Can A Dog Be Taught To Sumersault?

Pukipoms

My ACD was a wonderful trick dog and she would do a back flip - not quite straight back but over one shoulder if that makes sense. She was amazing - very agile and hyperactive and the trick just stemmed from her getting excited and throwing herself around.....she was on TV for it and the Perth radio stations were asking if anyone had seen the Cattle Dog that had overdosed on red cordial on the weekend :thumbsup:

If it can how on earth is it done.

? :thumbsup:

I have seen a dog on tv do one, but i was sure it was accidental, and the dog used a wall

Do you mean in the air or arse over head when you say summersault? If you go to Youtube and put Jay Sisler in the search engine you will see a fantastic example of a dog summersaulting (Greyhound) as well as other neat tricks. After watching this video I decided to teach summersaulting to my Australian Shepherd girl who picked it up in the first lesson although it isn't to the Greyhounds standard yet as she has only been doing it for a week. She probabaly had a headstart on most dogs though as she already knows handstands and tuck your head in. If you decide to teach your dog it be very careful as it would be very easy to cause serious injury if not careful.

If its bouncing of the walls and doing an air summersault there is a very real risk of serious spinal injury so its not a trick I recommend teaching unless you want to pay big$ to your vet or worse. While it looks impressive and is easy to teach its really not worth the risk to your dogs well being.

• 2 weeks later...
If its bouncing of the walls and doing an air summersault there is a very real risk of serious spinal injury so its not a trick I recommend teaching unless you want to pay big$ to your vet or worse. While it looks impressive and is easy to teach its really not worth the risk to your dogs well being.

Okay, after seeing some of the videos posted I take back what I said, some dogs can definaitly handle it, without spinal injury from twists, perhaps some body types would be more suited than others. Very impressive.