Oops Big Mistake With Barf

my2boys

Hi all.

I started feeding my goldie barf about 3 months ago and he was doing great, eating all that was put in front of him (though not real keen on vegies). Then we went camping over christmas and he fell in love with a Chihuahua. I mean FELL IN LOVE. He followed her, drooled over her and when we stuffed her up our jumpers and he couldn't find her he whinged and wined. Every morning he would trot down to her tent and sit at the door whinging until her owners had enough and let her out. He didn't eat (only picked) for 5 days. He lost so much weight that I began to really worry, and as we were there for 12 days, I did the unforgivable and cooked him up a Camp Stew. He gobbled it down like there was no tomorrow now the little monster won't eat raw meat.

So I guess my question is WHAT DO I DO NOW?????

Thanks my2boys

post-22668-1231968548_thumb.jpg

he's a young goldie.. He'll eat eventually .

persevere... and NO treats!!

ahhhh lurve.......... :hug:

So do I just keep offering him the raw and if he doesn't eat it give it to him the next meal? Or do I fast him for 24 hours until he is very hungry then feed him the raw? I have tried to wean him off the cooked (cooking it less each time) but last night I gave him total raw and he turned his nose up at it. There are no treats given. Oh and yes he is healthy apart from LOVE SICKNESS :hug:

get him his own chihuahua :hug:

Ha Ha now that would make my boy a very happy man. We did consider dognapping his girl friend there at one stage :hug: but I don't think her owners were very happy with that idea. Mind you I don't think either dog would have minded very much at all as she had the tartiest butt I have ever seen :hug:

Every morning he would trot down to her tent and sit at the door whinging until her owners had enough and let her out.

How come you let your dog annoy other people trying to enjoy their holiday?

Now the little monster won't eat raw meat.

Why give him the option, put it down and pick it up 15 minutes later, don't give him any treats.

Give the dog some Rescue Remedy if you feel he is fretting.

See your Vet if you're very concerned but do not just give in to a fussy dog.

Every morning he would trot down to her tent and sit at the door whinging until her owners had enough and let her out.

My dog didn't annoy anyone. The owners of the female dog were camping with us along with 17 other people and 10 other dogs. They thought it was hilarious that my boy would go to that extent to see his girlfriend. If I thought for one minute he was annoying anyone then I would have prevented him from trotting off to their tent. Not sure if you have ever been camping with that many dogs but I can assure you the noise they make when they all wake up and start playing is extremely loud.

I wouldn't call that annoying. I am more than certain if for one minute he was making other campers unhappy his owner would prevent it.

I have a fussy dog myself (adopted two weeks ago), Zoe was very difficult to get to eat anything as she was fed nothing but can food her whole life. Zoe had never seen dry food in her life. So I gave her what she wanted instead which is Raw chicken. I have slowly gotten her to eat dry as well.

A suggestion...

Have you tried mixing the raw with what he wants to eat, and over a period decrease what he wants more a little less each day until he is on the raw properly?

post-22668-1231968548_thumb.jpg

How cute to have a love struck or lovesick Goldie! :rolleyes:

Cue Donny Osmond:

"And they called it Puppy Looooove.....but I guess they'll never know......."

I think the food issue will resolve itself soon enough but the lesson from your camping trip is your Goldie would LOVE a friend! I can tell you from experience there's little difference between one Goldie and two Goldies :rolleyes: Go on, you'd make your boy VERY happy! :(

I get the impression the owners of the Chi found the behaviour amusing, not annoying.

Don't give in to his demands re the food.

Thanks everyone for your great advice. I WILL NOT give into my boy's demands. Even though I get the "Oh come on mum you know I don't like that food" look or the "If I winge long enough she WILL GIVE me what I want" :( Oh and my boy is not desexed nor was the Chi. We had discussed this before we went to camp with the Chi's owner and they were pretty sure that she wasn't going to be in season (which she wasn't) nor their other female dog a G.S.D Thank goodness Josh didn't have a fizzy fit and fall in love with both of them as he would of had his paws full rounding up both of them from the other dogs.

Not sure what attracted him to the little one but I think it was her tarty butt because he sure lifted her off the ground many times licking it.

Oh and ArtyFarty Josh has a friend at home but Sam is a boy.

Thanks again my2boys

if he was licking her bum, it's likely she was coming into season. chi's can appear to be tarty but it's part of their personality. I think "saucy" is in the standard. But yeh, bum licking probably means she was in and he was horny. Would have been very dangerous for her if they mated :(

if he was licking her bum, it's likely she was coming into season. chi's can appear to be tarty but it's part of their personality. I think "saucy" is in the standard. But yeh, bum licking probably means she was in and he was horny. Would have been very dangerous for her if they mated :(

Slightly of topic but we kept a very close eye on them and he didnt attempt to do anything with her and she had been on season 2 to 3 weeks before camp. Not sure how often they do come in season as never had much to do with female dogs