Heartworm Help

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whats wrong with the daily, and wouldnet the monthly contain the same active posion, but getting in in a much stronger dosage, hence it lasting the whole month

The daily tablets contain a completely different active ingredient to the monthly treatments. The risk lies in the daily administration, even a lapse of 2-3 days is sufficient to allow infection of a dog with heartworm. Additionally any dog that hasn't been on heartworm prevention MUST be tested prior to starting daily DEC treatment.

i dont mind doing it daily, but il have alook around for produts with that ingreident, thanks for your help

I would NEVER permit the injectable heartworm preventative.

Sorry but another newbie question, what is wrong with the yearly injections?

There's no way you would get me to go back and use that daily stuff.

It contains a poison that you give daily.

I would rather use one dose monthly.

I also feel sorry for the Collie breeds that have to have the daily.

The difference being that the 'monthly' ones release over the whole period of 45 days? Save that the active ingredient in the daily drug is (from what I'm informed) the more 'kinder' drug for the dog. So how do you figure the monthly one is better?

The difference being that the 'monthly' ones release over the whole period of 45 days? Save that the active ingredient in the daily drug is (from what I'm informed) the more 'kinder' drug for the dog. So how do you figure the monthly one is better?

what i was thinking aswell

erny, do you use the daily?

And like Poodlefan, I would not treat the animal with an overlap of drugs. IE Intestinal worm medication plus heartworm. Do them at different times.

Can i ask why? Too much at once?

Okay, I'm probably going to sound dumb and let myself in for a lot of flak - but what is wrong with the annual heartworm injections??

We've been giving them to ours for as long as I can remember with no problems (that I know of). We went that way because I was paranoid I might forget to dose them and now when I take them for their annual vaccinations I just get the heart worm done too.

Obviously with puppies I don't get this done until they're 12 months old. Until this time I give them the monthly.

Okay, I'm probably going to sound dumb and let myself in for a lot of flak - but what is wrong with the annual heartworm injections??

A lot of very adverse reactions from dogs. :)

Immediate or long term?? What sort of reactions??

This is not actually correct. The monthly tablets do not slow release - the active ingredient only stays around in the body for a couple of days. It's during this time that it kills certain life stages of the heartworm - all prior to the adult stage. Basically speaking, the ivermectin kills heartworm larvae from the age of 0-30days, so on the day you give the monthly chew, any heartworm aquired in the last 30 days (or probably 45-60 days) will be killed.

The daily tablet kills the larvae in the final stage before it becomes an adult. That's why it's important to give it every day, as by missing just a couple of days allows the larvae to reach adult hood. It's dangerous to give the daily tablet to a dog that has adult heartworm, because the babies that the adults produce, can react with the drug. The daily tab is also not 100% - we have had dogs test positive to heartworm that have been on the daily tabs.

So basically, giving a daily tablet is actually giving more chemicals, as its a regular daily dose, where as the monthly tabs is only around for a couple of days.

A lot of very adverse reactions from dogs. :)

Immediate or long term?? What sort of reactions??

Well, the worse one is permanent--death. It killed many many dogs here in America, (the 6 month ProHeart.)..including my 4 year old golden retriever, Hunter Here deaths are reported to the animal division of the Food and Drug Adminstration The reactions that caused the most deaths were autoimmune hemolytic anemia, liver damage and seizures. Many also developed gastric bleedig. Many that survied are on meds the rest of their lives.

My Hunter was hit with the AIHA and liver damage. His histopath report from necropsy stated "cdug induced necrosis of the liver. Several lost more than one dog. Jean B. in Colorado took all 3 of hers in and got ProHeart6 the same day. In two months, 4 year old Tasah was dead of AIHA and 11 year old Niki dead of the liver damage, and 2 year old Casey on meds---and 6 years later he is still on meds. Stacy in Floida took both hers in the same day and a couple of days later her pom precious was dead and her sheltie Jamie Lyn was fighting for her life. She did survive. One in Philly lost both of her hers, one in Canada lost 3 including her seeing-eye-golden.

We found each other over the net and we worked together spreading the word. Meanwhile the FDA vet saw a pattern of deaths and reactions and started the recall procedure. It is the only drug for dogs ever pulled . According to Dr. Hampshire, the FDA vet, there were over 600 reported deaths, 6000 reactions and only 10 to 15% are reported--meaning thousdands of deaths in the 3 years it was on the market here.

Many of us are still in close contact with each other and the FDA. We have done massive studes of all the different heartworm preventions. We can get all the info from ourgovernemnt thru the Freedome of Information Act. One lady who is a whiz at this has the site www.dogsadversereactions.com and thereyou can find a ton of info. Proheart6 killed more dogs in 3 years than allothes combined and some had been out 25 years.

My Hunter died Oct. 16, 2003 and it was pulled from the market Sept. 3, 2004. It was only allowed back on last summer after being off almost 4 years, but it has a TON of wanrings that include not giving it to weak, under weight dogs, Do not ive within a month of any vaccination. Use extreme care using it on dogs with allergies, including food allergies. Also, use care when using it on dogs over 7 years of age. AND before vets can purchase it they have to take a class over the web. My vet pushed it the first time out. He is carrying it again BUT he does not have any of the posters or pamplets around. You have to specifically ask for it and he has to give all the warnings. And by the way, the 12 month version is TRIPLE the srength of the 6 month version used here. That was stated at the hearing Jan. 31, 2005 in their first attempt to get it back on the market. They were trying to say there were no rections reported down ther, but we had proof that was not true.

One thing, tho, the monthly pills do not stay in their system. What it does is kill the baby worms they have picked up in the previous month. I had thought it stayed a month until all the problems with PrtoHeart came up. Id DID STAY in their system and was released over a 6 month period. One of the things was if a dog ha a reaction to it, nothing could be done it had the stuff in it's system for 6 months. Whereas the Interceptor, etc is gone in about 36 hours. It is actually a dewormer rather than prevention.

I have no ideda how bad mosquitoes are down there, bt here on the Texas coast, it is almost a certainty that if you dog is not on the pills they will get heartworms. Honey was right at a year old when we adopted her--and she was heartworm positive. Our neighbors moved in with a cocker and added another, refused to give the pills because the ogs were indoor dogs and lost both of them to heartworms. And I would never go more than 45 days between pills. I use Interceptor as it also controls hook, whip and round worms and we have never had a dog develop heartworms or other worms--esxcept tape worms once--in the many many years I have used it. My only mistake was putting my Hunter on that stinking ProHeart6.

If this work, it is a picture of my Hunter, lost to PrHeart6 and our oldest son.

H.jpg

Edited by goldens

Hunter was beautiful.

Now you have certainly given me food for thought. I was totally unaware and our vet in Sydney always pushed it.

I had my 12 year old boy vaccinated/annual heart worm just a couple of weeks ago and my other girl had the same back in March.

Next year I will definately be looking at alternatives.

Thanks.

If you do choose the yearly heartworm injection (I'm one that would never use it) it should never be given in conjuction, on the same day, as normal vaccinations.

Is this part of an "official" warning for the product? My vet gave the C5 and heartworm on the same day - I aksed her if this was standard and she said yes!

If you do choose the yearly heartworm injection (I'm one that would never use it) it should never be given in conjuction, on the same day, as normal vaccinations.

Is this part of an "official" warning for the product? My vet gave the C5 and heartworm on the same day - I aksed her if this was standard and she said yes!

DITTO

NO, the Australian product comes with no such warning, in fact it suggests that that it can be given at time of vaccination.

The USA/Canada product information is different.