Cephalexin

YES! My girl was on it for a UTI. She became lethargic, wasn't hungry(strange for a Cavalier!), started to have bloody poos and generally depressed.

Changed her back on to Clavulox and all was good. I only gave her the other one for 2 doses.

Ditto ot most of CavsRcute post...

Lethargic, supressed appetite and general lack of interest (we have a couple of dogs with intolerance to Clavulox so have used it a number of times with similar results for each dog).

The most common sides effects to cephalexin are gastrointestinal - so inappetance, lethargy, vomiting and diarrhoea.

If any of these occur and you feel they are related to the medication let your vet know so they can substitute another antibiotic.

Cephalexin brings me out in hives - not pretty :rolleyes:

My older dog was on Cephalexin for a skin problem. He was fine on it.

I was on it for a kidney infection and my head felt weird (weirder than normal!!). I read the leaflet and it said a possible side effect was "visual disturbances". That pretty much described it! :rolleyes:

My last dog was on it from time to time for skin probs. He had to have it on an empty stomach otherwise he would vomit. Once we worked out to give it at least an hour or two before food or several hours after, he was fine. It did work better than clavulox for his particular skin problems.

It's a drug widely given to both humans and dogs.

Any drug can have side effects.

I was at all worried, would discuss with vet and/or take dog back to vet to be examined.

It can be hard to separate a side effect from the disease/ infection/ problem the drug is prescribe to treat.

Beware the internet diagnosis!

Rappie, would there be any reason to suspect a reaction if an (old ) dog with a history of 1 episode of a major bacterial liver infection was given it?

My old girl (almost 15) had an epsiode overnight and was unable to stand this morning, urinated everywhere and some neuro damage. Found her this morning when we went to let her outside.

she was pts today.

I'm sorry to hear that Colliewood :rofl:

In terms of drug reactions, it is possible for an individual to have any kind of idiosyncratic reaction that can't be predicted. Any type of organ failure or dysfunction may alter the way a particular drug is metabolised but cephalexin is usually quite well tolerated. In an older dog with an acute onset of neurological signs and change in mentation I would consider the possibility of a 'stroke' or another underlying disease process. It's very hard to make comment without any other knowledge of the case.

Thanks Rappie,

I know it would be difficult to comment, that's fine. It's just something I thought of today and wanted to at least ask the question.

It certainly looked like a stroke her eyes were unable to focus and continualy moving. We knew this day would come, she was 24 hrs off being pts 15 months ago with the liver infection and bounced back. So the last 15 mths have been a real bonus.

ta