Traning In Drive

Oooookay....

This may be little long winded, and confusing, and maybe more than a little stupid but I will ask anyway :love:

I attended the Training In Drive workshop in Melb last year by K9 force and Pro-K9. Which was excellent by the way, I got so many ideas from it and left feeling all inspired.

As fate would have it I not long after purchased an e collar. As there was some immediate issues I had to address with my dog I decided to do this with the e collar before I started training in drive. Long story. And before anyone asks I was following K9 forces program for my e collar.

I am now at the stage where I would like to re look at drive training. I have read the other thread, read my notes and refreshed my memory. But I am having a bit of confusion that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

My dog seems to have a high prey drive. She will chase anything that moves :thumbsup: As chasing some things is definitely NOT OK i.e sheep, chickens. I have been working over the last while trying to train her not to chase these things. As I have been actively trying to suppress her prey drive in regards to these animals have i effectively made it harder to now attempt to train her using prey drive?

She still seems to have plenty of drive. She goes nuts for the orbee when we play and will chase things if I am not there to instruct her otherwise.

Second question. I'm trying to work out how to incorporate drive training into her training program. I get that you should use two sets of commands when training, one for drive and one for other so she will know when to expect to receive a prey reward and when to except another reward, praise etc. But in the other thread I think someone said that taking to Obedience school can have implications down the track as it teaches the dog to suppress prey drive. So if Obedience training is not good for drive training how do you continue to teach your dog basic manners and obedience. Does this make sense?

I guess what I'm saying is that my girl is still requiring basic training and we haven't finished her e collar training, I still have to build her distractions and proof her off it, and I would still like to take her to obedience as she needs to learn to behave amidst distractions. So should I finish this before I start drive training or can you do them at the same time. If I can do them at the same time, how do I make sure I don't lower her drive through this other training?

Anyone else confused, I think I just confused myself again. I know this is probably simple but I cant get my head around it.

As I have been actively trying to suppress her prey drive in regards to these animals have i effectively made it harder to now attempt to train her using prey drive?

If you've been using the e-collar as Steve and I do (ie low stim, negative reinforcement) then IMO you would not have been suppressing drive.

Second question. I'm trying to work out how to incorporate drive training into her training program. I get that you should use two sets of commands when training, one for drive and one for other so she will know when to expect to receive a prey reward and when to except another reward, praise etc. But in the other thread I think someone said that taking to Obedience school can have implications down the track as it teaches the dog to suppress prey drive. So if Obedience training is not good for drive training how do you continue to teach your dog basic manners and obedience. Does this make sense?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here. If you are using drive training to train your dog, then I wouldn't be switching methods over. Do you have to use the dog-school's own method when you go there? Have you spoken to them? IMO, if the method is achieving command response and if it is not disruptive to the class in general, then I can't see why a dog school should object to it. Just don't expect them to provide you with tuition in what you are doing if it is different to what they generally teach.

I would just check that the class you are going to won't mind if you do something a bit different to the others. If they allow it, you may get a couple of funny looks (I got plenty when I started spitting food :thumbsup: ). The main thing is that obedience classes are very long! I know my dogs could not concentrate in drive for that long. Any drive sessions with my dogs are only a couple of minutes long. So maybe see if you can do parts of the class and then have a break so your dog does not get too tired or bored.

Am I on the right track and you're asking how to 'do' drive training and basic obedience at the same time? I suggest start on your drive work away from an obedience club, actually don't bother doing any training there for the time being, work on drive at home and build up distractions slowly before heading back to obedience classes. I strongly suggest doing Steve's distance learning TID program and he'll most definitely help with these sorts of questions.

Thanks Erny,

I wasn't sure about the e-collar. It certainly doesn't seem to have suppressed her prey drive! In fact I do remember Steve saying I could use the collar during drive training.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is if I'm training in drive and only training in drive, do you then expect the dog to be in drive every time you want it to do something. I don't understand how that works, if my dog expects a prey reward for say dropping, how can I provide that all the time. I mean there are times when I need her to be quiet and just drop, or I dont have a prey toy with me.

I should say I'm talking about basic obedience here as I don't compete or anything.

Does that make sense?

Kavik I think the local trainer here would freak if I got my dog all riled up to do drive training. Its treats, treats and more treats. I do think she would like your idea of spitting food though :thumbsup:

Am I on the right track and you're asking how to 'do' drive training and basic obedience at the same time? I suggest start on your drive work away from an obedience club, actually don't bother doing any training there for the time being, work on drive at home and build up distractions slowly before heading back to obedience classes. I strongly suggest doing Steve's distance learning TID program and he'll most definitely help with these sorts of questions.

Yes that's basically what I'm asking thanks.

Hey laeral, you're in the same position as me!! I'm going to start training in drive again soon now that I've started to get on top of her obsession with other dogs and cats.

I'm planning on doing the TID program Seita suggested shortly so that we can get back into it all. Just waiting to finish her run so I can put her outside and do some drive building work first.

Let me know what you think of the program, but Im sure its good.

I have been building her drive for the last few days with her orbee that she loves. She has learnt though that if she does the body slam she can off balance me and grab the orbbe :laugh:

I have now learnt to throw in some running as well as the spinning, keeps her excited and it helps with getting dizzy to.