Lightroom Vs Photoshop

redangel

Can anyone explain to me the difference between lightroom and photoshop. Do these programs compliment each other orare they two seperate editing programs? How do they rate as editing programs? At present I use Paintshop Pro2 but I am considering purchasing another program. Thanks

Edited by redangel

Hi-

Lightroom and photoshop are for different things..

They both can adjust lighting, contrast, both have 'curves', etc.

However, photoshop then has the tools to clone, cut, layer...and add all the fun stuff :rofl:

Lightroom is like the old 'darkroom' ,used for developing film. In there, one can make the colour/exposure perfect, one can crop, and adjust highlights etc.

What I love is the split screen, the before & after comparisons... and the easy-to- use options.

This 'perfect' image can then be put into photoshop for whatever else you want to do!

Sorry if I have not explained it well, or have left stuff out...

Oh- and I use an older version of THIS

... I quite like the way it works!

I don't do a lot of editing.... but tend to use LR more than PS.

Photoshop I use more for creating digital scenes.... for imaginary things.... I find it a scary program to use..makes me confused. :drink:

(I am very spoiled... have LR, PS2, PhotoImpact oh.. and paint.net. :champagne: all as gifts!)

Edited by persephone

Guest Tess32

I use them to compliment each other and they work well that way - you can right click on an image you are editing in lightroom and choose 'edit in photoshop' (if installed obviously) and it will save it automatically in lightroom - perfect!

If you only do basic editing like level adjustments, lightroom is all you would need. If you also work with layers and more complicated stuff, then both are great to have.

Lightroom is mostly used to catalogue images, so that is it's main purpose. Photoshop is for editing only.