Itching - Biting Feet A Lot

jr_inoz

My girl (shetland sheepdog) has a few allergies (one of which is kykuya) and I have been using the cortisone tablets (dont want to use them much) and phenergan tablets when needed. Both help a little, as does the fish oil and the allergy shampoo. I would like a topical spray to use when things are worse than normal.

I have tried quid-itch - which also helps a little bit, but even diluted, stains her fur a bit (she is a show dog, so this isnt a good solution).

I read somewhere in the last few weeks a remedy involving equal parts of detol, baby oil and something else... Do you think I can find the website again? Nope.

Has anyone heard of it? Do you know what the last ingredient is? It may have been vinegar - but I am unsure.

Any help appreciated.

I have the same issue with my bulldog. Not sure what she is alergic too but I have had many people recommend melasab[think thats how you spell it]

havent used it yet as I only bought it 20 minutes ago. I picked it up from pet barn.

What about trying salty water? Dunk her feet in a container of it when she comes in from being on the grass.

I would change from using Phenergan as it is an old type of antihistamine and enters the CNS with one of the side effects being drowsiness. Use something like Claratyne which does not get into the CNS.

What do you feed her?

There is a new product out now that is a cortisone spray (cortavance) that is designed to sit in the skin and is only minimally absorbed into the body. It is a prescription medication so you will need to get it from a vet.

Wiping feet with a clean wet flannel after she has been on the grass is often helpful too.

I have a girl who bites her feet occasionally, also had my darling old girl who used to do the same thing. All I do is have some metho in a screwtop jar (I use a penut butter jar) and dunk the feet in that for a couple of days, that clears it up. As soon as symptoms return do it again a couple of times. They do not like this as it stings, but sure does the trick.

look at her overall diet and try keeping her off the grass. Conversely every time she HAS to go outside put some booties on her so she is not in direct contact.

she is kept off the grass until she has to go on it. (Mostly at a show) Doesnt have grass to run on at home anymore. Booties wont be a good look in the show ring - so think i might need a different solution. :thumbsup:

thank you all for your suggestions

What about trying salty water? Dunk her feet in a container of it when she comes in from being on the grass.

I would change from using Phenergan as it is an old type of antihistamine and enters the CNS with one of the side effects being drowsiness. Use something like Claratyne which does not get into the CNS.

What do you feed her?

She currently gets fed Advance dry food - either sensitive skin or small breed. (She will be staying on dry food - with supplements of other things like chicken necks etc)

There is a new product out now that is a cortisone spray (cortavance) that is designed to sit in the skin and is only minimally absorbed into the body. It is a prescription medication so you will need to get it from a vet.

Wiping feet with a clean wet flannel after she has been on the grass is often helpful too.

Very interested in this - and cranky that the vet didnt suggest it. Will ask for it,

I have a girl who bites her feet occasionally, also had my darling old girl who used to do the same thing. All I do is have some metho in a screwtop jar (I use a penut butter jar) and dunk the feet in that for a couple of days, that clears it up. As soon as symptoms return do it again a couple of times. They do not like this as it stings, but sure does the trick.

Sound interesting - is that harsh on the skin?

Tango occasionally gets itchy feet from allergies and I've found that washing his feet and between his toes especially in Phisohex worked.

What is phisohex? where would i get it?

Same problem with one of my Shelties in Canberra. She gets a shot every 6-8 weeks of an antihistamine from the vet - works wonders. She does still lick a bit when it gets really bad but the difference is amazing. Once I discovered the excessive licking was from an allergy I also avoided going to heavily grassed areas (ie the local ovals) everyday.

No the metho does not have an adverse effect on my dogs feet, they are labradors so don't know if their skin is tougher than some or not. It is an easy and reletively cheap fix if it works. Might be worth a try.

My girl (shetland sheepdog) has a few allergies (one of which is kykuya) and I have been using the cortisone tablets (dont want to use them much) and phenergan tablets when needed. Both help a little, as does the fish oil and the allergy shampoo. I would like a topical spray to use when things are worse than normal.

I have tried quid-itch - which also helps a little bit, but even diluted, stains her fur a bit (she is a show dog, so this isnt a good solution).

I read somewhere in the last few weeks a remedy involving equal parts of detol, baby oil and something else... Do you think I can find the website again? Nope.

Has anyone heard of it? Do you know what the last ingredient is? It may have been vinegar - but I am unsure.

Any help appreciated.

My SIL uses a mix of dettol, baby oil and mouthwash (cheap generic one - from Aldi) on her horses for itchies. Not sure how well it works, though.