Why Do My Photos Look Over Sharpened?

jemappelle

I have a new point and shoot camera (Ricoh Caplio R7) and the photos all look like they have been over-sharpened and I haven't done any editing on them.

I have been right through the book and looked at all the settings and can't find anything.

Does anyone have any ideas? Here is a photo to give an example.

post-2636-1231397322_thumb.jpg

I have a new point and shoot camera (Ricoh Caplio R7) and the photos all look like they have been over-sharpened and I haven't done any editing on them.

I have been right through the book and looked at all the settings and can't find anything.

Does anyone have any ideas? Here is a photo to give an example.

Try changing the in camera sharpening settings. There should be three level - Sharp, Normal, Soft.

Also...the image you posted is that straight out of the camera? How do they look if you shoot full size and don't resize?

Edited by Luke W

Have you scaled the picture to post on here? If not and this is exactly what is off the camera you need to play with your resolution setting. Set it to high quality. To me this is'nt over sharpened, but low res. My dad use to do the same thing. :confused:

Edit to add Luke bet me to it.... :shrug:

Edited by Rocco1

Seems to me the Caplio r7 can take images at the following resolutions:

3264 x 2176, 2592 x 1944, 2048 x 1536, 1280 x 960, 640 x 480

in addition its quality levels are: Economy, Normal, Fine

You will need to go through the manual/user guide again

and look for things such as image quality, compression etc.

Thanks everyone :rofl:

I thought I had changed the resolution back to the max with the "fine" option but it is still set on the lowest (640 x 480) - must not have executed the command properly!

I had the sharpness set to normal so will have a play with that tomorrow with the higher resolution.

Maybe I should have bought a simpler camera!

I need to put aside a few straight days where I just take photos, fiddle with settings and compare. Maybe I will get a chance over the weekend.

Thanks again!