Sentinal Spectrum

I think I read on here somewhere that the monthly heartworm tablets/chewables say to give them every month but it actually covers the dog for 6 weeks - is that right? So if I am giving my dog Sentinal Spectrum that includes heartworm, regular worming and flea control, would I be able to give this every 6 weeks too instead of every 4?

With 2 large dogs on a single income, every penny saved where safe to do so would be a great help! But I obviously would like to know if it is safe to do every 6 weeks or not, cos if it's not, then I will be sure to give it every 4!

Thanks! :laugh:

No every 4 weeks. You could always go up a tablet size, and halve it? Off label, but so is giving it once every 6 weeks.

-WithEverythingIAm

My vet recommended splitting a larger sized tablet between my 2 dogs. The heartworm protection component of the tablet is less weight specific than the general worming component.

There are many sources which advise that products like Sentinel Spectrum / Interceptor Spectrum are effective for at least 45 days according to the FDA registrations.

Here's an article from Whole Dog Journal http://www.dogaware.com/wdjheartwormprevention.html

Do you need to treat for fleas? Interceptor Spectrum is the same as Sentinel Spectrum except for Lufenuron. According to the attached article:

Lufenuron is a medication that acts to prevent fleas from reproducing; it's not a pesticide and does not kill fleas or keep them from biting your dog.

Unless you're in flea prone area you might be better using Interceptor and just treat the fleas if your dogs ever get them. It's one less chemical for your dogs and Inteceptor is less than half the price of Sentinel so it will also save you a LOT of money. A cheap source is http://www.pricelesspets.com.au/.

Then just have some diatomaceous earth and a good flea shampoo and comb on hand to treat fleas if you ever get them.

I take care of the fleas if I need to and that is a rare occurance

there is a heartworm tablet that is cheaper, i know some people on here bought them in bulk but I cant remember what they were - wormers you just get every 3 months

I know how you feel, try 3 plus other animals on a single income :)

Edited by Nekhbet

Thanks guys, I will probably just stick to the recommended 30 days, then :rofl:

My dogs have never had fleas but I was scared to drop flea treatment in case they then got them... I have bought a year's supply already so once I run out I might just change over to the cheaper one without the flea treatment. That should save me $100 a year for both dogs :)

Nekhbet, I think I know the cheaper one you're talking about, is it Valuheart? A year's supply is only $30! :rofl: I went for Sentinal for ease of the all in one, cos I'm terrible with remembering to give all the tablets! :hitself: