they blamed me, NOT HAPPY JAN ;)

Thanks anyone.(webtutor)

Alot of us use Colin http://freewebs.com/clipperbladesharpening/

He is also a forum member here. If you ask for this to be moved to Health/Nutrition and Grooming Im sure you'll get more assistance.

Perhaps it is your clippers affecting the cutting rather than the blades.

Hi there, thank you for your reply, my clippers are brand new (Andis AG 2) my friend tried them as well and said the blades are not sharpened properly,

she tried them on her dog, with my clippers and her Osters, then she showed me her new blades working on both clippers, they worked well.

The only blades that don't work are the ones sharpened from t h a t rude person in Canberra. ;)

I will contact the sharpener you recommended. I hope they are quick with there turn-around. The last guy took weeks for bad results.

How do I get/ask them to change the location for this post? :thumbsup:

(webtutor)

I will contact the sharpener you recommended. I hope they are quick with there turn-around. The last guy took weeks for bad results.

(webtutor)

Super speedy and is always on call to assist. I'm a groomer and have used several other people before Colin was recommended to me and I've never looked back.

Re. moving thread, PM the mods.

(webtutor)

Super speedy and is always on call to assist. I'm a groomer and have used several other people before Colin was recommended to me and I've never looked back.

Re. moving thread, PM the mods.

Clyde, thanks for the contact(Colin) I rang him last night, as I am so close to Moruya Heads which is only down the hill from Canberra, I am going down on Saturday morning to the local Moruya markets and popping out to his house to get the blade sharpened, with my new clippers.

He said he will explain it to me over a cuppa of expresso coffee, and his wife is going to make lamingtons(as if my hips need the EXTRA), he said we will test them on his terrier before I leave, or he said if I posted them down it would take 2 days down, and 2 days back, so I think I will go see the ocean, and dip my toes, maybe fish n chips on lake Tuross, and get it right.

Seems like a good plan, :eek: I will let you know how it goes.

I haven't had any lamingtons/cappucinos sent with my blades either. :eek::):rofl:

Everyone is most welcome to call-in for a sharpening(blades/scissors) and coffee/Lamoes, I bought a Expresso machine check it out http://www.coffeeshrine.com.au/isomac-zaff...less-steel.html

On the back veradah over looking a nature reserve. No stress :D

We will even sharpen on weekends.

Nice coffee Yummy, come-on down, bring your jarmies as well. :rofl:

Edited by nicestman77

I haven't had any lamingtons/cappucinos sent with my blades either. :rofl::):rofl:

Everyone is most welcome to call-in for a sharpening(blades/scissors) and coffee/Lamoes, I bought a Expresso machine check it out http://www.coffeeshrine.com.au/isomac-zaff...less-steel.html

On the back veradah over looking a nature reserve. No stress :D

We will even sharpen no weekends.

Nice coffee Yummy, come-on down, bring your jarmies as well. :rofl:

OK,now you're just showing off :eek:

I wanna go!!!

ok, i live in different country, i dont actually have a breed i clip, so i dont really have clippers, BUT i will buy some jsut for the cappa and lamies!!! plus the veiw....

NZ's are welcome over here, love to catch-up, they are our work force here, I am developing a new sheep shearing cutter/comb with a guy over there now. Koria(country) has made a new metal/alloy, which it makes clipper blades last 20 times longer before sharpening is required, the meat is so hard the machines today only polish them, no ordinary sharpening machine on the market today will touch the metal if they use Alumium Oxide, the sharpeners will have to change to diamond paste. a very intersting times coming up in the sharpening industry in Australia. He was sent to NZ because, NZ have a large sheep population.

The proper sharpening machine is being developed in the USA now.

At the present it is for wool, but it will end-up being used in the grooming industry worldwide.

Anyway, I will keep the pantry stocked with lamoes, the coffee machine is always going, yummy smelly coffee aroma ;) and you are most welcome here, bring your little Poms(kids) to. :thumbsup:

Edited by nicestman77

we have sheep here???????????

possibly down south, up here (centralish north island) we got cows.. lots and lots and lots and LOTS of cows...

and pukekos...

and those teenage boys who walk round with their pants tied to thier thighs, so thier boxes are showing... im find it hard NOT to go up and yank them up...

Would love to go visit aussie again! Sydney was great to visit, a big eye opener for a lil ole country hick like me... (the cows, not sheep) lol

we have sheep here???????????

possibly down south, up here (centralish north island) we got cows.. lots and lots and lots and LOTS of cows...

and pukekos...

and those teenage boys who walk round with their pants tied to thier thighs, so thier boxes are showing... im find it hard NOT to go up and yank them up...

Would love to go visit aussie again! Sydney was great to visit, a big eye opener for a lil ole country hick like me... (the cows, not sheep) lol

Yer the (Y) generation, I don't know what is install for them.

If you show your cows these new blades will be handy for you. This guy lives who is incharge of this new type of metal for blades lives down south at Christchurch, NewZealand.

Anyway come-over for a week, and a chat, but bring the poms. Love the ac-sent. ;)

I haven't had any lamingtons/cappucinos sent with my blades either. :cry::thumbsup::laugh:

On the back veradah over looking a nature reserve. No stress ;)

Nice coffee Yummy, come-on down, bring your jarmies as well. :wave:

You will probably live to regret that offer - a whole team of DOL gals will turn up in their jarmies with all their dogs next weekend. :love::hug::eek:

I haven't had any lamingtons/cappucinos sent with my blades either. :cry::wave::love:

On the back veradah over looking a nature reserve. No stress ;)

Nice coffee Yummy, come-on down, bring your jarmies as well. :hug:

You will probably live to regret that offer - a whole team of DOL gals will turn up in their jarmies with all their dogs next weekend. :eek::cry::)

Yer! wouldn't that make for good reading on DOL the week after :eek:

Next time you send some you know what, for you know what, let me know, I will pop in a Nestles Cappuchino (strong) shot, for the coffee I owe you, I don't think the lamo would make it home to you, with the you know what. :thumbsup:

Please mention the coffee please, :laugh:

Might post my blades up to Colin next time, had them done by a local guy a couple of times only to find they would come back as dead as i sent them!

found out when i took them elsewhere that he had over tightened them all and bent the springs out of shape? :rolleyes:

Might post my blades up to Colin next time, had them done by a local guy a couple of times only to find they would come back as dead as i sent them!

found out when i took them elsewhere that he had over tightened them all and bent the springs out of shape? :rolleyes:

Hi AnimalMad, to check that your blades have the correct tension, try with you thumb just move the top cutter left or right, it should be firm, and at the same time move freely, you should also feel a ratchet(hollow grind) feeling, if it is to tight it will wreck your clippers lever/gears in time, but worst of all the tighter one makes the tension on the top cutter, it jacks(lifts) the front tips up, hen se the blades doesn't work as good as they could if the tension was the correctly set, a tiny bit less.

The top cutter is shaped like a bridge with a flat on it, if you push hard in the center it will lift the front up.

A lot of inexperience sharpeners who have not done there apprenticeship as a groomer before taking on sharpening, think the tighter you make the blade tension the more chance of it cutting, when in fact it makes it worst.

It is like adjusting a carburetor on a car, to much rich mixture, it doesn't work, nor does leaning it out. It has to be right.

Then again it depends on which clipper you are using, they all have different revs, I always try to find-out the clipper being used on the blades I do, there is a difference between different speed clippers, not much but there is, a good sharpener should in the conversation ask you and remember it.

The tension for blades used on a early model slow revving Oster is different to a fast revving Double K clipper, and so on.

When a blade is hollow ground the edge has to stike it's opposing edge very hard as it scissors up from the back to the front on each tyne(tooth), and if it is going to fast it will roll that edge of the tyne then it stops working, that is why sometimes you get a blade back, and it only does 1 dog, to much tension at high speed it has rolled the edge of the blade.

And the blade has to be put back on the machine to get rid of the edge, it is better to slow the clipper down, and you will find the fur has time to get into the tynes so it cuts more fur at one time, I hope this has helped all.

It is better to go to a sharpener that has had/paid for bad blades before, to know all the tricks.

It took me many years of frustration, and lots of nights of lost sleep, trying to think of a way to get it right every time, I made a jig that the blade sites in once it is sharpened, and all I have to do is pull a small lever, and ready the tension, then I adjust it accordly. nicestman77.

Edited by nicestman77