How To Get My Girl Pup To Wee Especially At Night

NTC

We got our little Cav yesterday and I am having trouble getting her to wee. As you can see from my post it is 1.30am and I have taken her out twice tonight trying to get her to wee. She starts whinging and so off I trot out to get her to wee. As soon as I put her down she starts thinking it is a game and just jumps on my feet and thinks it is play time. I don't speak to her it is all done very quietly but nothing seems to make her wee. I know she can wee as I have seen her do it. My previous dog would wee almost straight away but was a boy and I am not sure if this made a difference. I am crate training her

Does rubbing their belly help? I am sick of standing out in the backyard with a torch for 15 mins waiting for her to do something. I just want to get the wee over and back to bed hate standing out in the garden in the middle of the night :)

I know exactly how you feel, when I got mine it was cold in Canberra, really not hanging around in the yard late at night weather (or early morning, for that matter, brrrr).

One thing I did that made my dog's system move a bit (not great for night, though) was throw a ball or something, get her to run a little bit. When she's done the right thing, praise her and put her back to bed, you don't have to stay up playing.

Same as out walking, if she has a little gallop in that time she does more wees.

I have a girl who was/is very shy about going to the loo, she will even step behind me to go, if there is no where else to hide! She will NOT pee on lead, in over 3 years, she has gone to the loo on the lead 2 times! One was at a flyball day, we had been there all day and she must have been busting, another was while we were traveling, she hadnt gone in 2 days (i couldnt believe it!) she got a BAD UTI by the time we got home, silly girl!

How old is the dog? could it be that she just doesnt need to go?

When I was house training the foster, he took about 20 mins to pee the first time I took him out at night. He wanted to come inside too but you just have to be patient. As soon as he started weeing I praised the hell outta him, then I immediately let him inside again. The 2nd night it took him about 10mins to wee and I did the same thing. From then on he learnt that when he wees, he gets to go back inside. After that it took about 5 seconds.

It is annoying standing outside at night but you just have to be patient.

NTC, Bella was trained using the same method as LMC's Charlie :thumbsup:

I wouldn't make it a game. Carry her outside, put her down and then stand straight back up - completely ignore her, don't even look her in the eye (but keep an eye on her). As soon as she goes, praise like crazy (don't worry about the neighbours - make as much noise as you please :dropjaw:) and treat if you like, then carry her back in and put her back to bed :thumbsup: Worked for us and worth a try :banghead:

TB, this is an 8-9 week old pup :thumbsup:

We got our little bubba in winter and it sucked standing out in the cold waiting for her to pee. What we did was everytime she did a pee we said "do weez" and praised her when she did it and after a few weeks she got the picture and then when we took her outside, even at 3 in the morning for a toilet break we would say "do weez" and she would do one straight away and then we would go back to bed. I did so very many things wrong when she was little but this was the one thing that went perfectly. Now when we go in the car, I can take her out beforehand and say "do weez" and she wont have to go whilst we are in the car.

Goodluck. I know it sucks heaps waiting for them to go, but try your best to see it out and things will eventually work for you.

I am happy to say my little girl has learnt fast three days in and she now wees when we ask. I think I was worrying unnecessarily. I am also happy to report we have had no wees or poos in our house except for her first hour home.

I am sick of standing out in the backyard with a torch for 15 mins waiting for her to do something. I just want to get the wee over and back to bed hate standing out in the garden in the middle of the night :(

15 minutes is nothing, I've stood out in the yard for over an hour with some of my puppies. It's something that has to be done and it soon passes.

We had toilet training nightmares as we used the emergency mat thing while one of ours was little....huge mistake - she will now pee on the bathroom mat occasionally. I had to take them outside and COMPLETELY ignore them (I still ignore them until they've gone), it originally took half an hour sometimes but it had to be done. One is also a shy piddler as well - so I have to pretend I'm not looking at her especially.