Feeding Raw Fish

leo01

The only tin sardines that I can find at coles etc come from orverseas is this ok?? ( In that cat food section)

I buy sardines for my dog from the "human" tinned fish section, not cat food ones. I buy Coles/Safeway branded sardines. They probably come from overseas, but they're supposed to be OK for humans, so don't think there would be a problem with them.

I give my boys the Salmon heads as is from the seafood shop and they love them :laugh: When I buy whole small fish like sardines, whiting etc, I give them the whole fish as is from the seafood shop.

ETA - I give them the salmon heads or fresh small fish once a week.

Edited by labsrule

Yes well, after watching them pick the eyes and nose hairs out of pigs heads I figure fish tails are quite tame entertainment :D

:wave: I've seen pig heads for sale at the supermarket and I just can't quite screw up the courage to bring one home for the dogs! *grimaces at the thought of my dogs eating pig eyes!* I'm sure if I did buy one Luka would give it a good go but I'm sure Molly would be horrified! She's a bit of a princess when it comes to food. :laugh:

I love all the fishy ideas...I really had no idea what fish to feed beyond sardines. Off to the fish market this weekend I think. Maybe I'll even pick up something for myself! :o

Yes well, after watching them pick the eyes and nose hairs out of pigs heads I figure fish tails are quite tame entertainment :D

:wave: I've seen pig heads for sale at the supermarket and I just can't quite screw up the courage to bring one home for the dogs! *grimaces at the thought of my dogs eating pig eyes!* I'm sure if I did buy one Luka would give it a good go but I'm sure Molly would be horrified! She's a bit of a princess when it comes to food. :laugh:

I love all the fishy ideas...I really had no idea what fish to feed beyond sardines. Off to the fish market this weekend I think. Maybe I'll even pick up something for myself! :o

just for you!

P1010030.jpg

I have never given mine raw fish but have baked tons of flounder, spotted sea trout, mackeral, whiting, etc for them. I can't fish much any more, so do feed canned salmon or mackeral a couple of times a week.

At this moment I have a pot of "doggy stew" cookng in slow cooker--5 pounds of chicken thighs, 1 1/2 pounds of chicken gizzards cut up, 3 sweet potatoes sliced thin, a apples chopped and pound of frozen green bens. I often added yellow or green squash. Before losing Buck 2 years ago and KayCee a year ago, I had to make this about every 2 weks. Now, I only make it for Honey every 56 weeks or so

I do it in the slow cooker for 24 hours, and she gets some that night, and i put eough enough in jar in ref. for 4-5 nights Then I freeze the rest in freezer bags, enough in each one to last 4 nights. When one s finished, she gets canned fish for 2-3 night, and then I thaw another bag out and repeat. She gets about 3/4 cup of dry kibble in mornings, then another 3/4 cup plus 1/2 cup of the strew or fish at night. She is a 70 pound golden retriever mix.

Leo tried his first fresh fish yesterday, bits of salmon belly. Wasnt interested at all! He spat it out twice when i tired to give him a small peice and kept flicking his tonge (like a little kid does when they dont like the taste of something) LOL So after 20 min i picked most of it back out of his bowl and put a chicken merryland instead on top of the left over fish, and he ate it all! Left over fish and chicken. So next few times think I will just put 1/2 fish, half chicken till he gets used to it.

We feed our guys whole fish during the training/racing season and take them to races to give them as snacks (usually frozen). I can get 4kg of fresh sardines for usually around $20-22. If I run out of fresh fish, they get tinned sardines which we also use in warm water with electrolytes to bait our guys to drink so they keep hydrated when racing :rofl:

It used to be our little secret until everyone sussed out what we were doing :)