How Is Everyone's Weaving Going?

ah well we have had a lack of weave work the last few nites.. stupid work..

But I started training for a straight entry requiring a 180 turn though.. Ill try and make it make sense

I had my 12 poles set up and running parelle about 3 m away were our 3 jumps so I had him do the 3 jumps and turn into the weavers but how Im training is to teach jock to do a 180 degree turn before hand..

so we have 3 jumps then a lone pole/flowerpot as a marker for him to turn around to then come straight into his weaves.. we're getting there.. the entries were better its just pole number 2 that is the issue.. but practice makes perfect!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it was going sooo well! Has all turned to crap later this week. I think the problem is that Poppy knows that the rewards are coming from me and even through the rewards are thrown down the reward line she is hesitating and not driving through as she doesn't want to go too far from me.

Ideas?

Well it was going sooo well! Has all turned to crap later this week. I think the problem is that Poppy knows that the rewards are coming from me and even through the rewards are thrown down the reward line she is hesitating and not driving through as she doesn't want to go too far from me.

Ideas?

Have you done SG Crate Games and established some forward drive in your dog?

Or maybe do the send to the table as I suggested in another thread or send to bait plates to get your dog driving forward.

I have no forward drive! I have broken border collies! They do very good tight turns though.

Even a bait plate doesn't encourage fast forward movement, just means that they might get there in the end.

They are related btw and the siblings that I know are also quiet, well behaved dogs and by the sounds of it dad is a quiet dog too. Make great pets!

I have no forward drive! I have broken border collies! They do very good tight turns though.

Even a bait plate doesn't encourage fast forward movement, just means that they might get there in the end.

They are related btw and the siblings that I know are also quiet, well behaved dogs and by the sounds of it dad is a quiet dog too. Make great pets!

Can you send them around cones?

Hey JulesP

when you were at the 2 pole stage did you practise with distance there as well... if the dog has enough value for the poles they should drive to them quickly...

What are you using as the reward??? How would you rate it on your dogs hierachy of rewards??? ie is it the most valued toy to the dog...

Kavik- your weaving looks great well done :thumbsup:

I have been teaching my young dog Focus to weave the past couple weeks.. he will be the third dog i have taught with the 2x2 method... he has good speed and is driving nicely through 6 poles... with great entries, better than my old dog Buddy will ever get... also retrained my nutcase(Coco- who was taught with 2x2 but i lacked teaching the entries) on her entries and they have also approved outta sight...

just a bugga about the rain we have had otherwise he would be up to 12 poles by now...

The only problem I am facing, thats a worry to me at the moment is sometimes he isnt as fast as I'd like him to be. He is only quick the first 2 times I do it, if I try it again he slows down. Dont realy know how to fix this?

Hey Heidii

watched your clips... he seems much better when he is not sequencing obstacles...

How highly valuing is the reward he is getting??? If he is fast only 2 times then only do it twice before stopping.. leaving him wanting more... If yhe can do it fast twice for 5-6 sessions then add a third time in and see how he goes.. if he does it fast STOP don't go for the one more just to see... Stop and keep him wanting more...

We all have bad habits of doing way too much...

I would also not be asking him to sequence the poles until he is doing 12 poles at a level where you like it.. ie... if you want him to do 12 poles quick then don't sequence them until he can... i would still be using one jump to practise his entries just not doing full sequences...

She is driving into the first set of poles quite nicely but is then putting the brakes on. If I move and support her, then she keeps going. Was ok with 4 poles but now I am at 6 the distance from me is too great for her.

She doesn't really value toys, not as bad as her brother but not a crazy toy dog. Not that crazy about food, as in works for it but not in a nutty way. We do food refusal very easily in obedience.

She is driving into the first set of poles quite nicely but is then putting the brakes on. If I move and support her, then she keeps going. Was ok with 4 poles but now I am at 6 the distance from me is too great for her.

She doesn't really value toys, not as bad as her brother but not a crazy toy dog. Not that crazy about food, as in works for it but not in a nutty way. We do food refusal very easily in obedience.

Ok so you might need to go back to 4 poles for a couple of sessions and work on sending her through with you standing still... this would be done easily if you can find something/anything she values.. doesn't have to be a toy or food... is there anything that she interacts with or gets a bit excited about...

Or just continuing supporting her until she gains a bit of confidence and it clicks to her.. you will know when that happens... and then you may be able to be less supporting...

if you tied a chicken neck on a piece of string threw it on the ground in front of her and pulled it away from her would she chase it???

http://susangarrett.wordpress.com/2009/01/...-motivated-dog/

This may help.

Thanks Caffy. Will have a look now.

She does play but not in a super enthusiastic manner.

Watched a good sending game on Moe Strenfel's Foundation Training vid that I will work on.

The work on the entry into the poles gave me a nice angled entry into a tunnel tonight, so that was good.

She was a crack up on the seesaw too (have just started on all the equipment), it has like she was trying to make as much noise as possible. :cry:

Hows everybody's weaving coming - I am somewhere between 4 poles and 6 poles. Seem to have hit a stationary point at the moment. She drives 6 poles nicely on the left from high on the arc entries but on the right decides she will either hit the entry and stop or drive the first 4 and then stop. Doesn't matter if poles 5 and 6 are fully rotated open or in a straightline the end result is the same.

I have 12 poles up slightly open. I am having to move with her. She is getting some quite good angles into the weaves and I can move about 2 meters laterally from her. Can call through from about half way down.

Today she showed signs of wanting to move a bit through the weaves which was nice.

I guess I have moved to a more channel method. She has progressed faster than Brock. Interestingly I think Brock made less mistakes with entries. Brock knew quite early on which side he had to enter from. Poppy appears to have less understanding of this.

Sending from angles did help with sending to tunnels on funny angles.

after about 18 short sessions, over the last 4 1/2 weeeks... we have 12 poles(competition regulation), :hug::) good footwork and speed, awesome entries, sequencing with jumps and tunnels in a speed circle... :hug: ...

tried them out at a friends on the weekend and was great, FC into weaves, FC out of weaves, RC into weaves...

just want to proof them at various locations and i will be happy... wish i had a video camera

Slight thread hijack - what age does everyone start training weavers? Both my dogs didnt start weaving until they were about 18mnths to 2 years when I started training everything else. Wondering if with next dog I can start a bit earlier... what age is recommended to avoid joint injury?

Slight thread hijack - what age does everyone start training weavers? Both my dogs didnt start weaving until they were about 18mnths to 2 years when I started training everything else. Wondering if with next dog I can start a bit earlier... what age is recommended to avoid joint injury?

Sandra Hassett (Chiropractic Vet) recommends not before 12 months of age Sarah. :wave: