Sit Stay Problem

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big pat on the back Rubystar - you did a great job last night.

This is the same dog that I walked up to the car to give your mum something and she dived out of the boot and jumped all over me :rofl: must be my perfume odor la chicken :laugh:

We had Eastern States judges last night - who all do things differently to our WA judges - so it makes your pass even more special (just forget the score) its not important.

Scoota did his best open round ever last night (gees thats a BIG statement :thumbsup: ) and came away with 193 (losing 2 for down stays) - this score doesn't indicate the standard of the work he gave. Scores are just a number :thumbsup:

Which were the Eastern States judges that were judging?

I am just hoping dear Scoota saved me some of the gods extra special magic for tonight :thumbsup: .

Edited by ness

I get different results every time I try new settings! She knew Tuesday night that it wasn't "real" and proceeded to act nuts (doesn't help she loves you guys!), though I got some good focused heelwork out of her. When it comes to trials, she doest a 180 on me and behaves better for stays but gives me the middle finger to heelwork! SIGH! I guess she sees no point in it if I am not verbally encouraging her and periodically giving treats like we can do in training - I just wish I could figure out how to transition from that to nothing like in trials. Double sigh!! :thumbsup:

Mrs D Vigor (SA) Novice

Mr M Vigor (SA) Open

Ms L Knauth (Qld) UD

Mr L Knauth (Qld) UDX and CCD

Because there were 29 entries in Open it was sudden death - which is unheard of in WA. A lot of dogs didn't make it past the heelwork :thumbsup: Eventually 7 made it through to stays (8 actually but I opted not to do stays with Blaize).

The dreaded sit stay monster struck bigtime - we returned from the hide to find 4 out of the 7 dogs dropped.

So I think this just goes to show we all need to keep practicing those dreaded sit stays.

I think most of them went down as soon as you guys left, too :rofl: Was good to see the red dog was still sitting :thumbsup:

I was impressed with the CCD stays this time, all 7 of us in there got full marks in our stays :thumbsup: I thought for sure mine would let team down :mad

And yes... I count in my head while doing the stays, counting down that damn clock! I swear the down stays went for close to 3 minutes including walking away and back! And not including the time when we first put them in their downs. I put Ruby in her positions last possible moment as a tip I took away from this thread, AND I told the judge I wasn't ready in the sit stay when he asked cos Ruby was sitting too far forward. I was shocked I actually said "NO!" :laugh:

And yes... I count in my head while doing the stays, counting down that damn clock! I swear the down stays went for close to 3 minutes including walking away and back! And not including the time when we first put them in their downs. I put Ruby in her positions last possible moment as a tip I took away from this thread, AND I told the judge I wasn't ready in the sit stay when he asked cos Ruby was sitting too far forward. I was shocked I actually said "NO!" :thumbsup:

BIG C/T - well done and now you have done it the first time - told the judge that you weren't ready - you wont be rushed and won't be frightened to tell them again :thumbsup:

I never set my dog up until the last possible moment - however.....last night the judge insisted that we sat the dogs next to the pegs before removing the lead (Sally is this something Michael usually does). He then proceeded to give us the judge chat eg you must leave together etc. During this time I got my dog up, patted him and then repositioned him at the last possible moment. Remember the exercises doesn't start until the judge asks....Are You Ready.

Hmmm we don't have the dreaded sit stay monster we have a dreaded down stay monster :cry: . Bloody dog blew a 187 in Open tonight sitting up 1 minute into the down stay. A relive of the Adelaide Royal. I was thrilled with her ring work though. Interesting a friend commented that she was next to the say dog at the Royal when she broke and the response was similar - about 1 minute she sat up. Wonder if she is worried about being in a down stay next to this other dog.

ETA. Yeah pretty common in SA (Ann Twaddle was our open judge tonight and had the same protocol) but its not strictly enforced. Tonight I just removed my lead and then got her to sit. Although obviously sit stays aren't an issue for us.

Edited by ness

BIG C/T - well done and now you have done it the first time - told the judge that you weren't ready - you wont be rushed and won't be frightened to tell them again :cry:

Well, after I said no, I made the mistake of not getting Ruby up, walking back and then setting up position again, she was just waaay too tired and lacking oomph that I knew it would be a task and a half to get that position quick smart while they were waiting for me. So I tried to get her to straighten up by getting her to look up at me (touch game option was out, she was knackered) and I tried soooo hard not to touch her to raise her up! So in the end, I sighed and just said yes I'm ready and left her in the exact same position :( Oh well, she did it...!

I never set my dog up until the last possible moment - however.....last night the judge insisted that we sat the dogs next to the pegs before removing the lead (Sally is this something Michael usually does). He then proceeded to give us the judge chat eg you must leave together etc. During this time I got my dog up, patted him and then repositioned him at the last possible moment. Remember the exercises doesn't start until the judge asks....Are You Ready.

Our QLD judge did the same. We were told to take up position next to the marker before leads were removed, then he gave us the spiel and told us what we could and could not do (he was very helpful to us newbies!) but he then told us when he says to take up position, we have the option of staying put or moving back out of position and getting in again. Both times I opted to break the position and set up again so the stays didn't end up being a minute or so longer than they needed to be :laugh: I especially aim do it between the end of the sit stay and beginning of down stay to totally separate the 2 exercises - if I put her in a down straight from a sit I have this feeling that isn't going to help my sit stay problem!!!

Well done Rubystar! Oh and Ness and Ptolomy too. Don't worry too much 85 is a comfortable pass, nothing to think poorly of. The heel work will improve. New places and nervous handlers always impact on the dogs heel work so don't worry. 3rd is fabulous well done! And truely aren't you tickled pink? I know I would be that first pass is always lovely.

Well done Rubystar! Oh and Ness and Ptolomy too. Don't worry too much 85 is a comfortable pass, nothing to think poorly of. The heel work will improve. New places and nervous handlers always impact on the dogs heel work so don't worry. 3rd is fabulous well done! And truely aren't you tickled pink? I know I would be that first pass is always lovely.

Thanks! :) Here's hoping the heelwork does improve, as its the thing I struggle with the most with Ruby. Yes I'm tickled pink at a pass under our belt :)