Good Time For Training

epi

When is the time to start training a puppy?

I have a 10 week old Chi pup who bites, chews, isn't toilet trained and has no manners whatsoever.

Am I right to wait until she's had all of her shots to start teaching her to toilet outside in the backyard?? Or is it okay if she's outside on the grass for a few minutes until she goes?

When you're eating something Holle will be jumping all over you, biting your hair, digging at you, anything she can to get attention and a piece of your food. She's never gotten anything out of this method and when you say "NO" in a firm voice and tap her nose she thinks you're playing with her and she gets all excited. How can I make her realise that "No" is a negative term and not another word for play?

Holle also runs away when you try to pick her up, and she lets you chase her for about 3 minutes before finally getting tired/or getting caught. How can I stop her from doing this?

Holle's going to be hitting the ring in early March, when's the right time to show train her?? We have lessons in a couple of weeks and we'll have a few before the show but I've been told to start as early as possible so it becomes like second nature to them. Is this true or should I just wait until we go to handling lessons?

And finally, Holle is a very mouthy and bitey puppy. She chews on fingers, hair, and the other dogs' tails. I know it won't be very good if a judge comes over to look her over and she's chewing at their fingers. How can I train her not to do this?

Thanks for reading.

Start training her straight away cara. She can go outside in your own property, just not around the streets and parks till after 2nd vacc. My little girl (12wks) is a ratbag too, but I have got her walking well on a show lead now using roast chicken as bribery. I prefer to growl at naughtly puppies or "Arrgh!" rather than use the word NO. It is what their mother's would do and they understand that. I wouldn't tap her nose either - that is more of a play gesture. I would either take hands right away (denying contact) or maybe pinch the cheek with a slight shake (with the low quiet growl) to mimick an adult dog's correction. I am having trouble getting my little one to stand still (though I have not done too much training really). Her first show is in 2 weeks so I better get onto it! Basically you want her to be comfortable following you on a light lead and be able to stand still on a table, preferably without any shyness with the judge. Babies are forgiven alot so don't worry. I could not even get Tazer to walk on a lead at home, he would just lay on the floor. At his first show, to my delight, he trotted along perfectly as there was too much else to take his attention then worrying about a lead. He won his class too.

Edited by badboyz

I have a 10 week old Chi pup who bites, chews, isn't toilet trained and has no manners whatsoever.

errr .... most puppies will not come trained :) and especially in a new home without guidence they will just do what they think is the right thing to do :( cheeky sods

dont think of training as what you see in obedience. Training is manners. Just like kids YOU have to show them what is right and wrong. If you say NO say it in a very low growly voice, loudly as well. Chis are tiny things you dont need to bop them on the nose, a little gentle pinch of the scruff can help her understand.

Maybe you should be speaking to her breeder if you are having so many issues and about the show training. I'm sure they would be glad to help as it is their kennel name going out in the ring.

Cara, training starts the minute you bring a puppy home!

Holle will be fine in your back yard. In reality, she has as much chance of catching something out there as she has in your house. you are best keeping her out of the front yard and away from streets and parks where unknown dogs wonder/play.

When you want Holle to come or you want to pick her up and she runs away, walk backs away from her and use an irresistibly excited voice so she turns to look at you and WANTS to come to you. If you continue to chase her she wins every time. Just don't forget to praise her coming to you.

I would put Holle away during meal times if she is being a right pain, use her crate and give her a favorite toy to entertainer herself with. IF she is pestering you while you are having snacks, try sitting up at the bench away from where she can get to you (I'm sure it would keep mum happy too LOL). As she settles and gets a little older and basic manners come in you can work on teaching her to leave you alone during meal times.

With the biting, try getting her to focus her chewing on a toy. If she runs up and grabs your hand remove your hands for a second and then offer her something you DO want her to chew on. She should get the idea pretty quickly that fingers aren't chew toys and when you start show training they will introduce her to being checked over and help teach you to teach her that she must have her mouth opened without chewing the fingers. Again she will settle with time and basic training too.

She is coming to the show next weekend with you yeah? S&C, Pixie and I can give you some tips and help you out with some hands on too. The suggestion of contacting your breeders is also a good one.

Main thing is, don't worry, she is young but VERY trainable and OH SO CUTE!!!

Edited as I hit reply too soon :(

Edited by Freckles

Start training her straight away cara. She can go outside in your own property, just not around the streets and parks till after 2nd vacc. My little girl (12wks) is a ratbag too, but I have got her walking well on a show lead now using roast chicken as bribery. I prefer to growl at naughtly puppies or "Arrgh!" rather than use the word NO. It is what their mother's would do and they understand that. I wouldn't tap her nose either - that is more of a play gesture. I would either take hands right away (denying contact) or maybe pinch the cheek with a slight shake (with the low quiet growl) to mimick an adult dog's correction. I am having trouble getting my little one to stand still (though I have not done too much training really). Her first show is in 2 weeks so I better get onto it! Basically you want her to be comfortable following you on a light lead and be able to stand still on a table, preferably without any shyness with the judge. Babies are forgiven alot so don't worry. I could not even get Tazer to walk on a lead at home, he would just lay on the floor. At his first show, to my delight, he trotted along perfectly as there was too much else to take his attention then worrying about a lead. He won his class too.

Hahahah, I don't think Holle is capable of feeling shy. That's lucky for you!! Congrats, Tazer is just gorgeous. Thanks so mcuh for your reply, I will definitely try that.

errr .... most puppies will not come trained :) and especially in a new home without guidence they will just do what they think is the right thing to do :) cheeky sods

dont think of training as what you see in obedience. Training is manners. Just like kids YOU have to show them what is right and wrong. If you say NO say it in a very low growly voice, loudly as well. Chis are tiny things you dont need to bop them on the nose, a little gentle pinch of the scruff can help her understand.

Maybe you should be speaking to her breeder if you are having so many issues and about the show training. I'm sure they would be glad to help as it is their kennel name going out in the ring.

LOL hehe I know that. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

Cara, training starts the minute you bring a puppy home!

Holle will be fine in your back yard. In reality, she has as much chance of catching something out there as she has in your house. you are best keeping her out of the front yard and away from streets and parks where unknown dogs wonder/play.

When you want Holle to come or you want to pick her up and she runs away, walk backs away from her and use an irresistibly excited voice so she turns to look at you and WANTS to come to you. If you continue to chase her she wins every time. Just don't forget to praise her coming to you.

I would put Holle away during meal times if she is being a right pain, use her crate and give her a favorite toy to entertainer herself with. IF she is pestering you while you are having snacks, try sitting up at the bench away from where she can get to you (I'm sure it would keep mum happy too LOL). As she settles and gets a little older and basic manners come in you can work on teaching her to leave you alone during meal times.

With the biting, try getting her to focus her chewing on a toy. If she runs up and grabs your hand remove your hands for a second and then offer her something you DO want her to chew on. She should get the idea pretty quickly that fingers aren't chew toys and when you start show training they will introduce her to being checked over and help teach you to teach her that she must have her mouth opened without chewing the fingers. Again she will settle with time and basic training too.

She is coming to the show next weekend with you yeah? S&C, Pixie and I can give you some tips and help you out with some hands on too. The suggestion of contacting your breeders is also a good one.

Main thing is, don't worry, she is young but VERY trainable and OH SO CUTE!!!

Edited as I hit reply too soon :hug:

I feel bad now, letting all the big dogs out and poor Holle has to sit at the door watching them all play without her!

Yes I'm taking her with me for a little while and would really love it if you helped me with her.

I was hoping I'd catch all of her bad habits (well, MY bad habits haha) wheil she was still young so she doesn't make a routine out of her naughtiness. Thanks for replying!!