Training Dog To Run With Push Bike

Hi,

How do you train a dog to run with you on the pushy?

My only idea's are a few and I am shaw I am missing bits and probably wrong order.

1. Feed dog treats whilst I am sitting on bike and stationary.

2. Walk bike with dog next to bike and feed treats if you have 3 arms :laugh:

3. Do this until things are going smoothly then what???

Feel free to fill in the bits or throw it out the window :cheer:

ta

Start on lead without a bike. Teach "turn left" and "turn right" (I used the words "liberal" and "labour" for my turn commands). Teach "slow down" (I used the word "easy" for this.)

Then walk your dog out with a bike. If all ok, try it with you cycling the bike, but slowly. Give your dog sufficient warning that you're going to turn by giving the command a bit sooner than you otherwise might. Remember, the faster you go the more excited your dog might go, so take it steady.

I am assuming that your dog already knows not to pull on the lead.

With my avatar girl, I didn't bother with treats along the way. Just gave her quiet encouragement. She enjoyed the run in between, so that was enough for her, along with some praise here and there as deserved and when appropriate.

Edited by Erny

:laugh: I have a totally different way :cheer:

I just take them to a large area & ride slowly without a lead. It takes them about 2 minutes to learn that if they go in front of the bike I run into them! I also say "beep, beep" which means get out of my way at home, if they are in my way.

Once they have learnt to mind the bike I can put a lead on.

we have just started bike riding with our 10 month old shepherd - we bought a 'walkydog' bike thingo which friends have suggested from their personal experiences. This seems fantastic and appears to have a fair amount of success in terms of keeping her away from feet and wheels and reducing liklihood of bike being pulled by her, apart from the fact she still hasnt learnt to loose lead walk yet so unless pedalling really really fast she lunges and tries to choke herself :laugh: we have put it away until heel and loose lead training have succeeded.... i will be watching this thread though for tips and tricks - thanks! :laugh:

(disclaimer: being able to get the walkydog bike attachment through work at cost price was prob the only reason we went ahead and spent the money.. although work mates rave about it and their success with the product....)

*edit for being unable to spell*

Edited by Grey

I'm teaching my Aussie Shepherd to ride beside my bike to get ready for an ET.

We practise on a footpath which has a fence along one side of it.......house fences or a laneway with paling fences. Ride slowly with dog between the bike and the fence, don't give him much room. If he surges ahead, turn the front wheel to block him so he can't go any further. If you go slow enough, he won't run into the wheel and you won't hurt him, he'll just be blocked from pulling ahead.

I use the words "back" when I block him...."closer" when I want him right next to the bike (I also use this in obedience when I want a closer finish, so he knows that it means to get nearer to me.)

He gets treats AFTER the ride, not during....and now as soon as I stop the bike and get off he sits patiently waiting for me to produce the reward.

All our dogs have run with the bike. I never actually 'trained' them, but used more what I'd call common sense.

Firstly they need to understand certain commands, basic obedience. If they know heel, stop, sit, back etc. they will do these things willingly next to the bike.

Then they need to be old enough not to do any skeletal damage.

We would just ride around the house/garden etc. to get them used to being next to the bike off lead and on, and they love to be with you so stay close.

None of our dogs have had any issues about it and are very keen to get going. We use a loose lead on the left and ALWAYS keep the dogs on the inside.

My viz will go forever off lead and not deviate from the bike at all. (not on roads off lead)

The spin loves it too.

I've only had one accident when the viz stopped dead for the loo and I went flying, I should have been watching her signals, my fault!! Had tonnes of stitches :(

Bikes are a great way of giving dogs a decent run and they love it. :laugh:

Biking is one time I've never ever used treats. We, dogs too!!, have always treated bike rides as a very serious and focussed business. For them, the ride is a treat in itself. If they were to associate treats with the bike (mine are piggies!!) I think they would be much more focussed on when the treat is coming than the run itself. The last thing I'd need is them looking for a treat at an inappropriate time :laugh:

Trained my 2 BCs - aged 4 - for ET 3 years ago. My friend (also no longer young) and I had to remind ourselves how to ride first - on her flat driveway :laugh: . Then we did pretty much what Vickie says - riding in a safe place with dog off lead (one at a time for my dogs), then when we were happy with that, one dog at a time on lead, and in my case, then graduated to 2 dogs at a time. They worked out that one would be slightly ahead of the other, and slightly off to the side. Eventually I worked out that one would be on a slightly longer lead, and one would have her tracking harness on.

We didn't use an attachment, as for ET dogs have to be held with lead in hand on left side. They are allowed to run in harness or flat collar.

The only time I fell off was towards the end of the ET - done in foul weather - when Fergus got so wet he had a huge shake - I had to fall off to the side to avoid him - luckily it was a controlled fall, no damage - and we finished the ET. (My friend's husband was riding Kirra for me.

Oh - and no treats needed - or wanted, as it would tend to make them pay attention to me, rather than looking where they're going. :(

Tassie :laugh: I was never allowed a bike growing up, and cannot balance at all, had to learn in my 40's!!! and only under sufference as OH was working away and kids OS, so it was me or no one!!! Gave many people a good laugh though :(

I got my bike for Christmas but hadn't ridden one in 30 years. Gawd.....what a sight I was the first few days. I'd "hop" along to get started....but I could only start on a wide flat area so no good near my place as it's at the bottom of a hill! I'd have to walk to the top of the hill, then hop along til I got up enough speed to pedal without falling off.

Stopping was about as interesting as starting too. I couldn't use handbrakes cos I'd grown up with pedal brakes so I'd just put my feet on the ground. My runners have no soles left on them now.

I am much better now.

... the first few days. I'd "hop" along to get started....but I could only start on a wide flat area so no good near my place as it's at the bottom of a hill! I'd have to walk to the top of the hill, then hop along til I got up enough speed to pedal without falling off.

Stopping was about as interesting as starting too. I couldn't use handbrakes cos I'd grown up with pedal brakes so I'd just put my feet on the ground. My runners have no soles left on them now.

I was a bit the same when I first got back on a bike :rolleyes:, so refreshed my skills before going out with my dog. I held on to the lead with one hand so I could use it to guide my dog in the early days of bike running, so preferred the foot brake anyway :laugh:.