Warrnambool (vic) Dolers

jerojath

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ive never heard of Righteous pups, they sound like a great organization. Wonder if thier dogs are hughly expensive like guide dogs?

MC your little doggy pic has gone??

Yes, I miss the pic of Scruffy too!

Because I have recently heard some alarming things about a disabled person supplying assistance trained dogs near Bendigo, I googled Righteous and to my relief that person's name is not mentioned and they seem an up-front organisation.:thumbsup:

Training is $29,000 per dog but these costs are met by corporate sponsors, so free to the families involved. Their website however did say that they currently have 10 dogs (all labradors) in training and a waiting list of 142 families...:(

So, Moodychick, unfortunately unless you can become an assistance dog trainer yourself, I think your chances of an assistance dog are very slim, so that any dog you do get from a shelter or a responsible breeder you would need to consider a family member, a pet, but not an assistant in caring for your boy.

I know how hard it is in a regional area with a spectrum child, you should have him diagnosed properly so that there is a chance of you getting some help or at the very least hooking up with a local support group. You do need regular breaks.

Given the age and nature of your son at the moment, I genuinely couldn't recommend a puppy of any small or even medium breed. You would just end up with more mischief making on your plate with an extra body to watch over. If it has to be a small dog, then look at adults whose nature is already proven. There is no guarantee at all that a puppy will bond with your son as it morphs into adulthood and then you will have two Scruffies ... great dogs but no bond with him.

I think you will need to be very patient, and spend a lot of time looking - ask if you can go and look at the local obedience club training (set it up in advance so that he can have a cuddle session with those willing), occasionally there are dog shows in your region - go to those too, and look at the different breeds and talk to the breeders.

Since it has to be a small, but calm and rugged dog I really don't think that the average foxie, mini-foxie, JRT or tentie should be your first choice, because these are high drive breeds. Many of the other small smooth coated breeds are actually quite high drive, especially as puppies, and those that aren't are somewhat fragile...

I would suggest that you look at some of the Highland Terriers and their derivatives - The Australian Terrier comes first to mind, very rugged, fantastic with children and quite the little Nanny dogs! The Cairn Terrier is another, although possibly a little too much coat for you? Same with the Westie - great temperaments, bit too much coat. The Border Terrier is a slightly larger breed, but again has the qualities I could recommend.

Keep talking with us and letting him get more and more exposure to different dogs.

Great advice RP, so many helpful people here!

MC, I can't find you on facey, one minute you were there then you were gone?

Still no sign of Tenties.......where are youuuuuuuuu????

Hi Guys, just thought I'd update. The pups we were waiting for ever so anxiously on Monday last week, arrived this morning by caesarian. 4 big healthy babies, 2 boys, 2 girls. Three pups were sharing the same sac so they weren't coming on their own. Was a long night last night and off to the vet at 4.30am but was well worth it!post-39438-0-58883200-1317790626_thumb.jpg

Awwww, very cute, they look a good size! Are they boxers? Have you got one picked out? :laugh:

Yeah little baby Boxers, all 4 are sold, but not to me. Would love to take them all home, but I've got my 5 month old bitch moving in next week. She'll keep me busy enough!!! :) These little guys were from a friend's bitch, and she was happy to let me observe the birth, mind you it didn't really go to plan... But Mum and pups are all well, pups are feeding well and Mum is very attentive. Will send more pics as they grow, and of my bitch when she arrives!! :)

Chataboxboxers,

Is the dog run anything like what you are after ???

I know I've seen some somewhere advertised almost the same as ours only already made that you just have to put together but I still cant remember where but I know it was local as I kept thinking it may have been easier to have done it that way rather than make it.

Cute pups BTW :D

Cheers Janet

Chataboxboxers,

Is the dog run anything like what you are after ???

I know I've seen some somewhere advertised almost the same as ours only already made that you just have to put together but I still cant remember where but I know it was local as I kept thinking it may have been easier to have done it that way rather than make it.

Cute pups BTW :D

Cheers Janet

Hi Janet!

Your dog runs are exactly what I had in mind. Would love to buy pre-made if you happen to remember where you saw them advertised.

Morning All!

If anyone is interested, I ordered two DogzOnline Slow-Cooker Recipe Books some time ago which were part of a fundraising effort by DOL & MDBA.

Anyway, it looks like a great book with some awesome recipes in it and I will be definately giving a few of them a run! :eat:

Thing is, I ordered the second one for a friend who no longer has need for one.

So, if any of you guys would like it you are welcome to it. First to post here can have it, but you will need to collect it from Repti-Life.

The price is $100.

Nah! I bought them to support the MDBA, and I paid for them SOOOOooooooooo long ago now I can't even remember what they cost! :confused: .

It is going free to the first DOLer who says they would like it. But plesae, only take it if you will be sure to use it.... I'd hate for it to be stuck in a cupboard and not utilized. :)

What a nice offer Jj, I got mine the other day and I had totally forgotten about ordering it, I've had a quick flick through and the recipies look great. If you have no takers at I'll I'd love it for my mum, but in reality I can just photocopy the recipies she likes out of mine.

I've been going to pop into the shop to say hi and check out the new digs, just gotta find a spare minute. :thumbsup:

What a nice offer Jj, I got mine the other day and I had totally forgotten about ordering it, I've had a quick flick through and the recipies look great. If you have no takers at I'll I'd love it for my mum, but in reality I can just photocopy the recipies she likes out of mine.

I've been going to pop into the shop to say hi and check out the new digs, just gotta find a spare minute. :thumbsup:

If there are no 'takers' tlc you are welcome to take it for your Mum, but the fact you can make copies for her makes me think we should really offer it to someone who doesn't have one at all.

Maybe we'll give it til close of business today? ;)

Yes definatley! It's easy to make copies.

Still no sign of Tenties? Maybe her internet is down? Jess has been quiet lately too, wonder if she is about?

And what ever happened to Lizzy, we never even got to meet her?

I'm heading out this arvo to meet one of the girls from work with a Spood, the boys are going to have a play date with him, should be fun. Might take my camera.