Cold Water Tail, Swimmers Tail, Limber Tail Syndrome

benny123

My Lab x female experienced this about 12 - 15 months ago after a bath. We didn't realy notice it at first as we have two dogs and bathed her brother after her and then put them outside to completely dry. By the time we noticed there was something strange with her tail the vet was closed. We sougth advice the next day and were advised to just rest her and it would take around two weeks to come good again, which it did - and the poor girl was in pain for some of that time.

Last Thursday after about two hours of swimming in our pool and retreiving balls etc, I noticed when I dried her off that her tail was again plastered to her body (which is unusual when she's being toweled down as she loves it so much). I immediately rang the vet and told him I thought it was Cold Water Tail, sadly he'd never heard of it, but thankfully he Googled. We took her in straight away and her gave her an anti-inflamatory injection and 10 anti-inflam tablets to take home.

She's had three tablets so far (Fri/Sat/Sun) and her tail is completely normal today and there is no evidence of pain.

So, although Cold water tail is not widely known (have yet to meet a vet that is aware), it seems that immediate treatment with anti-inflamatory meds definitately lessen the severity and duration of the condition.

Also, I think once a dog has had this condition there is a strong chance it could happen again. We've had it twice in a dog that is 2 and a half, so I imagine it won't be the last time. At least now we know to seek immediated treatment.

Just wanted to let you know our experience as I'm sure I've read of a few dogs suffering this condition.

I've only experienced it once before with one of my dogs (young Golden girl). It was about 12 hours after swimming, but only lasted 2 to 3 days and didn't particularly bother her - just a limp tail. I didn't give any medication though. From what i hear it's often the same dogs that are affected. Now i'm very careful to dry her very well, particularly around the base of the tail.

Hamlet had it a while ago... luckily I remembered people posting about it on here... so I didn't immediately think broken tail ;)

I just gave him some dispirin, kept him inside, and put heat packs on the base of his tail.

The initial pain only lasted overnight... although the tail was still non-functional for a few days.. it wasn't as uncomfortable for him.. and cleared up quickly :laugh:

what happens to the tail?

Daisy-- AFAIK it's like fibrositis... the muscle at the base of the tail gets extremely inflamed/painful.. and so the tail won't work !