Does Anyone Have Experience Photographing Cars?

Ripley

Does anyone have experience photographing cars? I have been asked to take some photos of cars for someone who was a photographer - well they did it at uni, along with graphics art but she used to work with film so isn't converted to the digital age. Plus with 4 kids and a business to run, she doesn't have time to do it. I've been avoiding her requests as I don't think I'm good enough but she has seen some of my photos and wants me to do it. She just rang me then and chatted through what she wanted.

I told her I'm crap at photoshop but she said that's ok, give her the CF card and she will do the photoshop work as she wants a Top Gear look. The cars are all sports cars.

Help? As she has done photography herself I'm really nervous. She says she will pay me but I don't feel comfortable taking money for it.

I'm thinking, nice clear early morning for good light and pack a polariser. I only have a 17-70 lens which stops down to f/2.8, a 70-200 f/4 and the nifty fifty cheap 50mm fixed which stops to 1.8. Will that be ok?

I have an idea in my head of red car, blue skies and different angles with a polariser to intensify the colour but how do you make sure you don't show up in the chrome?

Edited by Ripley

Photographing cars information

May give you some inspiration

I have a pic i took of an ex's car which I love, will post it up tonight if I can find it.

Unless the car is moving, it's best to make sure the car is turned off when taking static pics so you don't see any exhaust heat/fumes. Sorry thats the only tips I have. :rofl:

Edited by ari.g

Does anyone have experience photographing cars? I have been asked to take some photos of cars for someone who was a photographer - well they did it at uni, along with graphics art but she used to work with film so isn't converted to the digital age. Plus with 4 kids and a business to run, she doesn't have time to do it. I've been avoiding her requests as I don't think I'm good enough but she has seen some of my photos and wants me to do it. She just rang me then and chatted through what she wanted.

I told her I'm crap at photoshop but she said that's ok, give her the CF card and she will do the photoshop work as she wants a Top Gear look. The cars are all sports cars.

Help? As she has done photography herself I'm really nervous. She says she will pay me but I don't feel comfortable taking money for it.

I'm thinking, nice clear early morning for good light and pack a polariser. I only have a 17-70 lens which stops down to f/2.8, a 70-200 f/4 and the nifty fifty cheap 50mm fixed which stops to 1.8. Will that be ok?

I have an idea in my head of red car, blue skies and different angles with a polariser to intensify the colour but how do you make sure you don't show up in the chrome?

NO No experience :(

But i am a top gear freak :) i watch a re run nightly and am currently on my 5th time through the whole thing :rofl: they do some gorgeous cinematography. they seem to use a lot of graduating filters, and they do a lot of the filming when the sun is low in the sky. Also a lot of their most impressive stuff is in the wet or overcast (this may just be a coincidence being english and all ;) ) i also like how they sometimes use really wide angles and get distorted horizons etc. It really is shot quite beautifully.

good luck, sounds like a lot of fun!

here is some screen grabs from the last couple of top gears that i think are super cool ;) hope they help

they do a lot of this focus on forground stuff.

tg1.jpg

tg2.jpg

tg3.jpg

tg4.jpg

tg5.jpg

tg6.jpg

tg7.jpg

Edited by Chloes Dad

I think I know the "look" she is probably wanting :rofl:

The moody, over saturated stuff, probably over exposed in areas.

You see it everywhere on tv, mags, here on dol :(

eta: CSI Miami is a good one for certain looks as well

Edited by chezzyr

Thank god she is good at PSing as I don't know how to get those looks. OK the cars are a red Ferrari, silver Aston Martin, white BMW M3 (which the loaned us free one weekend), black stretch Hummer (god, need a wide angle lens for that one!), Porsche, some convertible Merc and a black Ford Territory. It's for their website and promotional use. They said we can have one of the cars for the weekend as payment but not really into this. I know OH will be though.

I will have a practise on our car this weekend as I want to see if my lenses are fast enough and can get close enough to photograph inside the cars with the interiors in lowish light. Maybe I'll have to use a tripod for that.

She is thinking of locations we can use too. The countryside would be good or a cliff top. No idea - everywhere is going to be full of people on a weekend. Plus, the best locations where there are no people are unsealed rural roads and no way can you take expensive motor vehicles on unsealed roads.

thanks ari.g, will check out that link. Thanks pointeeblab too.

chloesdad, yep, that's the look she wants so I'll do the angles and photos and she can play around with it.

I can't help but watch Top Gear and notice the effects since I've started taking photos. I too notice they shoot a lot in early evening light.

ETA: This is one of the cars they want photos of. I took this with the 50mm when it was parked outside of our place, but just as a practise shot, the light was pretty drab.

post-485-1232069174_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ripley

Do you have any industrial estates, you know the places with head offices and nice lawns etc?

Maybe you could suss some out, they should be quiet on weekends. We did shots of the Corvette

around one of those areas one time.

No, can't think of any. The office complex where OH is has a gym and cafe there and it's always busy on weekends. Maybe I can park it on Hillsong's lawns. :rofl: Well, Pastor Bryan drives a Bentley.

Edited by Ripley

top gear is fantastic it is so funny and beautiful to look at that my wife actually sits and watches it with me :(:rofl:

not tg aus though... that is like a car wreck.... unfortunately

here is a flickr group for people who take three or more exposures of cars and create a High dynamic range image by merging the three exposures in PS or other software. 99.9% of them are way way over done. but when someone gets it right it really can make the cars look great.

I have started watching Top Gear, I enjoyed the American one.

OH wants to upgrade to that Corvette :rofl:

Some late arvo/pre sundown shots were happening.

Got any nice/safe coastal views you could use, if not

ocean what about lakes/reservoirs?

Yeah, was thinking that, chezzyr. I will ask a few colleagues today - they live all over the place.

I like Top Gear UK. Love the banter and the ribbing between the 3 guys. They pick on Richard Hammond a lot. He is always saying, "No, I have NOT had my teeth whitened!" I think he's very cute, it's those big brown Bambi in the headlights eyes I think.

I think I know the "look" she is probably wanting :(

The moody, over saturated stuff, probably over exposed in areas.

You see it everywhere on tv, mags, here on dol ;)

:) maybe because "that look" is "modern" and sells a product well with appeal. ;)

I think some of the best car advertising around is BMW and Mini. Maybe take a look at some of their advertising for ideas and inspiration. :rofl: Best of luck I'm sure you will kick a$$ at it. Don't forget to show us your work at the end.

OK so the person wants to pay me for the shoot but I feel a bit uncomfortable as I'm not a 'photographer' if you know what I mean. It's just a hobby I can combine with hiking. I saw one of the cars yesterday but it was parked half in shade, half in sun with a pole behind it and reflective windows casting back on it. I didn't have my camera so just had a look at the car for some ideas. A silver Aston Martin - nice. I am meeting the woman for coffee on Friday (have a day off) and she is going to tell me what she wants. She said she will photoshop them so that's a relief, I hate spending time on the computer editing photos as did I mention I'm no good at PS?! We are going to a paddock and I'm thinking late afternoon/early evening for warmer light as the middle of the day the lighting is too harsh.

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated!

Hi Ripley :laugh:

I'm not that much of an expert on taking pics of cars, so haven't got any real constructive advice to offer unfortunately ..

However i took this one once, and I was pleased with it..

1302594087_00a4938e61.jpg

and this one but it was more an experiment with panning ..

301122890_1eb96ff871.jpg

All the best with it, I am sure you will do very well! ;)

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs