Diet Advice Please, Orijen Hard To Get And After Cat Scare...

Hi there,

My supplier of Orijen food has closed down, in North Brisbane, and I can't find anywhere else here that stocks it - any help? The online places are only for southern states.

But also, are there any other no-carb foods I could try, that are made in Australia? (bit worried about the troubles with Orijen cat food).

Hiya,

Thanks for replying, that's the same company that just shut their store northside.. its just too far away for me (with two children in the car!). Also they don't always have it in stock, and are a bit unreliable about ordering it.. and I am running low.

Is Eukanuba really not great?? Gerda does have sensitive skin, and I don't want to upset it by adding carbs into her diet, but running out of alternatives.

Hiya,

Thanks for replying, that's the same company that just shut their store northside.. its just too far away for me (with two children in the car!). Also they don't always have it in stock, and are a bit unreliable about ordering it.. and I am running low.

Is Eukanuba really not great?? Gerda does have sensitive skin, and I don't want to upset it by adding carbs into her diet, but running out of alternatives.

Orijen has pulled out of Australia all together.

Artemis make a wheat free kibble. Alternatively, have you given any thought to a RAW diet - you will then be 100% in control of what your dog gets. My mini schnauzer cross used to get flaky skin, but since changing to RAW (I follow the BARF model) his skin is fantastic.

I didn't realise they shut that store. Euk has a lot of fillers (corn) in it. Maybe if you need to go to a grain based dry food you could try Eagle Pack Holistic? It doesn't have corn. When I used to feed dry food I found that the EP Holistic made the poos much smaller, meaning they were actually digesting & using more of the food they were ingesting.

oooh, I just found the huge thread dealing with this, sorry i missed it. But what a pain! I can only get Ziwipeak in 1 kg bags near here, urgh, too expensive. Natural Balance looks good in term sof meat, but all the potato and other things are just strange.

I'd love to do BARF, but I'm not sure I can afford it, or know enough about it to manage making it (or time). Gerda gets 2 raw chicken wings a day, and a bone or two a week, the kibble was just to add in some veggies. It took so long to choose Orijen, grr.

I'd love to do BARF, but I'm not sure I can afford it, or know enough about it to manage making it (or time). Gerda gets 2 raw chicken wings a day, and a bone or two a week, the kibble was just to add in some veggies. It took so long to choose Orijen, grr.

If done with a bit of thought and research,raw feeding/barf could probably work out a fair bit cheaper than feeding Orijen,which was around $10/kg from memory.Big Dog petfoods is on the Northside and even buying their pre-made Barf patties or minces would be in the same ballpark costwise as feeding super-premium kibble.

http://www.bigdogpetfoods.com/barfpatties.htm

http://www.bigdogpetfoods.com/edge.htm

I feed California Natural Chicken and Rice- brown rice being the only carb. and chicken the only protein and my Collies coats have never looked better and their poops are nice,small formed ones too.It also comes in Lamb and Rice and Herring and Sweet potato.

I pay $75 for a 9.1kg bag and that feeds two adult Collies for over 4 weeks.

Yes I know it is imported by the PP people but I buy it from Pet Goods Direct and they only sell goldfish.

Hi

I have just found a new dog food that works for the worlds fussiest whippet and her allergies

Vitalife by Petco - Australian company yeah

Petco also make Enduro

First ingredient is Roo meal, am at work so can't remember the others

If you live on the Sunny coast you can get it in Yandina at TLC - ~ $10 for 1kg - goes a long way and good news the whippies eat it and look fantastic on it. No farting yeah

Good luck

I'm in the same boat as you GTS. My girl has been on orijen for a couple of months, and she has been doing soo well on it. She has the most coat she's ever had (she is a show dog and I can never get her in coat to actually show until now), she's only been needing very small amounts to hold her weight and her poos have been very consistent and small.

I have changed her back to natural balance as she was on that previously, but I'm not happy with how she's now doing on it after how well she did on the orijen. She's getting 3-4 times as much food (I'm now feeding her twice a day to split this), her coat is still good, but I don't think it will last too long, she's drinking a lot more water (which I don't like as her breed is prone to bloat) and her poos are much bigger and very inconsistant (generally they're not firm unless she's had a bone).

I'm a bit stuck with where to go next, I have considered getting a mix made up by a herbalist with similar to what's in the orijen, and then starting her on a raw diet. I would really like to do this, but am not sure where to start. I am also considering trying ziwipeak longer term (she was on it short term and did well on it too), as she'd only need half as much which would make up for the higher price.

I switched to Artemis Max Dog and am very happy with it :o

There are only few grain free dog foods in Australia:

Artemis Max Dog, Evo and Ziwipeak.

Evo is imported through PP so :rolleyes:

Ziwipeak is great but too expensive for us

So I decided to go with Artemis and am very happy about it.

Btw before going on Orijen my golden was on RC and I would never go back to it. She had constant ear infections, smelly poops and lots of farting. Orijen was a huge improvement and Artemis seems to be equally good :)

Thanks laffi, the artemis looks really good. It's pretty much between that and Ziwipeak, but at half the price, I think we'll try the artemis grain free and go from there.

Oh yeah, and you just reminded me that we also have lots of extra farting at the moment, so I think we'll definitely try something else!

Where are you located? I have a couple of kilos of Orijen that I no longer want as it just goes straight through our pup. I should mention it's the puppy formula. We are located in Goulburn, but anyone in Canberra is welcome to it too if you pick it up...or we can post it to you (at receivers cost).

Edited by poochmad