What's Wrong With My Puppy's Foot?

ksmith

Hi!

Just wondering whether anyone might have any ideas about my puppy's foot - she is an eight-and-a-half week old boxer. Today I noticed that her front right foot seems to look a little twisted, like it is rolling over a bit with the outside of her foot taking the most weight.

She is otherwise fine - happily running around and not favouring one leg over the other. I have been watching her like a hawk since we got her last week and has not suffered any injuries or falls. :laugh:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, here's a pic, sorry I'm not a great photographer and I only have my phone so it's not very clear. Hopefully you can see what I mean.

I am seeing the vet tomorrow, but patience isn't my strong point :laugh: .

(hope the pic works, I haven't tried this before)

post-28523-1240467949_thumb.jpg

Possibly knuckling.

Exaclty what are you feeding and how much?

Knuckling can occur due to diet and to much food being fed.

Knuckling

Before I posted I looked through the forums and noticed that article...I wonder if that is what it is?

When we got her she was quite scrawny so the vet said feed her four meals a day, which we have been doing.

She has soaked Artemis and raw chicken mince for breakfast which mixes up to the size of about a small apple. Then two scrambled eggs for lunch. More Artemis and a bit of BARF pattie for dinner, again mixing up to about the size of a small apple. Then about a dozen bits of soaked a little Artemis and a dollop of natural yoghurt for supper. Is that too much?

Knuckling over.....cut back on her food for a while and it should go.

I would cut out the eggs and only feed mince with bone in it. You need to see a vet but my initial reaction to the diet is that the calcium/phosphorus ratio is out of whack and it may be too high in protein. That, however is a lay persons opinion and you need a professional one.

Frankly, if you're feeding a decent kibble, it may be safer to stick to that for a while. An adult, rather than a puppy one may be the go.

I'm feeding her Artemis medium/large breed puppy formula. I read the back of the pack and it doesn't say chicken bones. But the BARF patties have ground up chicken bones in them.

I will try cutting back on her food a little and see if it helps. Maybe I should cut out one meal...is that what you would suggest?

I'm feeding her Artemis medium/large breed puppy formula. I read the back of the pack and it doesn't say chicken bones. But the BARF patties have ground up chicken bones in them.

I will try cutting back on her food a little and see if it helps. Maybe I should cut out one meal...is that what you would suggest?

Does the mince have bone in it? If not, don't feed it. You need chicken pet mince which is ground up carcasses.. or better still the whole ones.

Does the mince have bone in it? If not, don't feed it. You need chicken pet mince which is ground up carcasses.. or better still the whole ones.

The chicken mince doesn't have bone in it. I am quickly learning perhaps my desire to get her a yummy human-worthy diet is probably not the best thing for her. Thanks, you guys are such a fantastic help - such speedy responses and great advice :laugh:

She has soaked Artemis and raw chicken mince for breakfast which mixes up to the size of about a small apple. Then two scrambled eggs for lunch. More Artemis and a bit of BARF pattie for dinner, again mixing up to about the size of a small apple. Then about a dozen bits of soaked a little Artemis and a dollop of natural yoghurt for supper. Is that too much?

Sounds like to much food is quite possibly the problem.

How much does she weigh?

If you were feeding a totally BARF/RAW diet then you should only be feeding 10% of her body weigh daily. You should be weighing her every few days to make sure you adjust the food amount.

Definitely agree about talking to her breeder.

You've got a Boxer.. they aren't renowned for being picky. I'd be sticking to a simple diet without extras while she grows. Kibble and meat on the bone or a carefully researched raw diet is the go. :laugh:

Definitely agree about talking to her breeder.

You've got a Boxer.. they aren't renowned for being picky. I'd be sticking to a simple diet without extras while she grows. Kibble and meat on the bone or a carefully researched raw diet is the go. :laugh:

I agree with PF :laugh:

Artemis is great food so I would stick to it. I would only add raw meaty bones (like chickens/turkey wings, roo tails. I would get rid of anything else; maybe except of BARF patties. I would probably keep these, but I would make sure I am not feeding too much of anything.

Sounds like to much food is quite possibly the problem.

How much does she weigh?

If you were feeding a totally BARF/RAW diet then you should only be feeding 10% of her body weigh daily. You should be weighing her every few days to make sure you adjust the food amount.

She's 4 kgs. Yes I probably am feeding her too much - she was so scrawny when we got her that I went straight into fattening up mode. She certainly looks better now, but I think I'll cut back now.

Also regarding the breeder, she was feeding supercoat, which I haven't heard great stuff about. I guess that's why I'm not jumping at the thought of ringing the breeder for feeding advice. That's not to say she isn't a great breeder - she is - I just thought I could do better than supercoat. I think I'll stick with the Artemis, and some BARF patties, just lesser quantities.

She's 4 kgs. Yes I probably am feeding her too much - she was so scrawny when we got her that I went straight into fattening up mode. She certainly looks better now, but I think I'll cut back now.

Ok 4kg would be 400grams of food a day,at 10% of body weight, if feeding BARF. Usually split up into 3 meals.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Diet Suggestion-

Because you are feeding dry I would work out how much should be fed for her weight, look on the packet, and then only feed 1/3 of that a day. Your other 2/3rds of food will be made up of a Raw Meaty Bone (lamb flaps or necks) and BARF patty.

Breakfast -

Dry food (1/3 of what is suggested for her weight)

Lunch -

Raw meaty bone (approx 150grams)

Dinner - 150grams of Barf Patty (1/3 of 400grams)

The tiny rescue pups, Pippy & Poppy, that I raised were fed

Breakfast & Dinner-

minced chicken carcuss mixed with veggie slops and yoghurt

Lunch -

Raw meaty lamb bone