I Need Some Help, Please

Hi Dolers,

This is a very long story cut as short as i possibly can, so you dont have to read through a really long babbling story.

I am having a bit of trouble with my mothers mastiff, Chevy. She is desexed and about 5 years old. She has been barking at the next door neighbours fence for many months (we cant hear it as its across our paddock) and they have put in a couple of barking complaints (even though i asked them to tell me if she is barking so that i know and can try to do something about it) and now they have put in a complaint that she keeps going onto their property.

so one day i kept an eye out and watched and sure enough she was charging straight threw the fence next door.

So we built a pen to stop her from going next door, the pen is located on the other side of the property (where we are close to our neighbours) in between our house and the fence next door. now that neighbour has complained about her barking.

and she has also kept escaping from this pen, every time i find out where she has escaped she finds a new way out.

My mother has moved away to another state, and i dont want to have to get rid of Chevy, so i need to find away to contain her and shut her up as well.

i have found online the containment systems done by innotek, and other brands, does/has anyone had or used these before?? if so what are they like, do they work well, or is this going to an extreme that could be solved another way?? (Our property is a bit over half an acre)

Then i know they have a contain and train system, would they also have a contain and anti-bark system??

Or would i have to buy the two things separately??

My mum thinks i should go and set up an electric fence (as opposed to the E.collar system) as you can get dog electric fences, would this be a better option?? or would this be worse than the containment system?? My mum thinks this would be better for Chevy, cause she'll get one shock and never go near the fence again, so its pointless spending (wasting in her words) money that i dont have on an expensive containment system.

We are on our final straw (i think thats the saying) if this continues any longer the council will take control of the situation or we are going to have to get rid of her (which i really dont want to have to do).

So any help, opinions, suggestions, anything, would be of a great help.

Thanking everyone greatly in advance.

Jessca.

I would go for electric fence (ie as per what is used for livestock) and anti-bark stim collar. Definitely not two collars. I'd like to know if there is any affect by an electric fence current to an anti-bark stim collar first though. You might need to deal with one issue at a time, and IMO the containment issue is the most urgent. What is it that the dog is doing to be able to escape the run you made?

However, it is your judgment as to whether these will be suitable for your dog - something I can't advise without observing the dog.

If you go for the anti-bark stim collar, get one of good quality (rather than cheapest). As I've mentioned in another current thread on "barking", I prefer the styles where you can set the stim level to suit the dog, rather than the ones which escalate as the dog continues to bark.

You should check and be aware of your State Laws for each of the above first.

Also, before going for the anti-bark collar, I'd be wanting to know why the dog is barking so much in the first place so that the 'cause' can be removed. Not a lot of point using an aversive for barking if the reason for barking persists without address.

Edited by Erny

I would go for electric fence (ie as per what is used for livestock) and anti-bark stim collar. Definitely not two collars. I'd like to know if there is any affect by an electric fence current to an anti-bark stim collar first though. You might need to deal with one issue at a time, and IMO the containment issue is the most urgent. What is it that the dog is doing to be able to escape the run you made?

However, it is your judgment as to whether these will be suitable for your dog - something I can't advise without observing the dog.

If you go for the anti-bark stim collar, get one of good quality (rather than cheapest). As I've mentioned in another current thread on "barking", I prefer the styles where you can set the stim level to suit the dog, rather than the ones which escalate as the dog continues to bark.

You should check and be aware of your State Laws for each of the above first.

Also, before going for the anti-bark collar, I'd be wanting to know why the dog is barking so much in the first place so that the 'cause' can be removed. Not a lot of point using an aversive for barking if the reason for barking persists without address.

Thank you for your help :birthday:

I will contact innotek and and the containment system people and see what they have to say. i never thought of that, thank you.

She goes under the fence, or straight threw it (kind of charges at it then climbs over).

I live in victoria, so i will go have a look now.

We got Chevy when she was about 6 - 8 months old, so i dont know what happened to her before we got her. but she is very, i'll use the word, sensitive. She gets set off with every little noise or movement. as she cant see threw to the other side of the fence (there are cypress trees there) she can hear noises but cannot see them. and will react, by barking, then going threw the fence. This happens most nights when the neighbours come home and they make some noise or are talking.

What's her pen made of?

Can you whip up one made of chain link fencing? Concreate base. That's what my shep has.

Thank you for the suggestion, for both of your posts.

Thats what i wanted done, i gave my parents the measurements, and what i wanted. they said they'd make it. and when i came home from my partners house they had built the pen. its made out of the rectangle wire 1 or 2 inch squared. and is on gravel, that is quite set into the ground. and is in a totally different spot to where i wanted it (instead of in the middle of the property where the barking wouldnt bother the neighbours, and id hear them first, its right next to my neighbours)

i think with this bonus we're getting from the government i'll build another small "night-time" pen.

Jessca, you can purchase the electric fence unit from Bunnings or from this mob Thunderbird unit. You only need a 12v system with a 12v battery (battery you can buy from Super cheap Auto), that is plenty strong for a dog. You will also need the electric tape and a metal stake for earth. They also make a mains unit but if you don't have access to mains power outside, then the battery unit is sufficient.

Much cheaper than buying the containment system and works a treat.

Run two strips of it accross the fence, one lower (or at middle) and the other higher..he will try once and never again!!

Edited by Kelpie-i

If you're strapped for cash I could probably have a look and see if mine still works and post you it. It was in pretty bad condition last time I used it though, I had to replace a load of wiring inside the unit.

It's a 12v unit or can use a bunch of those D sized batteries.

Edited by Just Midol

Jessca, you can purchase the electric fence unit from Bunnings or from this mob Thunderbird unit. You only need a 12v system with a 12v battery (battery you can buy from Super cheap Auto), that is plenty strong for a dog. You will also need the electric tape and a metal stake for earth. They also make a mains unit but if you don't have access to mains power outside, then the battery unit is sufficient.

Much cheaper than buying the containment system and works a treat.

Run two strips of it accross the fence, one lower (or at middle) and the other higher..he will try once and never again!!

Thank you for that Kelpie-i, i will go down to bunnings and have a look.

If you're strapped for cash I could probably have a look and see if mine still works and post you it. It was in pretty bad condition last time I used it though, I had to replace a load of wiring inside the unit.

It's a 12v unit or can use a bunch of those D sized batteries.

Thank you very much for your offer :thumbsup:

hmmm would it be safe?? i am able to borrow some money (off a very kind friend) until i get the money from the government, so, thank you very much though, it might be safer for me to buy a new one. im not to good with electrical stuff. im great at pulling it apart, but not at putting it back together :):champagne:

Thank you again Erny, Midol and Kelpie-i :cheer: it is greatly appreciated.

OK...

What exercise does the dog get each day?

Is there anyone living at the house where the dog is?

Can the dog see out ,to the street or whatever?

Bones/Toys?/Pool?/digging spot? What does she have?

She gets walked daily.

i am the only person living here, so when im not home she is home alone. (by that i mean no people are home, she still has the other dogs.)

Yes she can see the street. all our fences are wire.

Many bones, lots of toys (although she does not play with them), if she wants to she can dig, she has her little sleeping spot that she likes to dig in.

She is also with my dobie boy, and they play constently. but the moment she hears a noise (i.e like i said before, when the neighbours come home) she is off like a rocket, barking and charging threw the fence.

ETA- i just sent an email to innotek, so it will be interesting to read their reply.

Edited by Jessca

I think you may need a good trainer or a behaviourist firts, Jesska.

It is all well&good putting up a physical barrier... but you may end up with a much noisier/frustrated/anxious dog if you have not tackled the CAUSE of the barking.

What is driving her?and HOW can you address the problem...

She gets set off with every little noise or movement. as she cant see threw to the other side of the fence (there are cypress trees there) she can hear noises but cannot see them. and will react, by barking, then going threw the fence.

Instead of spending a fortune on electrical help- try professional one-on -one help first :cool:

Instead of spending a fortune on electrical help- try professional one-on -one help first

Persephone, escaping/fence jumping is a highly self rewarding act. I wonder how you or any other trainer would be able to stop a dog from jumping a fence when the owner is not there by way of conventional training.

Edited by Kelpie-i

I wonder how you or any other trainer would be able to stop a dog from jumping a fence when the owner is not there by way of conventional training.

I don't think they can stop it dead-of course there needs to be physical restraint of some sort !

however, if it were my dog, I would love to know the 'whys' first- so I knew if I was going to subject the dog to anxiety-making methods, or if the dog's drive is such that it will NOT be deterred by the invisible containment system....or if there is something in the environment which may be changed slightly to allow for a more settled dog.... sorry- but I tend to look into things a bit much, perhaps...

don't think they can stop it dead-of course there needs to be physical restraint of some sort !

however, if it were my dog, I would love to know the 'whys' first- so I knew if I was going to subject the dog to anxiety-making methods, or if the dog's drive is such that it will NOT be deterred by the invisible containment system....or if there is something in the environment which may be changed slightly to allow for a more settled dog.... sorry- but I tend to look into things a bit much, perhaps...

There is nothing wrong with looking into the WHY's but the dog is jumping the fence due to a motivation on the other side that nobody is able to control. You cannot tell the neighbours not to come out of their home because it causes the dog to jump the fence.

The electric fence is not invisible, the white tape is clearly visible to the dog and once he has learned that the act of fence jumping is no longer rewarding, he will no longer try. You can then remove the unit and leave the tape in place as a visual.

I liken fence jumping to stock chasing in a way. There is a high level motivation behind the action.

Once Jessca deals with the fence jumping problem, which is a very real concern, she can work on the other things. As a trainer, I would be tackling this problem first and foremost which will save her dog's life. The other problems like the barking etc, you can deal with afterward.

If a dog is on someone elses property, they have the right to shoot it. No questions asked!

I second the electric fence as an option. My GSD was a shocking fence jumper, but only when I was home, never if i wasnt there. She would jump the fence to get to me if I left her in the yard and went to see the horses for example.

At wits end an electric fence system was installed with the white tape. She zapped herself once and never jumpled that fence again. If I needed to deter her from going over another fence a string of white tape is all it took. The unit was turned off on the second day with only the tape left up.

I will add the reason I needed to stop the fence jumping as when she found me the little bugger would then run of into the neighbours property. we were going through recall issues then

Good luck with sorting this problem out Jessca.

Edited by laeral