Hot Spots

Bonduca

Thank you so much everyone for your feedback and help. My girl at the moment is covered in spots and it's quite distressing for both of us as it jsut spread like wild fire.

I hadn't had an opportunity to get back on here and I went to the chemist on Friday and got her some EDP podwer as it has the iodine in it and it has a drying agent. It seemed to soothe it very quickly. I will try what has been suggested to me by all of you to find which treatment works best for her.

Thank you all once again I appreciate the suggestions :D

Eqyss is not worth sh*t IMO as I spent over $60 on the shampoo and spray and it did f-all! My boy is scared enough of treatments so putting something like listerine on him would be incredibly painful and would result is a full on anxiety ridden dog.

I use to use Betadine/Curash and even that would sting and he would hate it. So pyohex shampoo wash to clean to pat dry and then if you wish use pyohex lotion twice on the first day, then once a day for three days and if needed after that once every second day! Also if very infect go to the vet and get neocort and anti-immflams and antiobiotics! :D Good Luck!

Ps my boy has had 30 + hot spots in his life and he is only 2 yrs and 2 day old.

That's a shame, the Eqyss shmpoo for itchy dogs certainly soothes my very itchy dog and the Mircotek spray clears up Bacterial infections we get often as a secondary elements to his allergies.

Pyohex makes my dog red raw and very sore.

So I don't think there's a need to be narky in your above post, clearly different things work for different dogs. In addition, you wouldn't let a hot spot get to such a stage that it would sting when Listerine is applied, I had thought that would be common sense, however I'll be sure not to assume next time.

Edited by sas

I have tried:

witchhazel and aloe vera - helped keep under control but didn't get rid of it

Malaseb - same helps with control, but didn't get rid of it

Medipulv powder - good for small stuff, but again didnt get rid of it

Washing with vinegar and water - kept i under control but didnt get rid of it totally

A weeks worth of antibiotics - calmed it down, but didnt get rid of it totally, Though in this case a later higher and longer dose did get rid of it when all else failed.

Betadine/Iodine - I havent used this but would have if staining wasnt going to be an issue. Love the stuff

Centigen spray - again, as it is bright purple, staining is an issue - I have used it in the past though on dogs where it doesn't matter and it is good

Neocort cream (green and white tube) - good stuff.

Eqyss is not worth sh*t IMO as I spent over $60 on the shampoo and spray and it did f-all! My boy is scared enough of treatments so putting something like listerine on him would be incredibly painful and would result is a full on anxiety ridden dog.

I use to use Betadine/Curash and even that would sting and he would hate it. So pyohex shampoo wash to clean to pat dry and then if you wish use pyohex lotion twice on the first day, then once a day for three days and if needed after that once every second day! Also if very infect go to the vet and get neocort and anti-immflams and antiobiotics! :thumbsup: Good Luck!

Ps my boy has had 30 + hot spots in his life and he is only 2 yrs and 2 day old.

That's a shame, the Eqyss shmpoo for itchy dogs certainly soothes my very itchy dog and the Mircotek spray clears up Bacterial infections we get often as a secondary elements to his allergies.

Pyohex makes my dog red raw and very sore.

So I don't think there's a need to be narky in your above post, clearly different things work for different dogs. In addition, you wouldn't let a hot spot get to such a stage that it would sting when Listerine is applied, I had thought that would be common sense, however I'll be sure not to assume next time.

My apologies - just so over allergies with my boy and hot spots are never small here :laugh: So Betadine etc stings the crap out of my dog and thus if he even sees me carrying a bowl around he runs in the opposite direction. I guess I thought everyones dogs get hot spots like mine does - in that we go to sleep and over night the area has had all the hair either chewed out or scratched off, exposing open flesh, and they are rarely any smaller than a 20 to 50 cent piece in size.

Here is one of the worst he has had :rofl:

IMG_1017.jpg

Again my apologies I really thought hot spots are always open skin etc, hence why I though how on earth can someone put something on them that would sting like crazy :rofl:

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

First time Puppy,

That is just awful that your poor dog has had so many hot spots in such a short time.

You have most likely tried these things anyway. :thumbsup:

Have you tried getting him on a low protein food or getting him off commercial food.

Keep him nice and trim.

Don't use any additives to his food eg vitamins and the like.

Try elimination diets, no red meat, no pet quality meat that contain preservatives.

I hope you can get on top of them.

First time Puppy,

That is just awful that your poor dog has had so many hot spots in such a short time.

You have most likely tried these things anyway. :rofl:

Have you tried getting him on a low protein food or getting him off commercial food.

Keep him nice and trim.

Don't use any additives to his food eg vitamins and the like.

Try elimination diets, no red meat, no pet quality meat that contain preservatives.

I hope you can get on top of them.

Thanks PAX - yeah it's been tough, and we are still investigating - done two food emil trials, tried 5 types of antihistamines, had his thryoid tested, tried 5 different shampoos and washing every 4 days for months, cotravance etc, etc, etc. We are going back to the vet this week to test for a yeast infection as it may be that as well as atopy. And sadly we must wait till the bonus from the government till we are able to go to a dermatologist as I have already spent well over a thousand on stupid stop gap measures, as he has just progressively gotten worse :rofl:

Sorry Redrob, not trying to hijack :laugh: and sincerely hope you can find something that helps your beautiful woofa's :thumbsup:

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

If you are having problems with flies as well cetrigen (the purple spray) helps keep them away and helped with the itching on my dog. May not look great but seems to work fantastic as she had one about the size of my palm on her back and when combined with antibiotics it is almost all gone 5 days later. Just waiting now for the last of her scabs to fall off. She did get shaved and this seems to help keep it dry too.

I will tell you my remedy it has always worked for me. Twice a day wash the hot spot with warm salty water making sure you remove all the gunk, dry the area off well and put hydrogen peroxide straight on the sore dont panic when it fizzes up this means it is drawing out germs. You will only have to use the salty water until the area is free of gunk then just put the peroxide on within 2 days it sould be drying out. Hope this will help.

We had our first hotpot this year and this was what I used:

One part hydrogen peroxide plus 2 parts methylated spirits mixed together.

Apply that to the hot spot (apply it thoroughly, don't be alarmed if it fizzles and froths). Within 24 hours the hot spot had dried up.

I have a dog that I have had extensive and severe hot spot issues so have tried every treatment round. The most effective for me was to give him a pred and apply Listerine, really worked well.

One thing I would say is anyone who has more than the odd hot spot should seriously considering sending a thyroid test to Jean Dodds. Thyroid testing was one of the first thing I tried when Mac started having skin issues and it come back low normal. I chose to run the TSH test to make sure it wasn’t thyroid and it also came back in the normal range so I ruled out thyroid. Move forward 4 years, I had a seriously ill dog on my hands with skin issues so bad I seriously considered pts. I am still not sure what made me do it but I chose to send a sampler over to Jean and Mac came back requiring supplementation. She recommended I start supplementation and that I eliminate all cereal and grains, it is 4 mths down the track and I have my dog back

I have a dog that I have had extensive and severe hot spot issues so have tried every treatment round. The most effective for me was to give him a pred and apply Listerine, really worked well.

One thing I would say is anyone who has more than the odd hot spot should seriously considering sending a thyroid test to Jean Dodds. Thyroid testing was one of the first thing I tried when Mac started having skin issues and it come back low normal. I chose to run the TSH test to make sure it wasn't thyroid and it also came back in the normal range so I ruled out thyroid. Move forward 4 years, I had a seriously ill dog on my hands with skin issues so bad I seriously considered pts. I am still not sure what made me do it but I chose to send a sampler over to Jean and Mac came back requiring supplementation. She recommended I start supplementation and that I eliminate all cereal and grains, it is 4 mths down the track and I have my dog back

What a positive story, thanks for sharing.