Barking/escaping When At Work

A friend has two JRTs pups of around 6 months (boy and girl siblings). He says that one of them is constantly barking when they're left outside. They are on a commercial VIP type diet. They're both desexed. They also escape into the neighbours yard (despite there being a new fence; he's unsure how they're getting out so I have some suggestions to fix that). They cannot see outside the fence but react to noise. He would like to address the cause behind the barking (the noise) rather than using an e-collar/citronella collar. They have not been to obedience training and are not crate trained and I have suggested both of these to him. Does anyone have any tips to address constant barking at noise?

Gee they took on a lot to get 2 at once, Sheridan (and then not take them to obedience classes). Mine are locked up when I'm not here because one in particular will bark at any bird that flies over 'his' backyard, and they all bark like mad at the bells on the cats next door - who love to walk up and down the fenceline.

For the escaping, what sort of fence? If they cant find where the little buggers have dug under it, they might actually be climbing it. They may need to invest in a good dog run. eta with a roof.

Edited by raz

I keep hammering the training. One side of the fence is colorbond. The rest is palings. He doesn't think they're digging but I've suggested the chicken wire L-shape solution at the bottom and fence extensions at the top. I think a run is a good idea for the escaping, although since they're renting putting in a concrete base is going to be out of the question.

His main concern is the barking, though, because he doesn't want complaints from the neighbours (particularly since they're renting). A run won't stop the barking. I can suggest a citronella collar as a short-term solution but it won't solve it long term and because they're JRTs and tend to rummage around in the garden, I have concerns about a collar catching on something.

I have concerns about a collar catching on something.

I agree. Dead dog in no time.

God the barking is a real issue, though. It wont stop the yaps everytime a bird or cat comes within earshot but do they have a clamshell full of sand with toys and treats shoved in it? Might help with the boredom during the day.

A good walk in the mornings to wear them out. Ok, they're jacks - they don't wear out :eek: And of course, the more exercise the fitter they get. But it's a good habit to get into anyway.

Leave the radio on for background noise. Treat balls as a meal replacement - same for a meaty bone to keep them busy, or kibble frozen in an ice-cream container of water - keeps them cool, takes longer to get through, and also keeps them hydrated.

Doggy day care if that's an option.

I have concerns about a collar catching on something.

I agree. Dead dog in no time.

God the barking is a real issue, though. It wont stop the yaps everytime a bird or cat comes within earshot but do they have a clamshell full of sand with toys and treats shoved in it? Might help with the boredom during the day.

There was mention of a sandpit, actually. He wondered whether he should have one to stop them digging in the pot plants. I pointed out at the time that he had to train them to use the sandpit in preference to the plants. I'll mention it again. Good idea.

A good walk in the mornings to wear them out. Ok, they're jacks - they don't wear out :eek: And of course, the more exercise the fitter they get. But it's a good habit to get into anyway.

Leave the radio on for background noise. Treat balls as a meal replacement - same for a meaty bone to keep them busy, or kibble frozen in an ice-cream container of water - keeps them cool, takes longer to get through, and also keeps them hydrated.

Doggy day care if that's an option.

I'll check if a radio is an option as they're outside during the day. I'll also suggest daycare as an option.

Keep 'em coming!

maybe he can create a run with concrete paver's instead of a concrete slab then it wouldn't be permanent.

he may have to spend time at home when the dogs don't know he is there to find out what the triggers are for the barking. he could then work on de-sensitizing them to the sounds.

To me it sound like the dogs need training and something to do during the day as it sounds as if they are bored. he may need to look at doggy day care one day the next day at home and keep doing this whilst he is training the dogs.

also, maybe they need to be able to see out of the yard so they know the noises are not threatening?

Sounds familiar this. I live next door to the JRT from hell, who barks non stop Monday to Friday. He has also escaped out of his yard into mine, which could be a big problem. This must be a breed that needs a lot of mental stimulation or can't cope on their own.

Edited by RottyLover01

maybe he can create a run with concrete paver's instead of a concrete slab then it wouldn't be permanent.

he may have to spend time at home when the dogs don't know he is there to find out what the triggers are for the barking. he could then work on de-sensitizing them to the sounds.

To me it sound like the dogs need training and something to do during the day as it sounds as if they are bored. he may need to look at doggy day care one day the next day at home and keep doing this whilst he is training the dogs.

also, maybe they need to be able to see out of the yard so they know the noises are not threatening?

It's any noise, he says, including birds.

It's any noise, he says, including birds.

ok then maybe they need a run with a solid roof, a place where they can rest and feel safe. maybe for stimulation some of the toys that hang and when the dog pulls they get food. he could also put in the run a clam shell with sand and one with water. he could hide treats in the sand as well. the dogs would then get most of their food by working for it.

he will really need to put a lot of time into training the dogs. he needs to take them for a run before he goes to work and this would tire them out a bit.

he could come home for lunch and walk them again. if he can't do that then he could employ a dog walker.

otherwise he could keep the dogs inside when he was at work.

he really needs to understand what sort of dogs he has and build into his life a way for them to become satisfied, which should stop the barking.

What mental stimulation does he provide for the dogs and in what quantities and frequencies?

What would you suggest for a JRT?

I just want to know what the dogs already receive, at this point. :thumbsup:

Easier than me spending the time listing only to find out it already occurs.

Edited by Erny