How Do You Archive Your Prints?

Guest Tess32

Guest Tess32

I really want to start printing all my best photos and I came across this -

https://www.shoptheartstore.com/product_det...2&showNav=0

and now I reaaaaaaaaaaaally want it. Trouble is, the shipping from the US costs $100....:party:

How does everyone else do it? I don't really want to keep them in a box because if I want to show people, I want it to be easy to flick through. I also find dry mount albums really annoying.

Any ideas?

Maybe I should just splurge :mad

Shipping is stupidly expensive. I'm betting you can find the same thing here - contact your local arts council or the uni arts department coz all their students are going to have things like this.

I don't archive prints. Heck, I hardly ever print anything for myself. When I do I either get the el cheapos coz I know family/friends are just going to toss them in a box (or the bin after a few months of not looking at them after they open the envelope) or cheap album or I get the high quality ones that I know will last for 50 years if it's something I want to show or know people will display.

For most day to day stuff, the cheaper prints are just fine...I think of these kinds of prints as temporary and I can always reprint.

If you have high quality prints, splurging on an archive friendly display book seems like a good idea :mad

segue - does anyone else hate "leatherette"? I saw the most ridiculous thing the other day..."animal friendly leather" - which is leatherette with a fancy name LOL

segue - does anyone else hate "leatherette"? I saw the most ridiculous thing the other day..."animal friendly leather" - which is leatherette with a fancy name LOL

Just call it Plether and be done with it :mad

Guest Tess32

Nah bugger it, I'm gonna buy it when I get paid next month, hehe.

I really love printing my prints, tis fun.

Me - I stick to A4 display books at the moment. Much easier to transport, slip inside a laptop bag,

suitcase, weekender etc. I get prints done periodically and just slip them into those if need be.

Also I don't do any of my own colour printing, Id rather pay a bit extra and have a lab do them.

I really want to start printing all my best photos ....

What, all of the best???? Hundreds+??? Or just a strict selection of the best of the best.

I haven't bought any of those flash ones, sound very nice though. I use good quality scrapbooking albums, they have the you-beaut polyproppy acid free crystal-clear pockets, 12x12, and to show off a smaller print, just put it onto a plain sheet of scrapbooking paper to set it off. Or print 'large' thumbnails to include a few on a page. Then you can do a few digital scrap-book pages with montages or a bit of text or bling for people who like that. I blow hot and cold over montages, love them one day, bleergh the next. Good to have some to show though.

I still get everything we print for ourselves (not that we do much, just a couple of display books) done at Camera House.

For showing card samples (we design invitations etc. often with a photo print as part of it) we still use the scrapbook albums, but in the 8x8 size. They're good for RedBubble style of cards too.

I'd like to get some photo-books printed: there were some classy ones showing at the recent Stitches and Craft exhibition at the Showgrounds. I'd like to know if anyone has done this who they have used: Camera House and Rabbit Photo have basic ones; Mac does a slightly nicer book, there must be others around (not Wedding Albums, didn't want to go the $1000 route).

I have not gone the "classy" route with the photo books yet but got a bunch of smaller ones made

as Christmas gifts. Soft covered, 8x8 inches. As there was a glitch with the text printing on a couple

pages I got them for free. Still were well received gifts. I would like to get some larger hard cover

ones done at some stage. Was it Momento that had the samples at that photography trade show, PC?

I just had a sample hard cover 8x8 book done by Clickonprint.com.au and it has turned out very nicely. The colours are true, the pages feel pretty good in your hand and you can have a photo cover. The binding isn't zillion dollar good, but for this price range and the intent, I think it's a good book. It's the first book like this I've had printed by an Australian company so I'm still looking around at other options but haven't gotten organized enough to send anything off for a test print LOL

My own wedding album is a Momento. It's fine. Nothing outstanding but solidly done. The prints lack a certain something, but that very well could be due to my photographer's pp and/or paper choices. I haven't looked in to Momento's offerings for about a year now. At that time I decided that they were too expensive for what you got, but things may have changed.

I'll be posting some photos on my blog hopefully later today or this weekend.

Guest Tess32

Ooh thanks, that shipping might work out cheaper.

PC, where do you get the scrapbooking ones from?

I only know of one arty shop near me so I might see what they have.

I want something that is easy to flick through but you can see the prints well.

The main problem with the ones I listed is that it will only take 48, so I can't keep adding to it :( So maybe a binder is a better way or something refillable.

I originally did a dry mount album but I just don't like the way it looks, is just a normal album. Too big too.

I also print either at 8 x 10 or 8 x 12, so need both sizes...hehe.

And I use digital works for everything, I love them.

Me - I stick to A4 display books at the moment. Much easier to transport, slip inside a laptop bag,

suitcase, weekender etc. I get prints done periodically and just slip them into those if need be.

Also I don't do any of my own colour printing, Id rather pay a bit extra and have a lab do them.

Agreed - printer at home is simply to check but proper prints are always done via the lab. And would never ever sell ones that I printed out at home.

Guest Tess32

I found cheaper shipping, $50...so I am going to get two of the pro display books for my top 100 shots, and then buy a binder and archival sheets from Aus for the other few hundred I want to print :coffee:

Does anyone have those Spider monitor calibration things? Or should I just do what I normally do and email them to someone and say, "How does this appear on your screen?" :thumbsup:

I want to print a few photos and I've tried the Adobe calibration thing that PS has (which isn't very concise IMO) but for a print for my mother, I want to blow it up to just under A3 size and frame it. Maybe I'll do a smaller test print at Hardly Normal - I've heard their printing is ok. I hardly print anything, I've had a b/w A4 sized print done there and it appeared good quality, nice tonal range. Also a couple of dog shots looked good when printed out there. Maybe my monitor is ok after all, it's a Dell and only a year old. Or should I join redbubble (already bought off them so I have an account) and use them to print it out if people think their printing is ok?

One more question, can they handle Adobe 1998 colourspace or should I whack it back to SRGB? Are 16 bits better than 8 bits?

Sorry for thread highjack, I'm still talking printing I hope.

Guest Tess32

Redbubble don't do normal 'prints' so I wouldn't use them for that kind of thing. They sell framed, matted, laminated etc, but not plain prints.

Yes, get Spyder (or your calibration tool of choice) ... it's amazing the difference it makes! Your life will get easier with calibrated monitors :rofl:

My prints go out in sRGB.

I use snapfish.com.au for fun stuff - always get spot on colour and my toned and bw prints look very nice, too.