Dogs Skin Iritation

brandybaby

Hi I am just after some advise and I didnt know how to word it.

she has these large spots where the skin is going back to red,however she isnt bitting or scratching them so I dont know how they are scabbing up.

They are swollen just red with sores on them.

she has a patch on her chest,patch under her front armpit, small patch behind her ear,and smaller again piece on her leg.

she is a very active dog and this has not held her back at all however looks painful.

i have been putting Malaseb wash on them every 2 days, but these ones look alot worse and I didnt know if the wash was making it worse on her.

i will be taking her to the vets tomorrow but I thought someone might be aware of what this is. It could also be an alergic reaction. but I took out the wondering dew a few weeks back so not sure if she is alergic to something else aswell.

Could be anything from an allergic reaction to plants, hot spots or a food allergy.

Check your garden for nasty plants.

Get some salty water and bath the spots and dry and apply some curash powder, if weepy, or curash cream if dry(curash is babys nappy rash powder & cream from the chemist or supermarket). If the sores don't improve in the next few days she could have a staph infection and need antibiotics to get rid of it.

Remove all grains and processed food from her diet.

Hi I am just after some advise and I didnt know how to word it.

she has these large spots where the skin is going back to red,however she isnt bitting or scratching them so I dont know how they are scabbing up.

They are swollen just red with sores on them.

she has a patch on her chest,patch under her front armpit, small patch behind her ear,and smaller again piece on her leg.

she is a very active dog and this has not held her back at all however looks painful.

i have been putting Malaseb wash on them every 2 days, but these ones look alot worse and I didnt know if the wash was making it worse on her.

i will be taking her to the vets tomorrow but I thought someone might be aware of what this is. It could also be an alergic reaction. but I took out the wondering dew a few weeks back so not sure if she is alergic to something else aswell.

Sounds like an allergy to something - could be mites (esp if they are scabing up), could be garden, could even be food. let us know what the vet says - but you may have to go on some kind of medicated creams, analgesic or similar (I know in humans its a steriod based cream; maybe similar in dogs?).

Unfortunately I couldnt get into the vet so she will have to wait until monday.

I have given her another malaseb wash,done another walk of the yard and there is no wondering dew.

I will go and buy some curash and give it a go. I am currently charging the baTTERY on my camera and will put some pics up for you too see.

Could easily be a skin infection - staph in particular.

When the skin becomes inflamed, its natural barriers are weakened and the bacteria that normally live on the skin can flourish.

Is she an itchy dog in general? My experience with bulldogs is that they are very commonly atopic or have quite sensitive skin. It's likely she has come into contact with something that has irritated those areas enough to inflame the skin and result in an infection.

P2280420.jpg

this is a behind the ears shot

P2280418.jpg

chest one

P2280416.jpg

same ear just different angle

you know I just watched her playing with the cocker spaniel and they were rolling around on the cement driveway. I wonder if these are soem sort of rub mark from sliding on the driveway?

also husband mows once a week not sure if cut grass can cause these marks either. They are just small bloody[mainly red] small areas. they arent bothering her but she is a little placid compared to her wild usual self.

any suggestions are welcome

thanks all

Our dog's dermatologist said that chicken can be an allergen in dogs.

But if she was having chicken in another form (necks etc) its not likely to be that. The only other diet thing I can think of is possible preservatives which can be in mince.

You know, I've never thought to try Curash on our guy :rolleyes:

can anyone tell me about heat spots?

as she now has some under her front arms and back legs,2 small patches behind her ears and one on her chest I am thinking they are heat spots.

as I am not aware of what heat sports are I will do a googtle search just thought someone could tell me abit about them on here.

If she is getting more - the vet would be an EXCELLENT idea !

There may be an underlying bacterial problem- which means the spread of these lesions...or it could even be something like ringworm

or it may be she is still being exposed to a nasty allergen. :cheer:

they don't really look like 'hotspots' to me ,from these photos.. hotspots are usually wet and mucky and very painful.

I think the vet needs to have a good look

Are the red dots on the surface or under the skin? Are the raised or flat? The ones on the ears look almost like skin hemorrhage - often from trauma but can also be other conditions which cause it.

I'd be off to the vet when you can...

thanks

going to the vet tomorrow

have put curash on the areas and they are itchy, I didnt realise she was scratching them,but now I have watched her more she is scratching them.

they are on the surface and they are just areas. like a kid if they grazed their knee. behind the ear is not much at all now,seems to be going away.

husband is mowing the lawn again so I will see if this makes a difference also.