Swimming And Ducks

Hi all,

My two 14 month old golden retrievers are very easily distracted by ducks and won't return from a swim when called if they see one. I had them swimming with us in the shallows of the Murray river on the weekend and much to my distress they took off halfway across the river after a duck. The duck eventually flew away (thankfully) and only then did they finally decided to return to the bank for a rest. They are fairly competent swimmers now, but really only just started serious swimming in the past month.

Does anyone have recall training methods specifically for swimming? We have used small pieces of chicken necks that they love and getting them to swim for short periods before returning for a treat, and this works for about 5-10 minutes before the water and the ducks are more interesting. Recalls are then just ignored.

Do any golden retriever owners have a feeling for how long and far they can swim before getting into trouble??

Thanks

Ben

Are e-collars waterproof? If so, I would think they would be great for this situation. I spent awhile on a Chessapeake Bay Retriever discussion group and there was consensus that e-collar was the way to go for distance recall, especially where the dog was in pursuit.

corrected typo

Edited by sandgrubber

The second time I took my dog (GR X Lab) to Belgrave Park lake he virtually circumnavigated the lake chasing ducks, as each took off he shifted his focus onto the next. I had the same concern, that he would run out of energy before common sense kicked back in but he got back OK. A dog that is a good swimmer can go a long way before he gets in trouble.

Ben having two same age dogs (are they litter mates?), can cause problems. Individual control and training are important.

Camping on the Murray is lovely, something my crew enjoyed 2 weeks ago. I certainly enjoyed swimming also, on those hot windy days.

Your dogs have learnt to ignore, back to basics quickly.

Yes they are litter mates! And yes we now know that we should have only gotten one at a time, but wouldn't give one up now!

Agreed, need to get back to basic recall one dog at a time...

Cheers

Ben

Ben having two same age dogs (are they litter mates?), can cause problems. Individual control and training are important.

Camping on the Murray is lovely, something my crew enjoyed 2 weeks ago. I certainly enjoyed swimming also, on those hot windy days.

Your dogs have learnt to ignore, back to basics quickly.

Yes they are litter mates! And yes we now know that we should have only gotten one at a time, but wouldn't give one up now!

Agreed, need to get back to basic recall one dog at a time...

Cheers

Ben

Ben, I kept 3 from a litter. Mind you placed one at 2 years of age. Training three litter mate separately nearly killed me. HA!!!!! At one stage another litter mate was returned to me as being too hyperactive. Placed her well - she has won the Australian national retrieving championship twice so far.