Fun Heeling Games

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too funny Ness - should be another great weekend :thumbsup:

OK - just did our normal training for dinner........for the first cup of food we did one of Ptolomy's exercises....the Hansel & Gretel game - inside in a small space using kibble but the concept still worked really well. Zig had a ball and, by the end of it, he was bolting back to the heel position. I even swapped directions on him occasionally just to liven things up - not sure if that is in the rule book but it was great fun! For the second cup of food we practised his retrieve which has finally sunk in after 3 months of clicker training. He was all over that so, after another break, we worked with a 3rd cup of food with leather and metal articles - just getting him to hold them at this stage. He's all tuckered out now, although he keeps trying to find the articles so he can wangle some more food out of me :laugh:

SD you can teach Kenzie to hold her metal since she seems to hate it :laugh::o :D :D .

Sue H told me I was naughty as well so not having a good night - she said she should whip my butt in to gear when she is over though :thumbsup: .

Edited by ness

SD you can teach Kenzie to hold her metal since she seems to hate it ;) :rofl::):rofl: .

You are naughty, you clicker train so get out your clicker and get her picking up anything and everything. I will help Sue whip your butt. :rolleyes: She doesn't hate it, you just haven't trained it.

SD you can teach Kenzie to hold her metal since she seems to hate it :):rofl::cry::cry: .

You are naughty, you clicker train so get out your clicker and get her picking up anything and everything. I will help Sue whip your butt. ;) She doesn't hate it, you just haven't trained it.

LMAO PAX :rofl:

Yep, I just kept hiding the metal object tonight and teasing him with it.....touched it with his nose...c/t....then he kept looking at.....carefully opened his mouth around it....click and jackpot :rolleyes:

Hmm PAX you don't have the whole story. I got her retrieving her metal article quite happy. In early January I was playing 2 toy using a rope toy and the metal article. Next thing I have a dog on three legs so I think she might have some how linked retrieving the article with pain - life is never easy. Not to mention she isn't really foodie either.

I had limited success setting both of the girls up in my room and handing them the metal article one after each other. I also did some dumbbell holding with Kenzie and when she was keen on the game I would throw in a metal article so she grabbed it without thinking.

ETA. I think Sue is going to help me put some training manners on my baby and make sure I am consistent with Ness :rolleyes: .

Edited by ness

...another heeling game, especially for crazy, tunnel dogs :laugh:

Do small spurts of heelwork then send to a tunnel, turn as dog exits tunnel and wait for them to resume heel position and either reward there or send to tunnel again and have a big party :rolleyes:

Hmmm interesting suggestion caffy. I worked out last night that Kenzie has decided running around traffic cones is self rewarding. I set the cones up to work on figure 8s in the yard she was heeling towards them and next thing she shot through to circle one. Never even considered that might enter her little mind at the time although I probably should have :rolleyes: . Not quite up to that level of distraction yet obviously.

Edited by ness

Hmmm interesting suggestion caffy. I worked out last night that Kenzie has decided running around traffic cones is self rewarding. I set the cones up to work on figure 8s in the yard she was heeling towards them and next thing she shot through to circle one. Never even considered that might enter her little mind at the time although I probably should have :laugh: . Not quite up to that level of distraction yet obviously.

..then you need to put the cones on cue.