Chicken Frames ...

NoodleNut

As everybody said, fresh chicken frames are quite good, the bones are soft.

However, I do think that cooked bones can break down slowly and maybe even leave some residual mass in the intestines. It's almost pure calcium and can get hard and dry and not get out with the poo.

I have a question about chicken frames also, I was told that you aren't meant to feed them frozen to a dog, because they are just like feeding a dog cooked chicken bones. Is this true?

I haven't heard that one .... I give them to her frozen because;

a. It slows down her eating

b. in this hot weather it keeps them fresher

c. I always did that when she was getting her new teeth as a pup (also gave her chicken necks to slow her eating down .. until she swallowed one whole!! NO MORE CHICKEN NECKS!! SCARED THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS OUT OF ME WITH HER CHOKING ON IT!!

See what other DOLers have to say about the frozen idea ... I will be interested int he comments myself.

I have a question about chicken frames also, I was told that you aren't meant to feed them frozen to a dog, because they are just like feeding a dog cooked chicken bones. Is this true?

I haven't heard that one .... I give them to her frozen because;

a. It slows down her eating

b. in this hot weather it keeps them fresher

c. I always did that when she was getting her new teeth as a pup (also gave her chicken necks to slow her eating down .. until she swallowed one whole!! NO MORE CHICKEN NECKS!! SCARED THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS OUT OF ME WITH HER CHOKING ON IT!!

See what other DOLers have to say about the frozen idea ... I will be interested int he comments myself.

I have a friend who feed frozen chicken frames to her dobe - she has had no problems.

Don't do it myself, cos my sook doesn't like cold food :thumbsup:

my dog has been fed chicken frames for 14 years and she's still going strong. it was a lot of nonsense that pet shop person was sprouting. the life expectancy for her breed is about 12 years.

edited to say they were always frozen to stop her scoffing them and to help clean her teeth.

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

I also feed my guys frozen chicken frames. But I do sometimes put them in the water bowl LOL if for no other reason thean to slow the piggy from gutsing them down (he would have one gone in 5 min otherwise)

And I find he tends to leave them a little till they soften off a little.

LOL But I do know where you heard about you shouldnt feed them frozen LOL and it was directed at me at the time. Each to there own ;) :):rofl:

Cheers Janet

I have been thinking about this and I was wondering if some people feel a bone is more brittle being frozen - more likely to snap?

But as freezing doesn't change the structure of the bone, making it brittle like cooking it does, I still can't see that being a problem :laugh:

We have always fed Chicken frames.. I give them frozen in the hotter months and seems to help teething puppies.. Mine close there eyes and suck on them, helps sooth sore mouths..

I also feed my guys frozen chicken frames. But I do sometimes put them in the water bowl LOL if for no other reason thean to slow the piggy from gutsing them down (he would have one gone in 5 min otherwise)

And I find he tends to leave them a little till they soften off a little.

LOL But I do know where you heard about you shouldnt feed them frozen LOL and it was directed at me at the time. Each to there own :laugh::laugh::o

Cheers Janet

hahaha Janet you're correct there, about where I heard it... I feed Bruno frozen chicken frames so that ok then, I will continue...

I think it's possible that a build up of bone could lead to an impacted bowel but without a necropsy, you'd never know.

There must be thousands of dogs fed raw chicken bones regularly without ill effect - including mine.

I feed Bruno frozen chicken frames so that ok then, I will continue...

Hey, my dog's name is Bruno. :(

Great minds think alike...

Here he is. As you can see he's brown. Bruno is totally appropriate. :thumbsup:

Brunobalcony2.jpg

I then showed my age by saying "dont you remember they used to be on our 2 cent coin??" and got a blank stare with the 'we used to have a 2 cent coin?' look :thumbsup:

I remember them too :laugh: but its been so long I forgot what was on them :D

I feed Bruno frozen chicken frames so that ok then, I will continue...

Hey, my dog's name is Bruno. :laugh:

Great minds think alike...

Here he is. As you can see he's brown. Bruno is totally appropriate. :p

Brunobalcony2.jpg

How cute it he?