My Dog Is Not Interested In Toys

One of mine is only interested in toys sometimes ( in environments where he is comfortable, like the backyard). Mine like the squeaky ones the best, out of the tugging ones they like the ones covered in fur.

The same dog who will not work for toys at training will happily chase someone else's ball at the park though :(

Not all dogs like toys. While you can try several and try making them fun (movement, playing with them yourself, teasing, rewarding for any interaction), it may not happen.

Guest PixieOfWrath

My Brody won't play with toys... he isn't the slightest bit interested in them. He just likes food and cuddles :(

I actually found this really interesting training tool the other day and I figur it can be used to encourage a dog to play with toys

Tug it

I have also watched a video on it and really when you look at the method behind it, its really quiet clever.. I think it'd be worth a shot, Ill be purchasing one as soon as I have the money!!

I actually found this really interesting training tool the other day and I figur it can be used to encourage a dog to play with toys

Tug it

I have also watched a video on it and really when you look at the method behind it, its really quiet clever.. I think it'd be worth a shot, Ill be purchasing one as soon as I have the money!!

I brought one of those a few months ago(the beginner one) but discovered it got a hole in it pretty quickly(gsd)and she was actually trying to eat it rather than tug it so the material was getting more in her back of her mouth hence the holes so quickly

I just got myself one of those tug-it starters for my seriously unmotivated (by toys) kelpie - started off with treats inside but found he just licked or mouthed it, didn't offer a tug, so...

I put a turkey wing inside it, dragged it round the ground a bit, let the dog chase it, have a sniff and a lick - no reward. Used a marker and normal treat to reward mouthing, which progressed pretty quickly to a tentative tug - which got him the turkey wing. Next time out, he offered a good tug with a weight shift back (which is what I want) - and got the wing.

The turkey wing gave him something to grab hold off, it was something he really wanted and something that he could just taste through the mesh but couldn't actually get any bits of food from (as you would if you used treats that crumbled).

Should see his eyes light up when I pull that toy out now :thumbsup:

The problem with crumbly treats is that the dog can self reward by chewing the toy, rather than tugging - as little pieces of food may come out when they chew. I still want to be able to control when the dog gets the reward - he knows where it is, I show him how to get it - he offers the correct behaviour, I give him the reward by getting the food out of the toy. Everyone wins.

Excellent idea SM.

I got my younger dog as a rescue, she was very reserved in the first few weeks. I taught her to play with the aid of my older dog. I put a jingle bell collar on him as a cue (for her not him) and got stuck in to him with a towel which is his favourite game. After watching on quietly a few times she stuck her nose in....not seriously at first but definatly interested. She started to react when she heard the bells too. So i hid some liver treats in the towel and tried putting the bells on her. It was very positive. She was very gentle at first but didnt take her long to get the idea. Towel was for tugging. Got to the point where I couldnt even bump the bells without her bouncing off the wall.

Cant dry either of them without it becoming a full blown game now....I didnt think this through well enough.

Ok- not being at all into agility- competitive training/games with dogs...

Is it just for training purposes people are wanting dogs to tug, etc?

Personally, I am very happy if my dogs aren't pestering me with toys, or racing about :)..I am certainly not looking to teach them how!

Guess my bit of 'training' is more to keep the dogs calm and slow them down... opposite of what is required for dog sports,etc.

*as you were.... rambling over*

:)

Ok- not being at all into agility- competitive training/games with dogs...

Is it just for training purposes people are wanting dogs to tug, etc?

Personally, I am very happy if my dogs aren't pestering me with toys, or racing about :)..I am certainly not looking to teach them how!

Guess my bit of 'training' is more to keep the dogs calm and slow them down... opposite of what is required for dog sports,etc.

*as you were.... rambling over*

:laugh:

It is designed for people who want to teach tugging as a reward but I'm purchasing mine to teach my dogs the joys of toys.. All I want is a dog who wants to chase a ball and run around with me with a toy!!

i was hoping she would play with toys like most other dogs.... but yes i can understand why you, persephone enjoy the peace and quite

I'm the same with my 2 dogs.They are not particuarly interested in toys or tugs and I wish that they would at least chase a ball occasionally instead of just looking at me like I'm crazy and waiting for me to go get it if I want it back,think my lot are broke :thumbsup:

I keep buying different toys thinking this will be the one that gets them interested but does not happen,even brought a ball tonight for them from Pet Barn as it's a bit more rubbery than the other balls they have,fingers crossed :)

acutally, come to think of it persephone when she's inside i have to hide all the cat toys cause she just wrecks them (little ball that rattles, a wind up mouse like you suggested but now doent work cause she pulled the string right out the back of it) Wouldn't these toys pose as a health risk, being small and all that.

Both of my dogs are the same, they have zero interest in toys. We were at the park the other day and found a tennis ball on the ground, I threw it for the random lab running around and almost had a heart attack when Tucker went after it and grabbed it in his mouth! When he saw how excited I was, he immediately dropped it and came running back. :laugh:

I dunnae if it has anything to do with them both being pound dogs and perhaps in their past lives neither of them were allowed toys, or were punished for chewing or showing interest in objects... it's sad because I especially would love Tucker to learn to chase a ball, it would give him some great exercise!

I took my kelpie x to flyball training cause the other players thought he would go well as a smaller dog. He had no interest in balls althou I had trained him to touch and then put it in his mouth. One thing the trainer said to get him more interested was to hide the toy or ball you want him to enjoy. Then each night jump up, run around really excited, then find the toy/ball. Make a fuss of it your self and then put it away and sit down calmly. Fun over. It gets so you do this, the dog gets really excited and it really!!! wants whatever it is that you have.

So the dog did learn to act nearly like a normal ball-mad kelpie (using those mini tennis balls). For a short period of time he will chase and fetch. But he thinks he deserves a food reward for it and after 2 or 3 retrieves I can see he is over it and I stop before he does.

He fleas his stuffed toys and only plays with them at home. I wish he would tug as it is better than food rewards specially for his waistline! My club is really keen on tugging so I keep working on it. Bit improved but just not his button.