"budget" Dry Dog Food.

Guest Willow

I've just bought a bag each of the Great Barko and the Uncle Albers to try. I've mixed it in with half a bag of Bonnie working dog to start.

Most of the labs just hoovered it up without a second thought.

Although one actually flat out refused to eat it. Well he did try it then spat it on the ground. (so there ya go....not all labradors eat everything). So he is back on the Bonnie.

Another will pick through it....very very slowly....and then messes around with the last mouthful or so. So I will put her back to the Bonnie also.

It was worth a shot to try it.....and I'll have to finish the bags now....but not for us.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When they came to collect their little darling, owners could not get over the fact that he now ate "dog food" :laugh: ...and was looking very good on it. Rushed to write down the magic formula and were off to buy some Coprice & doggy snagger. :rolleyes:

Somehow, once he gets home I think he will get them right back under his little iron paw tho'... :wink:

:eek: ;) :p

Im wanting to try Coprice, Great Barko and another one called Pro Pac.I wish you could get small bags to start off with so you wouldnt have to waste money on a big bag if it didnt work out for some reason.

I emailed the makers of Great Barko and they sent me 5 small sample bags of their product. Plenty for me to try my littlies on. Worth a go 'specially if you have small breeds.

Oh great Pebbles Ill do the same.Thanks a lot :rolleyes:

i wont touch bonnie, i worked in a kennel that used it, and all the dogs did fine on it - but for my dogs? Nope, seems i had to feed them twice as much, and got 10 times the poops out the other end!!

I feed nurtience, and wont ever change, but if i HAD to, i would go back to supercoat, one of the few foods Atlas does well on (kaos could eat chum for the rest of her life and be in perfect condition !!)

Need to be specific as Bonnie comes in two varieties- Bonnie Complete is chicken based & not good. Bonnie Working Dog Is roo/beef based & is the one to use.

I have been feeding my Labs Pro Plan and they all looked pretty average, so after reading this thread I went and bought some Uncle Albers and the difference in them is amazing! Their coats have improved and they look great. My puppy is still getting Pro Plan, as she is doing really well on it and also spat out the Uncle Albers.

I am still coming to terms with the fact that my dogs are actually doing well on cheap food :rolleyes:

Bensons coat is far far better on Uncle Albers than it ever was on the premium kibble. He doesn't have a lot of it, maybe two meals a week, three at the very most, but the difference is incredible. Not just his coat either, but his skin is no longer itchy, red and flaky.

My 7kg mini poodle can eat any food, but the 24kg standard is a different story.

Supercoat produced very runny poos.

Great Barko: OK, though not that keen on it (a hungry dog will eat, though!).

Bonnie Working Dog: Good (he needed a bit of extra weight on and is active).

Purina One: Very good, but is pricier for a supermarket food (better if the dog's a small breed and eats less).

I add raw meaty bones/ chicken necks/ chicken carcasses etc. too.

Guest Clover
Here's a list of Vic distributors:

http://www.lauckemills.com.au/distributorsvic.html

:love: Thankyou Gayle, i have been looking for a distributor of Uncle Albers/ Great Barko in Ballarat and had not thought to try the Hayshed. I want to have some sort of dry food for back up if i run out of raw, usually it is Optimum.

Edited by Clover

The best dried food I've bought is very good quality but reasonably priced. It is from www.pricelesspets.com.au and the only dried food they sell.

Its about $70 or so for 15kgs, no additives and small, flattish, easy to eat biscuits. I've never come across a dog that hasn't loved it and that's saying something (I've had over 50 foster dogs!).

Is that the Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance one?

I use the cheapest sardines in a pack of three from Woolworths, costs $1.60 for three. Also use no frills tuna. All in spring water only.

Likewise. I bought a whole box the other week. Will last 20 or so days for $25.60.

Really good thread thank you!

We currently feed Eukanuba and after reading the posts in here im wondering if we were talked into something we necessarily dont need ($104 for 12kgs insert bankruptcy emoticon here).

I know it is a great dog food.... but i definitely gonna try something else next time.

Can someone tell me if it is bad to feed raw egg to dogs? I have heard it can be bad due to salmonella or some other bacterias?

And a little more info on feeding fish please. Do I just buy sardines and throw em in with the dry?

Just to add..... I think I was also sucked in to buying Euk @ $104 per bag because the guy said after 10 bags we get one free.

So after spending $1000 we get a $104 bag free.

Again, my dogs do great on Euk..... but Holy Crap thats a lot of money!

Can someone tell me if it is bad to feed raw egg to dogs? I have heard it can be bad due to salmonella or some other bacterias?

And a little more info on feeding fish please. Do I just buy sardines and throw em in with the dry?

It's absolutely fine (in fact preferable) to feed raw eggs to dogs and as far as fish goes, you can feed any fish but oily fish like sardines, mackeral and salmon are the best. Tuna is very low in fat (oil) so there's less point in feeding it to your dogs.

I sometimes just give a tin of sardines for a light meal or I'll add it to whatever else they are eating, I really don't think it matters how they end up with it, I have even given sardines, raw egg and youghurt all mixed together and that went down a real treat!! :thumbsup:

Guest Willow

I read somewhere that raw egg white can do something to dogs, not from bacteria.......somehting to do with the kidneys or liver....but unfortunately that's all I can remember from the article :D ....sorry, that's very vague!!!!

If anyone can add any more to that, please feel free!!! :thumbsup:

I read somewhere that raw egg white can do something to dogs, not from bacteria.......somehting to do with the kidneys or liver....but unfortunately that's all I can remember from the article :D ....sorry, that's very vague!!!!

If anyone can add any more to that, please feel free!!! :thumbsup:

There's this:

... from http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/eggwhite.htm

Many clinical nutrition books discuss biotin (one of the water soluble vitamin B complex) as being an essential nutrient which can be bound by avidin, which is found in raw egg white. This binding prevents it's absorption from the gastrointestinal tract. Fortunately cooking deactivates this effect of avidin, and egg yolk is so high in biotin content that biotin deficiency does not occur when whole raw eggs are fed. So, whilst biotin deficiency is a potential problem - in reality it is unlikely to be seen in domesticated animals unless they are fed an extremely imbalanced ration that is predominantly egg white.

On the positive side - raw chicken egg white does of course have some nutritional value and contains the following :

88.3% water

9% protein

Trace of fat

Trace of carbohydrate

Minerals -

Sodium - 190mg/100g

Chlorine - 170mg/100g

Potassium - 150mg/100g

Phosphorus - 33mg/100g

Magnesium - 11mg/100g

Calcium - 5mg/100g

Vitamins and vitamin precursors

Tryptophan (an amino acid and niacin precursor in dogs and other species but not cats, mink or fish) - 2.6 mg/100g

Riboflavin - 0.43 mg/100g

Pantothenate 0.3 mg/100g

Folate - 13 mg/100g

Biotin - 7 mg/100g

Vitamin C - 0

Vitamin D -0

Vitamin E - 0

No dietary fibre

36 kcal energy per 100g

Edited by ~ArtyFarty~

It's absolutely fine (in fact preferable) to feed raw eggs to dogs and as far as fish goes, you can feed any fish but oily fish like sardines, mackeral and salmon are the best. Tuna is very low in fat (oil) so there's less point in feeding it to your dogs.

I sometimes just give a tin of sardines for a light meal or I'll add it to whatever else they are eating, I really don't think it matters how they end up with it, I have even given sardines, raw egg and youghurt all mixed together and that went down a real treat!! :D

Thanks Arty!! Thats great advice and info! Gonna get the kids some fishy treats :thumbsup: