Anal Gland Operation

Just wondering if anyone has any experience in their dog or know of a dog that had surgery on its anal gland to fix constant problems. What sort of costs can be expected, what was the surgery and did it fix the problem?

Thanks

Dont remember the cost involved from my vet nursing days, but i do remember we use to remove the anal glands of pets (not just dogs) who had issues on a regular basis. Once they are gone= No more problems. :thumbsup:

My little chihuahua had dreadful problems with anal gland abscesses. He would spend a month on antibiotics and then a week after stopping, back they would come. He was miserable andsick and losing condition so after about 4 months of this he had both of them removed. Apart from having to wear an ellizabethan collar for a while he was fine after surgery. No problems at all since either. They do tell you how there is a risk of incontinence etc but he has had no problems. The downside is that it was not cheap. That tiny little scrap of a dog's bottom cost me over $600 to fix.

My son's dog Sooty used to have recurrent problems with one of her anal glands. She had antibiotic treatment but after a few months it would be back. She would get a hard lump on the outside. The last time the vet thought it was cancer & wanted to do a biopsy b4 removing it. She was put on another course of antibiotics to see if it improved. Luckily it did & we saved the cost of the biopsy & just had the anal gland removed. She hasn't had any more problems. It cost around the $600 mark & was a couple of years ago. The vet told us about the possibility of incontinance but as she was only having one removed it shouldn't be a problem, which it wasn't.