Puppy With Rash

gsdog2

My 10wk old GSD girl has developed a rash on her belly that's almost blister-like. It hasn't affected her appetite and although she seems to appreciate us giving her belly a light rub, she doesn't lick or scratch it at all. I've also just noticed the glands in her neck are swollen. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow, but I'm wondering if anyone can suggest what it might be?

Edited by gsdog2

No idea- keep her cool, and good luck at the vet tomorrow... puppy acne?

I haven't seen puppy acne, but it doesn't seem to fit the description. It's evenly spread on the bare skin of her belly, and seems to look worse in the more humid/hotter part of the day. The rash looks a lot like chickenpox.

? reaction to a vaccination maybe

She's only had her six week vaccination which was a month ago now, and she's just developed the rash. I'm guessing it's a reaction to something - although the glands being swollen concerns me. I feed her Eukanuba with about 10ml of puppy milk (just for the taste), three times a day. She also has a chicken neck every couple of days. I haven't given her anything else to eat ie. table scraps. It's not flea's as we don't have a flea problem here. As I said I am taking her to the vet tomorrow, but I'm curious about the swollen glands and if there's a connection with the rash or is that just a coincidence :love:

Does the pup play on a grassy area?.... some dogs/pups have grass allergies and the heat will irritate any rash. :love:

This is a definate possibility as I've noticed grass seeds (my husband has now mowed) sticking to her wet belly (we've had a lot of rain) and wondered if that caused the rash. Would she also have swollen glands though?

Have you checked to see if a grass seed has entered her body? They can be nasty little buggers. If one has it can cause an infection and yes the glands will swell. If this is the case the quicker you get a grass seed out the better as they can travel in the dogs system and cause all sorts of damage.

How long has she had the rash for?

A rash can be from numerous different things.,but I think the most common is usually caused by a bacteria infection and yep this will cause the glands to swell too. It can be easily treated with treatment of antibiotics from your vet. Malaseb wash is fantastic for skin allergies too and will help if your dog is itching from the rash.

Hope this helps. :love:

Edited by BUGGA-LUGZ

Ok, went to the vet and she has been diagnosed with "Puppy Pyoderma". Am I correct in guessing this is just another term for Puppy Strangles? Puppy Strangles gets it's name because the glands in the neck swell up so much they cause the pup to choke. He has prescribed Rilexine 300mg 1/2 tablet twice daily for 10 days. I have read about prednisolone being used to treat this condition, however this was not mentioned by my vet (who I have a lot of faith in).

I'm very confused as I have read about the damage this condition can cause to the immune system, however I have also read it can disappear on it own, and with the use of antibiotics it's relatively easy to treat. To me, she doesn't appear to be a sick/unhealthy puppy (a little sleepy maybe) and I am finding it hard to grasp she could have anything more sinister than a doggy version of teenage acne, which is how my vet described it.

Has anyone else had a pup with the same condition (particularly the rash to the BELLY), and what was the outcome?

Edited by gsdog2

Not sure that pyoderma and puppy strangles are the same thing.

I have had 2 puppies with strangles and it is horrible! My pups were both treated cortisone and antibiotics, not sure you will have much luck in treating strangles without cortisone.

Good luck.

I am under the impression that Puppy Pyoderma is a form of dermatitis and not Puppy Strangles. I looked it up and found this info: HERE

I would also give her a bath with Malaseb wash.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for your replies - you have put my mind at ease :shrug: . She's such a special little pup I worry at the thought of her being at all unwell. BL I looked at that sight too and I'm hoping that's all we're looking at.