Diarrhea

One of mine has had diarrhea since about 1am Thursday morning (its friday night now). He normally doesn't want to go out in the middle of the night but did that night (wednesday night). So yesterday I cut his meals in half. Then on Thursday I came home to a runny poo inside. He then did another runny one in the middle of the night again. So I'm now feeding just plain boiled chicken breast (& a tiny bit a rice). No diarrhea during th day today, but a runny poo late this arvo again. He seems good in spirits and in every other respect OK.

What else can I do to get him right. Would you go to the vet yet. It doesn't seem worse, maybe slightly better.

Edited by chuckie500

Yes I would go to the Vet and soon. Dogs can dehydrate very quickly and IMHO if it hasn't cleared up within 24 hrs it needs to be investigated.

Try, if you can , to take a poop sample to the Vets and ask for a faecel float and analysis to be done.

He is 7 yrs. About 8.4kg. He is happy to eat and drink. I give him some of the chicken broth made from the chicken. I guess now i'll see how he is in the morning. if the stools are firm in the morning, i guess he is getting better. IF they r still runny, I'll see the vet.

well he was up again in the night and definitely not himself. A bit restless. So I'm waiting for the vets to open to get an appt for today. Thanks for your thoughts. Last time he had something similar it took about two days to clear and was right, but thus will be the third day now.

They can't fit me in till 6pm tonite. Should I buy the human gastrolyte (orange flavour) and give that to him? is it the same as what a vet would give? He went for walk this morning and was normal for that but it's no breakfast. He seems to want to eat grass too. Well it's going to be a long wait for me today. He just lying looking out the window at the moment, but that's normal for him.

yes i told them it has been a few days. They sounded busy and i guess i'm lucky the vet I go to stays open late. I admit he does seem in reasonable spirits. Still looking out the window at the cats and barking. So not overly lethargic. He just went outside again for the runs. not much left inside. Fart as well, which he normally doesn't so there's a bit of gas around. i might syringe a couple of mls of water every couple of hours to keep him drinking till 6pm tonite. He is barking now at the cats and running around to see them.

I imagine, no dinner tonite; gastroltye for dogs( what ever its called); and scoban will be whats on the cards.

And also a special thank u to Inspector Rex over the years. If have help me a lot. He has had allergies too and you gave me great advice then too.

Well. I have been to the vet now.

She said there it wasn't really sore which is good, but sounds quite gases. I'm not to feed him till tomorrow morning. His hydration is OK, but I asked for the Lectade anyways. She said it would be good and would cause no harm (for my other dog).

He is on metronidazole just in case (200mg twice a day), I read it was used to treat Gardiasis (sp?), and is on tablets called Direa for a couple of days.

He loves to drink the Lectade. Seems happy enough. I hope it going to be a peaceful night.