Increasing Drive

DD: To enhance drive to an even higher level, I put my dog on a tie out using a long lead and harness tied to an old bike tube, and give her the "ok" command, but keep the tuggie just out of her reach,..... only letting her get it on around her 3rd or 4th maximum effort. This type of work greatly improves her drive and grip on the tuggie.

K9: Agree too, number one drive building tool is frustration, so it needs to be part of every development session if you want to increase drive.

K: I am finding that foundation work is very important :o Certainly putting in the hard work at the beginning pays off later on.

K9: It sure does as is having a goal before you start, many people with dogs that have great drive cant utilise drive as their early training ideals have taught the dog to stay out of drive around the Alpha, this can be tough to break the dog out of.

In our Training in drive training courses dogs being too well behaved around the Alpha is number one problem.

K9: It sure does as is having a goal before you start, many people with dogs that have great drive cant utilise drive as their early training ideals have taught the dog to stay out of drive around the Alpha, this can be tough to break the dog out of.

In our Training in drive training courses dogs being too well behaved around the Alpha is number one problem.

Glad you wrote this bit as I wanted to say it but hate writing about drive in case you are lurking and I say it wrong :o .

I prefer to gain the toy back by making it (the prey) go dead. Then the millisecond that the dog opens its mouth I give release command & move the toy again.

teach thst if you give me back the toy I will make it live again. For dogs that already have a very high value for the item or have developed a conflistc of hwo toy it is, I have a leash technique that helps them out the toy without corrections.

I like this idea!! Funny though....My cat has enough brains to relise this...yes she retrieves!!!! I throw the toy she brings it back and i giggle it around and throw it again....this lasts for ages!!...HOWEVER....my dog wont do this!?!?!? :thumbsup:

Edited by Heidii

This has been an interesting topic.

My girl has drive to burn, despite doing some of the most awful things to her in the name of 'training' early on she has never shut down and now will literally run herself into the ground if she is allowed. We don't really work improving on her drive. :(

My boy is a much softer dog to begin with, but does have quite a high prey drive. Only thing is we spent the first 15 months of his life telling him no and slowing him down after he broke his elbow and took what seemed like forever to recover. Now (at 2.5 years) we are still building his confidence back - he still needs to be 100% sure that he isn't going to get in trouble for getting excited. Basically everything in his life is a game and he has to work for every thing he gets. His confidence is increasing by the week at the moment and he's bouncing all over the shop every time he comes out of his crate at training.

There are no toys left in the yard during the day and all reinforcement comes from me. (or OH at flyball) Any interaction between us has to be exciting and fast paced (yes, tiring , but very rewarding).

It's only been in the last 3 months that he's REALLY started to come alive. Another 6 or 12 months and I have a feeling I'll be wishing I hadn't done so much work with him, but to quote a well known agility instructor 'you get the dog you need'.

'you get the dog you need' I like this! :(

When I first came to DOL it was all drive this and that. I didn't have drive so I went to one of K9 Force's clinics. Brock was one of the dogs that knew I was the alpha and was too polite to be taking the tug off me. I was a bit freaked out at first but it made me think about what I wanted. I don't want a mad border collie that bolts around spinning in circles barking! I want them to be very well behaved. I certainly don't think that it has hindered their obedience work. They might not be as flashy as some but they are pretty steady and rarely stuff up.

Brock's slowness in agility has helped me to learn the handling side of it. He gives me time to get into position. And his speed is increasing as he gets more confident.

I am not saying that you shouldn't try to increase drive but think you should also look at the dog as an individual and not be upset if they aren't acting the same. Part of the fun of dog training is trying lots of different things and working out what works for your dog.

H: I like this idea!! Funny though....My cat has enough brains to relise this...yes she retrieves!!!! I throw the toy she brings it back and i giggle it around and throw it again....this lasts for ages!!...HOWEVER....my dog wont do this!?!?!?

K9: I have always found that having the dog retrieve the reward isn't the best idea. It creates a number of problems that will need to be over come.

I teach people to train the dog to value the toy & then teach the dog to bring me something to buy the toy.

R: My boy is a much softer dog to begin with, but does have quite a high prey drive. Only thing is we spent the first 15 months of his life telling him no and slowing him down after he broke his elbow and took what seemed like forever to recover. Now (at 2.5 years) we are still building his confidence back - he still needs to be 100% sure that he isn't going to get in trouble for getting excited. Basically everything in his life is a game and he has to work for every thing he gets. His confidence is increasing by the week at the moment and he's bouncing all over the shop every time he comes out of his crate at training.

K9: Not for the same reasons but many people face this same problem, they train manners into their dog & later on decide to give training in drive a shot, but the previous training has built in a reluctance to go into drive in there presence.

It can be a b it of work but usually can be overcome to a degree.

Lily redirected her aggression at me when I teased her with the cat :laugh: She had her head through a hole in the cat climbing tower thing and I was being the awesome owner I am and dangling the cats tail just out of reach and she was nipping wildly at the air and then just turned and nipped my arm!

She snapped out of it immediately though.

Lesson learnt: Do not use Birmans as toys.

(This was a few weeks back, I've now taught Lily that cats are enemies, but not mortal enemies.)