Very Old Dog And Moving House?

I have spoken before about my Jack Russell, Rocky having Dementia. I tried him (and he is still on it) Hills Science BD, which seemed to have some benefits for a short period of time. But now he has declined significantly.The Vet said that Hills Brain Food had the same active ingredient as the medication suggested for Doggy Dementia.. He is now coming up for 17 years old, he is totally tunnel vision blind and has slight periferal vision and is deaf to the point of having to really shout or clap yours hands to make him realise that someone is there. When you put your hand out he can see the silouette and comes over to smell it before allowing you to pet him, so he knows who it is. When I come home and he has been on his own, if he is not asleep, 9 out of 10 times he doesn't realise that I am home unless I really make my presence known to him, then he has to smell my hand before he gets excited that it's me.

He defacates in the house nearly every day, (he doesn't get upset, because he doesn't know what he's doing is wrong) yet he still has the nouce to go out through the doggy door for a pee. When he does go outside, he doesn't get very far before he does his business, so I have to make sure I clean it up a few times a day, so other people (or him) walk in it.

When people come round and see him, they are amazed at his age, because he looks and acts so young. When it's getting close to tea time he runs round like a spring lamb, but he'll pace for an hour sometimes longer before it's time for his dinner. It's not as if he's expecting treats, because he never gets fed from the kitchen bench or dinner table. The only treat he gets is a small soft biscuit when I come in from work. He paces continuously, especially if he's anxious, which he becomes for no apparent reason, and will walk the same track for an hour or more before he gets bored(I assume he gets bored) and then goes and gets in his bed. He generally goes to his bed voluntarily at about 6pm, but he has about 5 attempts before he decides to stay in bed. He gets up at about 7pm and goes out straight away, but he is so stiff he looks like a stiff legged robot. I have to shut him out for about 5 to 10 minutes to make sure he does his business, otherwise he comes back inside and poops on the carpet straightaway.

I know this is long winded, but I want you to realise what a dilemma I am in and would really appreciate you advice.

At the beginning of this year my father died suddenly (we live with my mother and father) which confused Rocky greatly, even with the dementia. Because of my dad's death, my mum and I find ourselves in a situation where we have to move house. I am frightened that Rocky will not cope with the move. At present, where we are he knows exactly where everything is, and walks around the furniture accordingly. How would it effect him if I was to move him to a totally new environment that he has never had to negotiate before. His sense of smell seems so be the only thing that's working, but even that he has to get quite close to know exactly what it is.

He also has a Heart Murmur, which causes him to pant eternally. The only time he stops panting is when he's resting. It's not laboured breathing, just continous panting.

BUT, according to his last checkup, about 6 months ago, he's not in any pain. I don't want to have him put to sleep if he's happy and can cope with the change, I want to do what's best for Rocky. I love him so much and he's been my constant companion for so long.

I've made an appointment to see his vet (I'm not taking Rocky because he stresses out way too much when he goes there) and have a chat with her and get her advice/opinion. She's known him since he was a pup.

Please let me know what you would do in a similar situation.

Zoom

Edited by Guest

I would say take baby steps with Rocky & see how he goes.

If you have to move you have to move hopefully he will be able to cope with the changes.

Make sure you put his bed in a similar place to where it is in the house now

(ie if it is in a corner now try and put him in a corner again) If possible try & set

up the furniture in a similiar set out and perhaps have him on a lead for a while

to walk him around the new surroundings and set up so that he imprints in his mind

how it is all laid out.

I admire you for sticking with your little guy, after all if they are not in pain then what is

a little bit of dementia and a few accidents :thumbsup: I have a huge soft spot for the grey nomads

(the older kids) and I hope that I can have mine around for at least 17 years too.

Good on you for having a chat to the vet & I am sure you will get good information on how

to go about the changes you need to make.

Best of Luck with it all & please pass on a cuddle and bum scratch to Rocky from me :thumbsup:

Please let us know how it goes and give updates on progress.

i think you answered the question yourself when you said "I don't want to have him put to sleep if he's happy and can cope with the change"

you don't know how well he will cope until you have moved. you can then re-assess after he has been in the new house for a while.

I did a house move with an old, deaf, blind and feeble dog. She was really ancient (16 or 17) when we moved. The biggest thing that worried her was when there were boxes everywhere, furniture in the way, movers dashing around and general chaos. She couldn't find the new paths to the doorways and to me. She gave up, found a clean bit of floor and just sat there for about six hours.

It wasn't until things were sorted out a bit that I had time to 'orient' her to the new house. In just a day or two, she was alright. She lived for another five years - who knew?

So, if possible, have someone care for them in the old house for a few days until everything gets cleaned up a bit.

Apart from that tip, as long as the vet thinks he could cope, I'd say bring him with you and see how he goes. You can always make the decision to put him to sleep after you move; but if you make it before you move you might be second-guessing yourself in future.

Edited by Aussienot

Dogs are amazing, they do adapt. the above advice is spot on, I would not take him into the house until everything is sorted or maybe keep boxes in one room if you are unpacking slowing?

I would use some herbal remedies to support him as well, such as Rescue Remedy - available from the chemist. Buy the drop form and you can put it in his water, on his neck, in his mouth (if he can cope). Don't know if you are in Sydney but Chinese herbs are also fantastic and available at the All Natural Vet in Russell Lea.

Best of luck!

When are you moving?

You could start scent training straight away in your present house and then when you move. I'm no expert but I would be scenting things like his bed, around his water bowl & the door to outside, all with different scents of course.

And as dogmad said I also would be trying some Rescue Remedy or other herbal remedies. Your vet may be able to offer you some other treatments to stop him getting so stressed as well.

Thanx guys, you've made me feel much better. I will still have a chat with his vet and see what she thinks.

I've had a few differs of opinion from real dog lovers also, my sister who has had Dachsund's all her life and nursed her first one with a heart murmur and eventually a broken spinal chord and her second had a severe case a epiliepsy, but she looked after him to a ripe old age so I really respect her opinion. Her first utterance was to have a chat with the vet, but made me very aware at how anxious Rocky (my JR) get's and that the new place where we are moving, the people owned a cat (who was confined inside) and that would upset Rocky (like most JR's, he dislikes cats). She tried to make me feel better by saying if the vet did suggest the worst, then wouldn't it be best if he was in the home that he has always known (my vet comes out to the house because Rocky freaks out so much going to the surgery).

Everybody has an opinion, you really don't know what to do for the best. But it's no use getting upset about it at the moment as a) we are not moving until the end of June and b) I've not spoken to the vet yet. So when I speak to her, I will let you all know. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she will agree that with lots of love and attention, he'll make the move with as little aggravation and anxiety as possible. I've had him from 7 weeks old and he's now 16 going on 17 and I'd love to have him a few years more.

post-14712-1241350528.jpg

Edited by Guest

Dogs can and do adapt to almost anything if their handler understands how to help them adjust to changes. I'm sure that Rocky will do just fine with a move as long as you have adequate coping strategies. The one thing I would strongly recommend to do is place Rocky into a secure environment before you pack up the current house and leave him there until the new house is set up and ready to cope with his needs. I would (if this were my dog) put him into a trusted boarding kennel or if you have a home carer who has cared for him in the past, this may work better for Rocky.

The reason I suggest this is that Rocky has special needs which make him more vulnerable than the average dog. Movers don't understand this and are likely to leave doors and gates wide open...which can lead to tragedy. Dogs with altered senses don't cope well with having strangers in their territory.

I admire your courage in managing Rocky's health issues. Dementia is particularly tough on us, but the dogs seem to cope well enough. My cattle dog cross, Aussie showed symptoms of mild dementia from about 12 yrs but I'm sure he had the disease much earlier. He had all but disappeared because of his dementia by the time he passed...and we had required of him so many adjustments in his last six yrs of life (including two long distance moves, his first-ever kennel stay at the age of 12, plus an unaccompanied flight from Canberra to Darwin and numerous changes in vets over the years as we moved from place to place).

Back then, little was known about canine dementia and some vets actually scoffed at the idea...but it's commonly accepted these days that dogs can and do suffer with dementia and there are myriad ways of supporting dogs with the condition, with drugs, alternative remedies and behavioural/training methods all proving beneficial to a degree for most dogs.

I wish you and Rocky the best of everything...here's to a successful move and much more time with Rocky - he sounds like a delightful old fella. :happydance:

Edited by lillysmum