Diet Help For My Dog With Colitis

daccydog

Hi everyone

I took my dog Jack to the vet today

he has been diagnosed with colitis , poor thing was straining so hard to do poops , he is on scourban , anti biotic s, and is to be wormed

actually the vet said , it can be caused by poor diet or allergy , the poor diet really hurt :mad as i dont think he has a poor diet by any means

anyway he is to have chicken rice and a few vegs for a few weeks to see if this makes any difference to him

If anyone else has a dog that suffers with colitis can you let me know what you feed him

many thanks

Daccydog :(

Edited by daccydog

Irritable Bowels are a symptom of Canine Candida (Yeast infection).......Diet causes Candida.........Rice, pasta, cereals, grains, all convert to sugars in the body, and yeast & cancer live on sugar.

Most commercial products have 1 or more of these unneccessary carbohydrates in them. Obviously to rule this disorder out, you would need to detox the dog & avoid ALL the things I mention, everything except meat , offal & bones.......

Mac has this to the degree that the vet wanted to pts. I have consulted a homeopath and also totally changed his diet to 100% raw, no cereal or grain, no dry food. This has helped when nothing else has. He is still not 100% but dramatically improved

yep colitis is often more a result of stress than anything else.

I had a dog that suffered from it for over 10 years.No real big deal & i didnt do a diet change,Stuck what was normal,feed her apples which i found helped greatly & just had tri bacteral tabs on hand for her attacks.her attacks could be from 1 up to 3 days.

On several of the forums I belong to here in America, dogs with this problem is often helped by giving them a spoon of plain yogurt---organic if it can be found---each day. Also, a spoon of plain canned pumpkin. Not the one that has spices already added. just the plain , every day.

Colitis is simply inflammation of the colon and is different to inflammatory bowel disease. It may just be that he ate something which upset him, was stressed, etc and most cases pass within a couple of days.

In most cases of colitis, with-holding food for 24hours gives the colon a chance for the inflammation to go away and settle down, and a bland diet after that helps prevent it becoming irritated again. Usually this is enough to get things back to normal.

If it continues to persist, then you ideally should have it worked up more thoroughly to investigate a cause and go from there.

actually the vet said , it can be caused by poor diet or allergy , the poor diet really hurt :( as i dont think he has a poor diet by any means

What were you feeding him before?

anyway he is to have chicken rice and a few vegs for a few weeks to see if this makes any difference to him

I would not be feeding the rice apart from it not being necessary for dogs it is a grain and grains cause a high rate of allergies in dogs.

Do some rearch on a BARF or RAW diet. If you are feeding just chicken meat and vegtables for weeks your dogs diet will be very lacking.